U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 04:30 PM

66 posts, read 107,858 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to relocate to Warren or Saratoga county with our children. Im wondering which town is best for me...Glens Falls ( is there a difference between north, south , east) Queensbury, or Saratoga Springs.Here is what I would like if you would be kind enough to help:

Budget 200-250000 with some land, maybe an acre
Low crime a must
Good schools ( I have one in elem., one in middle, and one in high)
Conservative or close to it
Big active Catholic community
Italian culture ( yeah I know, its NY, its everywhere lol) feasts, church activities, gourmet shops with imported goods
I own a horse so a good selection of boarding/ riding stables
Low property taxes if possible in NY
Not a big night life person, or the artsy fartsy type.I dont need that stuff. Im a stay at home mom, my husband is a police officer. We need a quiet life revolved around home and family, church and horses. I like big box stores and malls though. My kids dance and do gymnastics.

Yes, we LOVE snow!!! Which suits us best
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 01:19 PM

26,589 posts, read 58,172,538 times
Is your husband retiring or will he be working as a police officer? If he's going to be working, I'd suggest he finds a job and then you decide where to live.

Three things to keep in mind if he'll be working:

Track traffic
Concert traffic
Lake George traffic

Old 01-09-2013, 01:30 PM

He will be retired before we move. We would like to take a vactaion up there to actually get a feel for the areas but I just wanted an opinion on the towns I mentioned first from people familiar with the area and keep in mind although I have 3 in school I have 2 young kids at home so the school system has to be very good

Old 01-09-2013, 01:56 PM

69,459 posts, read 96,277,651 times
In terms of schools, this may help: 2012 Upstate school district rankings - Buffalo - Business First

2012 Albany Area school district rankings - Buffalo - Business First

Perhaps add Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake, as it puts you close or slose enough to Saratoga Springs, Ballston Spa, Glens Falls and as well as the bigger cities in the area. It is a very good school district as well. I believe that Schenectady is the closest city with an Italian festival, but also look into Mechanicville, which also has a high Italian percentage and is in Saratoga County. I believe that Mechanicville has an Italian festival of its own. Surrounding school districts with a higher ranking like Schuylerville, Stillwater and South Glens Falls may work as well, if not Mechanicville itself. Saratogs Springs also has Catholic schools from K-12 as well.

Here is some more information: Mechanicville, NY - Official Website

http://www.saratogacentralcatholic.org/

St Clements School

Mother Teresa Academy | A Private Independent School Teaching Catholic Christian Values located in Clifton Park, NY

St. Mary's School

SMSA Regional Catholic School -- A uniquely Catholic education in Glens Falls

Website for Assumption/St. Paul Parish Community, Mechanicville, New York

Knights of Columbus Council #208 at 52 William Street, Mechanicville, NY 12118 US - Home

Saratoga Knights of Columbus at 50 Pine Road, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866 US - Home

Glens Falls, NY Metro Knights Of Columbus on Citysearch

Italian Fraternal Soc - Mechanicville, NY - Sports Club, Education | Facebook

https://plus.google.com/103838620462...ut?gl=us&hl=en

RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List=

Also, if you have any more questions, just ask.....

Old 01-09-2013, 02:16 PM

Thanks so much for all the links! What about Queensbury? What attracted me to that town is its more rural and alot of the houses seem to have decent property. I look all over and it seems no one really has anything bad to say about Queensbury, Glens Falls, Saratoga, etc. I thought maybe it was to good to be true so was hoping maybe some people on here can enlighten me if Im wrong.but if overall it fits the bill of all the things Im looking for then thats good enough for me

Old 01-09-2013, 02:24 PM

Queensbury schools are supposed to be pretty good. The biggest problem with Queensbury is that it's so far away from everything--a little too far. Glens Falls might be a nice middle ground. I have a friend who lives there and is happy with the schools.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:34 PM

I guess its something Ill have to tell when I get there and take a vacation. Being from Jersey, I now crave the isolation lol.

When is the best time for a vacation? It seems, from what I read, snow can happen 6 or 7 months a year? I would hate to plan and a blizzard strike. Is fall and spring a good time even though some of those months get a little snow?

And whats the biggest supermarket around there?

Silly question but, being its so much cooler, can you have a garden outside like for vegetables? What really are the normal temps there because that info is conflicting online

Old 01-09-2013, 02:47 PM

247 posts, read 479,895 times
It only snows about 4 months out of the year, 5 is extraordinary. And yes, the growing season is fine, otherwise why would we have all these farms?

Biggest supermarkets are Price Chopper (local) and Hannaford, though Shop Rite is moving in. Colonie has a Trader Joe's and Fresh Market, and is getting a Whole Foods soon. Lots of people probably get groceries at Walmart and Target, also.

Best time for vacation is June or July. Avoid August, it's track season, the place is crawling with degenerate gamblers. ;-)

Old 01-09-2013, 03:05 PM

36 posts, read 66,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Queensbury schools are supposed to be pretty good. The biggest problem with Queensbury is that it's so far away from everything--a little too far. Glens Falls might be a nice middle ground. I have a friend who lives there and is happy with the schools.
Queensbury is far from everything but Glens Falls isn't? I haven't lived in the area in quite a while....but I go there to visit the in-laws and I'm pretty sure Glens Falls and Queensbury are almost one and the same. Google Maps confirms my suspicion - only 3 miles from one city center to the other (whatever they mean by city center).

Old 01-09-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiesThatStartWithA View Post
Queensbury is far from everything but Glens Falls isn't? I haven't lived in the area in quite a while....but I go there to visit the in-laws and I'm pretty sure Glens Falls and Queensbury are almost one and the same. Google Maps confirms my suspicion - only 3 miles from one city center to the other (whatever they mean by city center).
I'm thinking out side the city center as the OP wanted a rural setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area