U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2012, 08:43 PM

95 posts, read 104,820 times

Advertisements

In another thread someone posted that "every Capital District transplant they ever met couldn't wait to leave." If you are or were a transplant, how do you feel about the Capital District?

We were transplants that moved there with very high hopes but left disappointed. I'd be curious to here from other transplants and their experiences.

Things we disliked were the overall economy which has very few high paying jobs, the long dreary dismal winters, the run-down depressing cities of Albany, Troy, and Schenectady, and the lack of good restaurants. The schools were OK but not great (we lived in the Shen School District).

Things we liked included inexpensive housing (relative depending on where you are from) the beautiful summer weather, access to great outdoor activities, the lack of any real traffic except the Northway which is nothing if you are from a major mero area, and the shopping convenience we had in Clifton Park/Halfmoon which pretty much has everything within a very short drive.

The Capital District is the bright spot of Upstate NY as far as places to live, the rest of upstate NY is absolutely dismal with the possible exception of the Glens Falls area. I had to go to the Utica/Rome area for work quite a bit and was blown away by what a dismal place it was.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 09:09 PM

6,616 posts, read 12,781,440 times
I moved out of Albany to Florida for two months because I thought I'd never miss the rude people, crappy weather, terrible schools, and higher than average crime. However, I couldn't take the ridiculous heat of Florida even in the month of March, the incredibly unintelligent Floridian population, the amount of exotic creatures and massive bugs EVERYWHERE, and the high percentage of older people scattered all throughout the region. Granted, I should have known that, but I guess you live and learn.

So I moved back up here for a couple months and now I'm heading back south to Atlanta, GA. This time I actually sent 4 days in ATL before moving (I hadn't done that before I moved to FL). The thing that I like about ATL is that it seems to have a much higher percentage of educated people (who don't call you a Yankee all the time), along with the fact that the city seems to be much cleaner than the city of Tampa which I had spent a lot of time in in FL.

A lot of people rant and rave about the awesome schools that the upstate region have but I can't say that I agree. I mean, the schools probably do better statistically than others, giving them their status, but I just don't know that they'll be able to maintain them with all the budget cuts that they're being hit with. The schools around the area where I graduated are having to cut nearly all sports and the majority of their elective classes.

Overall, I can't see myself ever moving back to the upstate region. If anything, I'd be in NYC.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:29 PM

Jobs are pretty scarce too, which also prompted me to leave. Unless you're in the health field.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:31 PM

69,831 posts, read 96,633,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebloke View Post
In another thread someone posted that "every Capital District transplant they ever met couldn't wait to leave." If you are or were a transplant, how do you feel about the Capital District?

We were transplants that moved there with very high hopes but left disappointed. I'd be curious to here from other transplants and their experiences.

Things we disliked were the overall economy which has very few high paying jobs, the long dreary dismal winters, the run-down depressing cities of Albany, Troy, and Schenectady, and the lack of good restaurants. The schools were OK but not great (we lived in the Shen School District).

Things we liked included inexpensive housing (relative depending on where you are from) the beautiful summer weather, access to great outdoor activities, the lack of any real traffic except the Northway which is nothing if you are from a major mero area, and the shopping convenience we had in Clifton Park/Halfmoon which pretty much has everything within a very short drive.

The Capital District is the bright spot of Upstate NY as far as places to live, the rest of upstate NY is absolutely dismal with the possible exception of the Glens Falls area. I had to go to the Utica/Rome area for work quite a bit and was blown away by what a dismal place it was.
You based the rest of Upstate NY on the Utica-Rome area. Really?

Old 07-29-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You based the rest of Upstate NY on the Utica-Rome area. Really?
Just caught that too lol. I think the OP may have just been giving an example of an area outside the region he/she had been too that was dismal compared to the Capitol Region. Who knows.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I moved out of Albany to Florida for two months because I thought I'd never miss the rude people, crappy weather, terrible schools, and higher than average crime. However, I couldn't take the ridiculous heat of Florida even in the month of March, the incredibly unintelligent Floridian population, the amount of exotic creatures and massive bugs EVERYWHERE, and the high percentage of older people scattered all throughout the region. Granted, I should have known that, but I guess you live and learn.

So I moved back up here for a couple months and now I'm heading back south to Atlanta, GA. This time I actually sent 4 days in ATL before moving (I hadn't done that before I moved to FL). The thing that I like about ATL is that it seems to have a much higher percentage of educated people (who don't call you a Yankee all the time), along with the fact that the city seems to be much cleaner than the city of Tampa which I had spent a lot of time in in FL.

A lot of people rant and rave about the awesome schools that the upstate region have but I can't say that I agree. I mean, the schools probably do better statistically than others, giving them their status, but I just don't know that they'll be able to maintain them with all the budget cuts that they're being hit with. The schools around the area where I graduated are having to cut nearly all sports and the majority of their elective classes.

Overall, I can't see myself ever moving back to the upstate region. If anything, I'd be in NYC.
Schools in many states are cutting back, unfortunately. So, that is pretty much a national issue. Many say that money is pretty irrelevant in terms of school performance. So, we'll see how that goes.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Schools in many states are cutting back, unfortunately. So, that is pretty much a national issue. Many say that money is pretty irrelevant in terms of school performance. So, we'll see how that goes.
Yeah it certainly is a national issue and I probably won't notice too much about schools in ATL since I'm not in school anymore and don't have kids. I doubt money's not a factor in school performance when teaching jobs are being cut and class sizes are growing to 40-50 kids.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:43 AM

841 posts, read 1,805,448 times
Default We hate it here-

We transplanted, reluctantly, because my husband got a job. I'm from NY and know upstate is impoverished and lacks jobs, but we had to go somewhere.

He was fired 9 months later. .

The people who he worked for sounded like idiots. He previously held jobs for 3 years at one place and 7 at another, so "it was not him."

We've lived in many places both in the USA and abroad and the people here are incredibly rude and blue collar. I don't mean that in a stuck up way but their idea of fun is beer and smoking. I never saw so many people who smoke in any other area in NY.

The weather is not so bad but it's the attitude of people. So *****. Just a **** you type vibe. No one talks to ANYONE in my apartment complex. It's so weird. No one does anything but cocoon and watch tv and smoke and drink.

Housing is cheap but you need to have jobs so that point is irrelevant.

We've been trying to get out for months but it's like we are trapped in this stupid area and our attitudes are becoming horrible. I just want to move on.

I much prefer Queensbury and Glens Falls (at least there's nature) but they have less jobs than here.

I know the whole country is suffering but I have no intention of staying here where you can only get by on unemployment or welfare.

Ugh. Good bye Albany. Armpit of NY.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
We transplanted, reluctantly, because my husband got a job. I'm from NY and know upstate is impoverished and lacks jobs, but we had to go somewhere.

He was fired 9 months later. .

The people who he worked for sounded like idiots. He previously held jobs for 3 years at one place and 7 at another, so "it was not him."

We've lived in many places both in the USA and abroad and the people here are incredibly rude and blue collar. I don't mean that in a stuck up way but their idea of fun is beer and smoking. I never saw so many people who smoke in any other area in NY.

The weather is not so bad but it's the attitude of people. So *****. Just a **** you type vibe. No one talks to ANYONE in my apartment complex. It's so weird. No one does anything but cocoon and watch tv and smoke and drink.

Housing is cheap but you need to have jobs so that point is irrelevant.

We've been trying to get out for months but it's like we are trapped in this stupid area and our attitudes are becoming horrible. I just want to move on.

I much prefer Queensbury and Glens Falls (at least there's nature) but they have less jobs than here.

I know the whole country is suffering but I have no intention of staying here where you can only get by on unemployment or welfare.

Ugh. Good bye Albany. Armpit of NY.
What kind of jobs is he looking for? Sometimes it is about the type of jobs available than the overall volume of jobs available.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:27 AM

841 posts, read 1,805,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Jobs are pretty scarce too, which also prompted me to leave. Unless you're in the health field.
Unless you get BLACKLISTED from jobs by being fired. My husband cannot apply at any other hospitals in the area because he was fired. Anyone in their "network" is banned.

I don't understand why people keep saying there are so many jobs. I see the same few jobs at agencies.

I guess some people are living well, and more power to them.

ckhthankgod--My husband is in inventory work or shipping or warehouse work...more than a broad area but there is NOTHING here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area