Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 02:35 PM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Why not split the difference and look into Colonie or Guilderland? Here's a good apartment guide: Albany Apartment Rentals | Albany NY Apartment Finder

Renters Guide | Apartments in Albany | Albany NY Apartments | Albany Apartments for Rent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 04:59 PM

20 posts, read 42,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
You must have been high and drunk as you were doing this. I can't think of any place in the Bronx Jr. that would come off as "a cool place".
HAHAHA!!! I didn't know--It's not like the Bloods, Crips, and Latin Kings have a say in what goes on those maps. Well...at least I don't think they do.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Why not split the difference and look into Colonie or Guilderland? Here's a good apartment guide: Albany Apartment Rentals | Albany NY Apartment Finder

Renters Guide | Apartments in Albany | Albany NY Apartments | Albany Apartments for Rent
Ehh, moving somewhere new, I'd rather stick to a city...I have at least another 20 years before the burbs start to look appealing to me.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDuBois View Post
Ehh, moving somewhere new, I'd rather stick to a city...I have at least another 20 years before the burbs start to look appealing to me.
I understand..... I guess the only other alternative could be suburban cities like Cohoes or Watervliet, but both may be too small and a bit out of the way.

Cohoes, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cohoes, NY Directory | Tourist Attractions | Shopping | Dining | Entertainment | Albany | Cohoes | New York | NY
City of Cohoes, NY - City of Cohoes, NY

Watervliet, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Welcome to the City of Watervliet, NY!

Old 08-06-2012, 08:36 PM

334 posts, read 851,851 times
As a young, single person, I agree - you probably want to stay in one of the (small) cities. The towns are VERY suburban in feel. Even as a middle-aged women with kids I found them too suburban, which is why I moved from Guilderland to Albany. There are plenty of neighborhoods in Schenectady that are not "Bronx Jr." I have had several young, single colleagues who lived in the Stockade and loved it - a couple of them moved down South for job-related reasons and still pine for Schenectady years later (all were natives of other areas). I am in the cultural/museum field, though, so young people in that field likely value the historic aspect of it more than average. Albany probably has the most going on for young people, although Troy also has a small but vibrant artsy young community.

My husband looked very seriously at a job in Pittsburgh a couple of years ago. We really liked the fact that it is a much bigger city than Albany. There isn't much of a big city feel here. However, the weather here is not as gray/cloudy as Pittsburgh. Traffic/travel is also much easier here - partly because of the smaller population and partly because we don't have the same geography as Pittsburgh - hills and rivers - that makes it hard to get around.

Cost of housing in general is somewhat similar, but we find housing in desirable urban neighborhoods to be significantly higher in Pittsburgh. We were looking at housing specifically in the Allerdice High School cachement area, though - especially Squirrel Hill, which I understand is one of the pricier neighborhoods.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:57 PM

255 posts, read 487,971 times
Also if you're going to visit Albany I'd recommend driving down these streets to get a pretty good feel for the city:

Central Avenue
Washington Avenue
Western Avenue
New Scotland Avenue
Delaware Avenue

These streets are all long and stretch from about downtown to the suburbs. Also on your visit be sure to hit walk around these neighborhoods:

Central Ave: https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en
Delaware Ave: https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en
Center Square: https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en
Helderberg: https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en
Pine Hills: https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en
and Madison Ave.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:42 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDuBois View Post
HAHAHA!!! I didn't know--It's not like the Bloods, Crips, and Latin Kings have a say in what goes on those maps. Well...at least I don't think they do.
Lol I had a lot of friends who moved from the Bronx to Schenectady because it was cheaper to live. Let's just say that I ran with the wrong crowd for a while and these were some of the people. I don't think there's a ton of gang activity in Schenectady, but every now and then there'll be a shooting or stabbing and you'll hear about gang references in the news.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:26 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,340 times
Dude, do yourself a favor and stay in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is only getting better.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarchivist98 View Post
As a young, single person, I agree - you probably want to stay in one of the (small) cities. The towns are VERY suburban in feel. Even as a middle-aged women with kids I found them too suburban, which is why I moved from Guilderland to Albany. There are plenty of neighborhoods in Schenectady that are not "Bronx Jr." I have had several young, single colleagues who lived in the Stockade and loved it - a couple of them moved down South for job-related reasons and still pine for Schenectady years later (all were natives of other areas). I am in the cultural/museum field, though, so young people in that field likely value the historic aspect of it more than average. Albany probably has the most going on for young people, although Troy also has a small but vibrant artsy young community.

My husband looked very seriously at a job in Pittsburgh a couple of years ago. We really liked the fact that it is a much bigger city than Albany. There isn't much of a big city feel here. However, the weather here is not as gray/cloudy as Pittsburgh. Traffic/travel is also much easier here - partly because of the smaller population and partly because we don't have the same geography as Pittsburgh - hills and rivers - that makes it hard to get around.

Cost of housing in general is somewhat similar, but we find housing in desirable urban neighborhoods to be significantly higher in Pittsburgh. We were looking at housing specifically in the Allerdice High School cachement area, though - especially Squirrel Hill, which I understand is one of the pricier neighborhoods.
I've been trying to find out how the museum/cultral scene is here (didn't you pop up at the perfect time!). I keep hearing the nightlife sucks, but I could even that part out by checking out a gallery crawl or something...As crazy as it sounds, I can handle drugs and crime around me much better than boredom.

As far as Pgh goes, there's no city feel here either. Ask any native, it's a city of towns. Downtown is strictly for work, and shuts down after 6.
The traffic is absurd because the drivers are timid/stupid and ride their brakes like crazy... It's about to get worse since the city is planning to cut 30% of the public transportation lines next month
(WHAT "PROGRESSIVE" CITY DOES THIS???)

Squirrel Hill south--the area you're talking about-- is about the same as other parts of the city. Now north of Forbes Avenue, near Shadyside and Point Breeze, is obnoxiously expensive...considering both of those places border neighborhoods with the most crime in the city. (Shadyside=East Liberty, Point Breeze=Homewood)

Old 08-08-2012, 07:05 AM

Here you go: 1st Friday of Albany

Troy Night Out

Art Night Schenectady - Home Page

http://mohufest.com/

Metroland

The Cohoes Music Hall

The Egg | Center for the Performing Arts

Albany Center Gallery - Serving the Capital Region's Art Community

Lark Street BID :: Events :: LarkFEST

SPAC–Saratoga Performing Arts Center

Proctors, Schenectady, New York - Official Website

Troy Savings Bank Music Hall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area