U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 09:44 PM

5 posts, read 8,908 times

Advertisements

We are planning to relocate near Troy this summer. Our daughter will be a day student at Emma Willard. Husband works from home. We also like to live somewhere that has families and some activities, like a library, movie theater, etc. I will be looking for a job in healthcare admin at a hospital. Does anyone know how the job market is for hospitals in the area? Rental budget is around $1,700. Looking for suggestions on towns or neighborhoods. I don't know the capitol area or how the traffic is in different directions!

Actually, I posted something similar about living down in Duchess county by Millbrook, which is our other school option. However, I think for my situation, Albany might be better for finding rentals and jobs. In Duchess, with the drive to school on rural roads and my commute, possibly by train, it might be more challenging. We used to live in nyc for many years, so we know that part of the state! Any advice is appreciated, thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 08:12 PM

Anyone?

Old 03-15-2013, 05:37 AM

7,421 posts, read 14,708,903 times
this is a pretty quiet forum!

i'm looking at the area too, all i can say is i've driven around between albany and troy at all times of the day and the week, including traditional rush hour, and there's not much traffic anywhere or any time. i think the worst traffic around is going south towards albany during morning rush hour.

i've been applying for administrative jobs at hospitals and colleges, and i've had more luck at the colleges, despite coming from a health care (and healthcare related nonprofit) background. but there are always lots of jobs being posted at the hospitals.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:06 AM

506 posts, read 924,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i think the worst traffic around is going south towards albany during morning rush hour.
And going to Saratoga County and points north from Albany during afternoon rush hour.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:55 AM

Thx for all the info, and groar, for the input on hospitals!

How is traffic during rush hours from Troy to Albany?

Old 03-18-2013, 02:57 PM

506 posts, read 924,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggietale View Post
Thx for all the info, and groar, for the input on hospitals!

How is traffic during rush hours from Troy to Albany?
Rush hour traffic from Albany to Troy and back is not too bad unless there is an accident in or around your route. Depending on what part of Troy you are commuting from, there are three bridges across the Hudson River that connect Troy and Albany County.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:20 PM

20 posts, read 36,348 times
Traffic isn't bad as long as you stay south of Clifton Park because the commute over I87 between exits 5 and 9 is a nightmare during the morning and evening rush hours. But based on the info you provided, you probably wouldn't be looking for that area anyway.

North Greenbush or East Greenbush (they run into each other) sounds like it would be a good option. Not far from Emma Willard (10 to 15 minutes) and easy access to Albany via I90, 787, or routes 9 and 20. East Greenbush has a very nice library and a YMCA next to it, lots of parks. Movie theater and an abundance of shopping on Rt 4 in North Greenbush (Target, Walmart, Home Depot, wine, tanning, Panera, a little of everything). East Greenbush is the school district and I'm pretty sure that they provide school buses to private school students as long as its within a certain mile radius.

As far as hospitals go, Troy has Samaritan Hospital and St. Mary's-Seton Health, Albany has Albany Memorial Hospital, Albany Medical Center, and St. Peter's Hospital as well as the Albany VA Hospital, and Capital District Psychiatric Center. Schenectady has Ellis Hospital and St. Clare's as well as Bellevue Women's Hospital (operated by Ellis). A few months ago, Samaritan and Albany Memorial (Northeast Health) joined Seton and St. Peter's and now operate under one conglomerate, St. Peter's Healthcare Services. There is also an abundance of nursing homes and assisted living facilities in the area.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have other questions and good luck!

Old 03-20-2013, 03:01 PM

Great info, thx! I will be visiting the area in june. What about areas like Loudonville? We do like grocery stores like Whole Foods, which I read is coming to Colonie, but any natural grocery/co-op would be fine.

Can anyone explain a little more on any differences between living on one side or the other or the other of the river of Albany and Troy?

Last edited by veggietale; 03-20-2013 at 03:09 PM..

Old 03-21-2013, 06:59 AM

20 posts, read 36,348 times
Loudonville is a nice area, VERY expensive as far as housing prices are concerned. You will find a lot of mansion size homes in gated communities, along with nice 3br/2ba standard sized homes. Very upper crust area. Half of Loudonville is in North Colonie Schools, the other half in South Colonie Schools. It would be a hike to Emma Willard from there with morning traffic, not impossible, but a hassle. You could check with the school district to see if they would provide bus, a lot of kids in Loundonville attend private schools.

Loundonville is close to Colonie Center on Wolf Rd and Crossgates Mall on Western Ave (15 minutes or so), both have movie theaters. Town of Colonie Library is a few minutes away on Albany-Shaker Rd and is a great library. It's also minutes from the airport. Also on Albany-Shaker Rd is a huge park called The Crossings, which is a great place to run, have a picnic, walk the dog.

There is a Fresh Market a few minutes north of Loudonville on Route 9 in Latham (right on the Latham/Loudonville border, exit 5 off I87). There is also a Trader Joe's on Wolf Rd, which is about 10 minutes away as well as Honest Weight Food Co-op on Central Ave, about 15 minutes away www.hwfc.com I shop at all of them, and they are all great. I hear about a rumored Whole Foods coming soon too, although I don't have any details. Fresh Market is similar to Whole Foods, just more expensive.

Loudonville would put you very close to Albany Memorial Hospital, and not far from Albany Med, Albany VA, and St. Peter's. Troy/East/North Greenbush (Rensselar County) would put you close to Samaritan and St. Mary's.

There isn't a ton of difference between one side of the river or the other, you can pretty much get almost anywhere from anywhere in the area within 20-25 minutes. The biggest difference may be taxes because of one side being Albany County and the other Rensselear County. Taxes in the East Greenbush area are high, however with the property values in Loudonville being higher, it may be a wash. Both sides have their problem areas....there are areas of Troy you don't want to walk in, but if you stay away from downtown and South Troy at night, you're fine. Loudonville is minutes from Arbor Hill, an area you don't want to walk in any time of the day or night. Overall, there is more to do in the Loudonville area because of its close proximity to the malls, shopping centers, etc.. If you are looking for more land for your buck, then you'd want Rensselaer County. But even living in Rensselaer County, you are only 15 minutes away from all the amenities I mentioned above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area