Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 02:48 PM

24 posts, read 32,430 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I've read many of the posts here about the area. I understand that no place is perfect. With the exception of a 4 year stint in Illinois, I've only lived in the south. Born and raised in TN, college in KY, and now we live in Georgia. My wife, a native of KY, is thinking of applying for a job at Union, and has put me in charge of researching the area.

My question is, now much of a shock will it be to live in NY? We H A T E the summer here. It's so so hot and humid, and we're stuck inside. The little spring and fall we have are nice, but we're too busy to enjoy them. Just how bad ARE the winters? I can handle cold and snow, and I think it would be nice for our son to experience it, too. Is it windy?

We're pretty friendly people, and tend to be 'bloom where we're planted' types. Is being an outsider (particularly one with a Southern Appalachian accent) going to hurt me and the family?

Also, I teach at a private school because I became fed up with the red tape and regulations of public schools. How are the private schools in the area? I support public schools and have no problem sending my child to a public school, but I'm not sure if I can bear to teach in one again.

Again, any help is appreciated. We're just trying to do what is best for our family and a move now might just be it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 03:59 PM

92,575 posts, read 122,853,324 times
Are you looking for an urban or suburban area/neighborhood?

There are plenty of private schools in the area. So, you may be able to find employment at one of them.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:34 PM

334 posts, read 849,465 times
My husband's family is from the south. (As my kids say, he's a hillbilly). People here will definitely comment on your accent, but more in a friendly, curious sort of way. There doesn't seem to be as much prejudice against Southerners as there is in Boston or the NYC area. You might want to look at the older posts on A Professor's Wife blog on the Times-Union web page. The author is from rural West Virginia, and her early posts talk about her transition here.

People are much friendlier here than in larger urban areas, but you are not going to get the kind of friendly chit-chat that you do in the South. People are just more closed off up North. My college roommate is from South Carolina, and she says it's all superficial down there, but give me that sort of superficial check-out person or store clerk any day! That said, taking a job at Union would already tie you into a network of people that knows what it is like to be a newcomer here, and from what I hear, it is a supportive place with good employee morale. (As opposed to RPI, which has rock-bottom staff morale at the moment. To a lesser extent, this is also true at UAlbany outside of the Nanoscience school.)

It's hard for me to comment rationally on winter because I LOVE winter and don't particularly like summer. It sounds like you are coming in with an attitude where you can handle it. For your first winter, you may want to rent in a place in a complex so things like shoveling are taken care of for you until you know what to expect. Our autumns are particularly gorgeous here, but spring is practically non-existent. We seem to go from winter to summer.

There are some private schools here, but they are not nearly as big as in some other places, such as St. Louis. I don't know much about schools in Atlanta, so it's hard for me to compare. Because of the economy, most private schools around here are hurting - fewer students - so I don't know that the teaching prospects would be great. But I really don't know. If you happen to be certified in Montessori, you will probably have a better chance since it seems difficult to find certified Montessori teachers around here.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:41 PM

I think we are open to either, actually. I've read quite a bit about 'crime' and 'bad neighborhoods' in Schenectady, but it CAN'T be worse than the city we're coming from. If it's an issue of where you live in the city, we just won't live in those areas! I'd like to live somewhere with good schools for our son, and within a 15-25 drive to Union for my wife. I've read that quite a bit of UC faculty live in Niskayuna and that is fine, I suppose. I'd like to live where there are sidewalks, so we can walk some places, etc. Here the suburbs have NO sidewalks. I think that's not the same in the older, more established cities of the NE.

Really my main concern in the social aspect of living there and if the weather will kill us! I know property taxes are much higher (we pay $1300 a year for city/county/school on a 2000 sq ft home with 1/4 acre), but other things will balance that out (like the ability to send my child to a public school! and not having to pay an 'ad valorem tax on our cars) Really I think that if I can watch the Braves in the summer, SEC football in the fall and see some Tennessee basketball games in the winter, I'll be happy! ;-)

Old 10-21-2012, 04:55 PM

255 posts, read 486,219 times
I can vouch for the private schools in the area: they're all pretty good.

Albany Academy, Albany Academy for Girls, Holy Names, La Salle, Christian Brothers Academy, Emma Willard are the ones you should look to teach for. They're all very respected schools.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:43 PM

267 posts, read 969,163 times
I've made a few posts about the various neighborhoods of Schenectady, you should be able to find them if you search the site. I think you might be shocked, we are supposed to get a lot of snow this winter, BUT considering your attitude, you'll be just fine!

My suggestion is prepare for the weather. Figure out a winter activity that you enjoy! Get the right clothing and gear. Buy fun winter stuff your your son, sled, ice skates, etc. Buy second hand gear at Play it Again Sports on Rt. 7 Latham. We outfit our kids with new skates for about $15/kid. There are great ice skating, Learn to Play Hockey & Rec Hockey programs at Union College that my son has done/ is doing. Depending on where you live, also check out other rinks like Sch'dy Co., Albany Co. etc for lessons. Outdoor skating is a lot of fun though. Central Park in Sch'dy, Collins Lake in Scotia. My kids love sledding at Sch'dy Muni Golf Course. We also snow shoe as a family, which is good for about ages 5 and up. You can rent at LL Bean (Mohawk Commons in Niskayuna) or Freeman's Bridge Sports in Glenville. Easy places to test them out are the golf course, and Great Flats in Rotterdam. We love to go to the Christman Sanctuary though. A few winters ago the waterfall was frozen and just gorgeous! I love having 4 seasons.

Let me know if you have any questions about the area. I am originally from this area, lived in the south for several years and moved back. I really like Schenectady, my kids go to public schools and enjoy all that this area has to offer! Hope you enjoy your move and grow to love this area too.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:19 PM

thanks everyone for the quick replies. There would be an adjustment period, I'm sure, but I think we'd be okay in the long run. Now for the tricky questions--

I've lived in the south almost my entire life. I wouldn't, however, paint myself as conservative. I always tell people I'm a 'radical moderate!' I'm sort of over the overt conservatism of the deep South, as well as the theocratic ideas that go along with the Republican party of the South. I'm a mainline/liberal Protestant Christian, which is a dying type of Protestantism here in the South, it seems.

My question is, how does the area compare in this regard? I would assume that it would be more liberal and less 'born-again,' but you never know.

Also, I'm just over trashy-ness in general. I may be southern, but I'm not white trash! (rednecks are not regional btw, they're everywhere--worst in Michigan, I think!). Black, white, green, it doesn't matter. Just don't be trashy. What is the trashy quotient up there? Smoking is another pet peeve of mine. Has NYS made smoking too expensive yet?

I'm not really a complainer, but there are things about where I live now that I'd like to not have to encounter (in such a high number) as I do in my current location!!

Old 10-21-2012, 06:58 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,795,958 times
The winters in upstate NY blow, especially if you've never really lived one through before. I am a northeasterner born and raised. When I moved to Atlanta 2 months ago I thought I was going to suffocate from the heat.

I'm glad you read the former threads about Schenectady. It is a sucky area. You can't really sugarcoat it. Once you move there and check it out, you will understand. Unless you're blind.

I'd check out Niskayuna if your wife is looking to work in Schenectady. No way would I ever have my children go to a school in Schenectady either. I had a friend who went there and was stabbed 3 times during gym.

Whatever you choose, good luck, but don't make an ignorant decision. It's highly recommended that you check out the city first before moving as well.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:00 PM

267 posts, read 969,163 times
Religion, I think you'll be fine. Here there is a huge cross section of religions. There are very conservative churches, very liberal and everything in between. I'm on the liberal end of the spectrum, but have friends who attend many different types of places of worship.

The trashy questions, I know what you mean, but I think you'll find it every where you go. Just different types, in cities vs. rural. If you live in the wealthiest of neighborhoods, you may not find any "trash", but in those neighborhoods I would be the "trash"...I don't drive a fancy car or wear fancy clothes, etc. I'm just your average soccer mom. All the different types of people, different cultures, dress, etc I consider part of my/and my kids education. There are all types in the world, and my kids (and me too) need to realize that.

Smoking, ugh I hate it too! Restaurants and bars are smoke free. Parks, playgrounds and school grounds are also smoke free....but you've always got the few that break the rules, and drive me up a wall.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:04 PM

trashy certainly isn't how you dress or the car you drive. Trashy is how you act and live you life. The very wealthy can be just as trashy as a low income person. Trash comes in all shapes and sizes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area