Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 11:09 PM

2 posts, read 5,562 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to Troy, NY for a job offer. I currently live in San Diego, but have lived in California for my whole life. I grew up in the Bay area, but have lived in southern CA for the last 10 years.

What I really want to know is, what is the lifestyle like in Troy? I have my concerns about the East Coast, but I'll admit that those are based mostly on stereotypes and speculation. I've only been to NYC for vacation, never Troy.

What can you tell me about living in Troy, NY? I've read that it's a college town, but I've also read that there isn't anything to do in Troy. If anyone has lived in southern CA and now lives in Troy, can you tell me how it compares? I know the weather will be the biggest thing because I'm used to having pretty much only one season (yay so cal weather!) and Troy actually has four different seasons :P

Oh, and a bit about me - I'm in my mid twenties and not that big into partying, but I like to live a really active lifestyle by going to a lot of events and being outdoorsy (biking, hiking etc.). I was told that there were hiking trails in Troy, but are those close by?

Any and all information about the lifestyle and culture of NY would be awesome! Please let me know as much as you can because I've never been to Troy before and don't want to regret moving there because I didn't know about something.

Last edited by birdie115; 07-26-2012 at 11:11 PM.. Reason: Updating info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 05:11 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
There is zero comparison to San Diego. If I had to choose a city in California to compare Troy to, it would be Vallejo. There are some hiking trails, but IMHO, Troy is just not a great place to live. You might be happier in Saratoga.

I do hope you plan on visiting the area to check it out before making a decision to move there.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:20 AM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
There is zero comparison to San Diego. If I had to choose a city in California to compare Troy to, it would be Vallejo. There are some hiking trails, but IMHO, Troy is just not a great place to live. You might be happier in Saratoga.

I do hope you plan on visiting the area to check it out before making a decision to move there.
Vallejo and Troy are similar? Troy is a blue collar city of 50,000, with varying neighborhoods and has a college presence due to RPI and Hudson Valley CC(just outside of town). If you don't like Troy, suburbs like East Greenbush, Latham and Averill Park may work for you. What kind of neighborhood would you be interested in, OP?

Old 07-27-2012, 06:06 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
What stereotypes have you heard?

Old 07-27-2012, 06:57 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,016 times
I have been to San Diego a few times. Troy is absolutely nothing like it and other SoCal areas I've visited. I really don't think it's possible to compare Troy to any SoCal area whatsoever.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:48 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
Why would you leave beautiful sunny San Diego for gloomy Troy, NY? Not saying Troy is an awful place, and one could easily enjoy it as long as one didn't know how great life in San Diego was first.

My advice: Stay put. You are the envy of the nation living in San Diego. The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:35 AM

4 posts, read 12,176 times
Troy, NY?
Seriously? You are joking, right?

Don't do it. Stop and stay in CA.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:50 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
Yeah, as other posters have stated, you're out of your mind for wanting to relocate from Cali to Troy of all places.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:51 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Vallejo and Troy are similar? Troy is a blue collar city of 50,000, with varying neighborhoods and has a college presence due to RPI and Hudson Valley CC(just outside of town). If you don't like Troy, suburbs like East Greenbush, Latham and Averill Park may work for you. What kind of neighborhood would you be interested in, OP?
Vallejo is also blue collar. Vallejo also has varying neighborhoods. It also has a college presence with Solano CC and California Maritime Academy and Touro University.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:31 PM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Vallejo is also blue collar. Vallejo also has varying neighborhoods. It also has a college presence with Solano CC and California Maritime Academy and Touro University.
Vallejo also has or had a strong military presence and I believe is one of the Blackest cities in CA, but with high Asian and Hispanic populations too. It is less dense overall than Troy. So, Troy is pretty urban for its size. What other information can we give? Troy is close to the Adirondacks, the Berkshires of MA and the Catskills. Here is some information on Troy neighborhoods: Neighborhoods

TROY.NY :: Neighborhoods & Associations

and a small, fairly dense city across the Hudson that is trying to transform itself: City of Cohoes, NY - City of Cohoes, NY

Cohoes, NY Directory | Tourist Attractions | Shopping | Dining | Entertainment | Albany | Cohoes | New York | NY

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-27-2012 at 02:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area