Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 11:31 PM

49 posts, read 162,855 times

Advertisements

Glad to hear you're considering moving here! I grew up in Niskayuna, went to high school in Colonie, and am now attending college in Troy-so I've gotten around a bit.

There's a lot of great areas around to live in-of course I am partial toward Niskayuna, which is next to Colonie, since I grew up there-but it is a little bit more expensive. Latham (also next to Colonie) and Colonie itself would probably be a bit cheaper-all three of these places are very safe, I think Colonie was once voted 'safest town in America'. In fact, this entire region is very safe, less some parts of downtown Albany, Schenectady, Troy.

If you don't mind a longer (30+ in rush hour) commute to work, then absolutely consider living in points north such as Clifton Park or Saratoga Springs.

This is a great place to raise a family-lots of stuff to do with kids. NYS museum, Schenectady Planetarium, Albany Pine Bush, Lake George, Great Escape. In the summer or early fall, take a trip up to the Adirondacks, the views are absolutely incredible. They are also great for skiing in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 07:26 PM

36 posts, read 85,140 times
So sorry for not replying immediately!! I was busy exploring, flew home (arriving at midnight) and was at work this am at 6:30 lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hock41 View Post
That's great! What'd you have? I ask because I'm actually planning on going there for dinner and then seeing a movie at the theatre next to it this weekend.
I think I had the blackened chicken sandwich, better late than never!

I am of course obsessed with the Washington Park area LOL! Absolutely loved it. However, I am not so sure that I would make a decision to live there over a decision to let my son have a yard to play in.... A few years ago, there would have been no question that it was the area for us!! I stayed in Colonie and drove through Latham and really liked both areas.. So it really comes down to deciding if we want activities around us to just walk to (i.e. Washington Park) and forsake a backyard for my son and dog, or a suburban life where we have nothing really to walk to, but have backyard.... Decisions, decisions lol

Can someone explain to me the whole Lark Street thing? I heard so many mixed opinions... Center Square but not past Lark Street, Lark Street is the hub of night life, bla bla... So what is the story?

Old 11-09-2012, 10:56 PM

255 posts, read 487,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabondsquirrel View Post
So sorry for not replying immediately!! I was busy exploring, flew home (arriving at midnight) and was at work this am at 6:30 lol.

I think I had the blackened chicken sandwich, better late than never!

I am of course obsessed with the Washington Park area LOL! Absolutely loved it. However, I am not so sure that I would make a decision to live there over a decision to let my son have a yard to play in.... A few years ago, there would have been no question that it was the area for us!! I stayed in Colonie and drove through Latham and really liked both areas.. So it really comes down to deciding if we want activities around us to just walk to (i.e. Washington Park) and forsake a backyard for my son and dog, or a suburban life where we have nothing really to walk to, but have backyard.... Decisions, decisions lol

Can someone explain to me the whole Lark Street thing? I heard so many mixed opinions... Center Square but not past Lark Street, Lark Street is the hub of night life, bla bla... So what is the story?

Well you can probably find some apartments/houses in Center Square that have yards. It's possible. Did you see the area around New Scotland Ave? You might like it there. There's some nice houses and nice size yards.

The Center Square area is defined generally, as the area between State St. and Madison Ave on the East and West, and Willett St. and South Swan St. on North and South. (Lark Street - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). So, the entire area surrounding Washington Park is not all considered to be Center Square. All of the streets surrounding the park are nice though so I wouldn't restrict myself to just Center Square.

In my opinion Albany has three nightlife "hubs," Lark Street, Pearl Street and the Warehouse District. Lark Street attracts more of a young professional, gay, hipster, artist, clientele than the other two "hubs."

That's not only what Lark Street/Center Square is though. You can read it in the Wikipedia link above but basically the street has (or is very close to) art museums/galleries, bookstores, coffee houses, vintage clothing and jewelry stores, a polish deli, a retro video game store, a bookstore, tattoo parlors and basically every type of ethnic food. It's a very fun place to be.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:34 AM

70 posts, read 125,819 times
Stick with the town of Colonie if good schools and family life are the top priority. Make sure to check if the house is zoned for North Colonie schools. South Colonie schools are good, North Colonie schools are great.

Lark Street and Washington Park are fun but don't move a family to the City of Albany unless you plan on private schools.

Where are you moving from??? It would help people give you better comparisons/advise. Anyway, stick with the town of Colonie if commute/access to airport/schools/family life are the priority.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:49 PM

334 posts, read 851,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedisciple View Post
Stick with the town of Colonie if good schools and family life are the top priority. Make sure to check if the house is zoned for North Colonie schools. South Colonie schools are good, North Colonie schools are great.

Lark Street and Washington Park are fun but don't move a family to the City of Albany unless you plan on private schools.

Where are you moving from??? It would help people give you better comparisons/advise. Anyway, stick with the town of Colonie if commute/access to airport/schools/family life are the priority.
There are lots of towns that are family friendly besides Colonie, although Colonie is closer to highways and the airport for commuting purposes. I prefer parts of Niskayuna and Bethlehem for families over Colonie. In parts of both of those towns it is easier for kids to get around on their own than in Colonie unless you happen to live very close to Central Ave. Colonie does have a great park, though, The Crossings, which will likely improve with time as trees grow. Colonie also has a great library - you may not tell from first glance - the building is in need of renovation and expansion - but the collection and programs are great.

If your kids are young, though, or if you don't even have them yet, you may want to stay in Albany or one of the cities. Most of the other towns are very geared towards families and retired people, although you can certainly find fun things to do if you look. Also, contrary to popular opinion, plenty of middle class parents (like myself) send their kids to public school in Albany. Safety-wise, I feel 100% confident. Kids are probably safer in Albany schools than in the burbs because there are more people watching them. There are fewer drugs in school itself than in the burbs (per folks I know in law enforcement and probation. They tell me suburban parents are more likely to get their kids off, though.), although it's probably easier for kids to get caught up in the wrong crowd in Albany. Academically, there are more trade-offs in the city. There are more kids performing below grade level, but lots of fabulous choices at the high school level. Well, I have a lot more to say on the schools issue. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

For a point of reference, I moved from Guilderland, a town filled with very pleasant people, to Albany many years ago because I didn't want to spend my life driving my kids around and wanted to be closer to cultural life. I am very happy that I did so.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:41 PM

36 posts, read 85,140 times
Any opinions on the Delaware Ave area?

My wife found some great rentals in that area... Without knowing that I had eaten at New World, my wife starts showing me the amenities of the area and New World was one of them lol. I was only in the area for dinner and you can never judge an area at night time....

Old 11-14-2012, 06:56 PM

255 posts, read 487,793 times
I love the DelSo (Delaware ave) neighborhood. It has so much stuff!

It has a great library, two good Italian delis/stores, a candy store, an indie movie theater, two of my favorite restaurants (My Lihn and New World), a cheese store, a good vegetarian/vegan bakery/restaurant, a couple of good elementary schools, etc. Really great amenities that are all within walking distance.

The neighborhood itself is a bit more residential and family-oriented than other Albany neighborhoods. It has a very active neighborhood association. The houses there are large, some two-family, and will usually some small yards and lawns.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:49 AM

334 posts, read 851,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabondsquirrel View Post
Any opinions on the Delaware Ave area?

My wife found some great rentals in that area... Without knowing that I had eaten at New World, my wife starts showing me the amenities of the area and New World was one of them lol. I was only in the area for dinner and you can never judge an area at night time....
Delaware Ave is a lot of fun. It is slightly grittier/more urban than the "uptown" neighborhoods off of New Scotland Ave and Western Ave. My sense is that the streets between Delaware and Hackett Blvd have more homeowners/long-time residents - than the Hoffman Park side of Delaware Ave.

There are a wide variety of folks that live in this area, including families, young hip professionals, refugees, old Albany blue collar workers, and granola/hippy types.

The poster above is right - you absolutely should check out the Delaware Neighborhood Association. It is probably the most active neighborhood association in the city, and I find out a lot about what's happening there through the Association's emails even though I live in a different neighborhood. Much of this news I would never know otherwise. The emails tell you about everything from neighborhood watch to senior dinners to craft fairs to new businesses opening to grants the library is writing and much more. Officer Kevin Singh is one of the neighborhood police officers for Delaware Ave. I'm sure you can get his contact info through the neighborhood association if you want to get the lowdown on crime or areas to avoid.

I believe Amy (whose last name is escaping me), who is the owner of Emack & Bolios, is the head of the Delaware Ave merchants group. That group is trying to do a lot to spruce up the area, including decorative themed trashcans created by artists and better signage. If you are in town again before you make your decision, she might be a good person to talk to.

Oh, and one of my favorite places in the neighborhood is Cardona's, an old world style Italian market and butcher with some modern touches, such as prepared entrees to take home.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area