U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 07:33 AM

2 posts, read 3,672 times

Advertisements

Hello.
My husband and I are considering a move from Saratoga Springs to a town along I-88 between Oneonta and Albany for job reasons. One of us may have an opportunity in Oneonta while the other works in Loudonville. We really love Saratoga (mainly for the great places to eat and because of how pedestrian-friendly it is). Neither of us wants a commute over 50 minutes, if we can help it, and we'd like to be able to get to fun shopping, eating, and arts/entertainment in an easy drive on the weekends. Right now, it looks like Cobleskill might be our best option, but I don't really know anything about that town or those surrounding it. I'd love to hear your thoughts on what would be fun places to live in the area and what the commutes from those towns to Oneonta and Loudonville would be. I've already used Google maps, but I've found that it overestimates times, so real-person input would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 07:39 AM

253 posts, read 434,270 times
Cobleskill is nice and would be your best bet. Schoharie is also a good choice.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,672 times
Thank you hock41. I was holding off on replying since I hadn't yet received the job offer when I originally posted and I didn't want to jinx myself by getting to ahead of things. I have since then though! Can you, or anyone else reading, tell me what living in Cobleskill or Schoharie is like? Are these pedestrian-friendly towns? Are there fun things to do there? Thank you!

Old 03-26-2013, 05:39 AM

334 posts, read 777,405 times
Schoharie is tiny and fairly rural. You have to drive to get pretty much anywhere, but it is not suburban sprawl. Many of the things to do revolve around agri-tourism, such as the Wellington's Herb & Spices, which has a tea house. Other farms have the more traditional corn mazes, pumpkin patches, apple picking, etc. The Old Stone Fort Museum Complex has a number of fun events throughout the year.

One thing to be aware of about Schoharie is that the low-lying areas were decimated by Hurricane Irene two years ago. The library just got back to running full steam this December, and the school has had a lot of damage to deal with too. I think the damage has made the town more close-knit and gotten the different groups (old-time blue collar residents, newer professionals that want a rural lifestyle) to interact more and get to know each other better, but the physical aspect of the town is still rebuilding.

I don't know as much about Cobleskill. It seems a fair bit bigger than Schoharie and does have a little downtown. It is also a rural community, but since it has a SUNY campus there, there is more going on. SUNY-Cobleskill has a well-respected agriculture program. Cobleskill is easy to access from the highway, but it's restaurant options tend to be limited to pizza shops and fast food.

Both Schoharie and Cobleskill are geographically attractive with rolling hills and vistas. Don't know what the road maintenance is like in the winter - something you might want to ask about before moving to any place that is off the main drag, especially in Schoharie.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:44 AM

26,589 posts, read 58,158,123 times
Wow, Cobleskill to Loudonville would be a terrible daily commute. Route 88 is one of the worst for winter weather in the state. The only good part is that it's not a toll road.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:45 PM

37 posts, read 79,478 times
Cobleskill to Oneonta is not a bad commute on I-88. Be aware, though, that there are no services on I-88. Cobleskill to Loudonville, not quite so easy or direct.

Dining choices, as someone mentioned, are largely fast food, but Justine's (on West Main) has great meals (huge portions) fairly reasonable. The old Bull's Head Inn was closed for a while and recently purchased and is being renovated. For pub type food, Locomotions (former train station) and Fernando's. My husband and I really enjoy Little Italy in the Price Chopper Plaza. Up the road a bit (in Sharon Springs) pretty fine dining at the American Hotel (not to be confused with the American (Bar & Grill) in Cobleskill! Also fine dining at George Mann Tory Tavern just north of Schoharie.

Some of the nicer neighborhoods in the village include the historic district (downtown) the area behind the hospital and the area behind the Best Western but, personally, I think the taxes are pretty high.

Cobleskill did not sustain as much damage from the hurricanes as Schoharie and Middleburgh. We've lived here for 23 years (moved from Niskayuna) and we live about 3 miles outside the village, on what used to be a dairy farm.Of course, we could always sell you our place (all 13 acres!) and WE could move!

Let me know if I can help you with any other info. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area