U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 03:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,848 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Some friends and I are graduating in June, and wanted to do one last thing together before we go our separate ways for college. There will be 10-15 of us in total, and the spending cap for each is probably around $500. That said, we want to go someplace, some destination, and stay there for a week toward the end of July.

The plan is to either rent a house or stay at a resort at either of these lakes for the week. The resort or house would be the base of operations from which to branch off and do... just about anything. Kayaking, canoeing, hiking, fishing, swimming, sports like baseball and basketball, all these are things that we would like to do. As such, someplace that includes those amenities or courts and whatnot in the rental price is preferable.

Of course, there is the issue of just what place would be practical for such a large group of us. Ideally, a larger rental house, but we could rent out a condo or two, or hotel rooms, or anything really that works.

I am sure there is a lot that I am leaving out. After all, there is a lot of this that remains to be fleshed out, such as the practicality of this, and where to go, Lake George or Lake Champlain.

Any ideas, suggestions, questions, or concerns that any of you have, please comment with them. I am new at this, and all of you have tons of experience, so your expertise and input into all this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 05:21 PM

8 posts, read 21,684 times
Just so you know, that $500 each will go fast just with rent in Lake George. It is a very expensive tourist trap in the summer. The village is also horribly crowded and some days there is barely any walking room, and there is a surprising lack of actual swimming beach there. There is hiking all around the lake and various things you can do on the water.

I've hung around Lake Champlain a bit although not in summer, but I have always enjoyed Lake Champlain a lot more. It might be worth looking into it first. Burlington, Vermont is right near part of it and it is a great city with quite a bit to do.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:43 AM

263 posts, read 583,789 times
You should look for jobs...

Old 03-19-2013, 07:39 PM

20 posts, read 36,606 times
Lake Champlain is a lot more condusive to nature and outdoor activities than Lake George is, although I don't know what vacation rentals are priced at there. Lake George is fun, but after about 2 days, you'll probably be bored after you hit all the major tourist attractions. It is very touristy and crowded and not a lot of beach. It is also full of Canadians who don't wear deoderant and are kind of rude. No offense to any Canadians on here, I'm just pointing out that Lake George definitely gets stinky in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area