Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2013, 03:47 PM

6 posts, read 20,189 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I am looking to rent a cute little recently renovated farmhouse in Delmar, NY come June (I'm supposed to be getting a decent deal on rent).

I have a 6 year old little girl, so I found out that the address of the house is in the Bethlehem school district, specifically Eagle Elementary. I'm wondering if anyone can offer some good insight into the pros and cons of this particular school?

Also, I'm moving from raleigh, NC (however I'm originally from Brooklyn, NY) - so id like to know what are some of the things to do with kids in the area? where's the closest pharmacy? Hospital?

Anyone have opinions on crime rate?

The house were renting is old and it's electric and oil. Does anyone know what utility company I would have to contact for zip code 12054?

General Delmar/New Scotland information would be great!
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 04:54 PM

27 posts, read 63,812 times
Hi there, I don't live in the area yet (I'm about two hours south right now) but my family is in the process of relocating up there and we looked a lot at the Bethlehem/delmar area before deciding to buy a home in colonie instead.

I really loved bethlehem, it is a quiet area but super close to albany. The schools seem to be top rated. One of the homes we considered trying to buy was in eagle elementary so I researched it a bit. All of the elementary schools in the district seem good and comprable, eagle is the newest building and I think maybe the largest enrollment-wise. I don't think you can go wrong with this school district.

One thing I really loved about Bethlehem is that they have a lot of town rec programs for kids, a nice park and town pool, YMCA, good library, etc. plus you are close to all of the other activities for kids in the capital region. There is a post a few threads down about moving from Maui- that has tons of kids activity info inside.

Since I'm not local to the area, I'm not sure about hospitals, although I'd guess St. Peter's and albany med are the two closest. Pharmacies, again I'm not sure, but I know there is a price chopper (grocery store) in slingerlands which is near delmar/new Scotland border that has a pharmacy. I'm sure within the village of delmar there are other options as well.

Crime wouldn't worry me much from what I've seen of the area.

Last edited by Knh1229; 03-26-2013 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: Added info

Old 03-26-2013, 08:54 PM

334 posts, read 851,602 times
According to today's newspaper, Bethlehem has the third highest median income in the Capital District, at $87,000. Since crime and school rankings are mostly a function of income, you don't have much to worry about in in Bethlehem in terms of crime and school reputation.

Eagle Elementary is only a few years old, so it has a decent physical facility. I know several families that now go to Eagle, and they actually like it better than the other Bethlehem elementary schools they were formerly zoned for. Because it is new, and the families previously came from several different elementary schools, there is no ingrained PTA culture of doing things a certain way, with certain families always dictating what happens. as I understand is sometimes a problem at some of the other schools. I've heard that the classes are larger than in some of the other schools, but the Capital District tends to have smaller class sizes than in many other parts of the country, so they are still manageable.

Because Bethlehem is both a relatively wealthy and highly educated community (lots of PhD, MDs and JDs live there), it can be more competitive than some other districts. I don't think you need to worry about your 6 year old feeling that though - it doesn't compare to, say, private school in New York City. At that age, the competition tends to be among the moms. However, if you are the sort of person who can let that sort of thing slide off your back, you should be fine.

Bethlehem High School has a reputation for drug use. Students at my kid's "bad" high school, Albany High, assume that if a classmate is going to a weekend party in Bethlehem, it is to get access to drugs. I have never heard of any similar problems in the Bethlehem elementary schools, though.

One of the best places in Delmar for families is the 5 Rivers Environmental Education Center. It offers tons of programs all year long, most of which are free or low-cost. You can also visit just to hike and use their small nature center. The Bethlehem Public Library is very good, with lots of programs for kids and families. A library card from Bethlehem allows you to use any public library in Albany and Rensselaer Counties. I don't know anything about Raleigh's public library system, but friends and family who have moved to NC and other southern states from the Capital District often complain about how much they miss the good libraries in the Capital District.

The Mohawk-Hudson Land Conservancy has several pieces of property in Bethlehem. These are all small and have easy hiking trails suitable for little ones. There is a lot for families to do in the area. As another poster mentioned, the recent post about moving from Hawaii has many more suggestions.

There is a CVS on Delaware Ave in Delmar that has a 24 hour pharmacy.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:25 AM

20 posts, read 40,598 times
National Grid is the utility company 1-800-932-0301.

I agree with everything everyone else above said about the area...Bethlehem is a white collar bedroom community, most people are financially comfortable and well educated. It's a nice area. St. Peter's is the closest hospital and Albany Med is just a few miles down the road. Good luck with your move!

Old 03-27-2013, 08:36 AM

6 posts, read 20,189 times
Thank you all for your insight, it is greatly appreciated! All valuable information.
I am definitely not a fan of the "competitive moms" stuff but I am thankfully the sort, as you said, to let it slide off my back.
Should I be concerned at all that I am a lesbian and will be living with my girlfriend? Should I be prepared for any kind of possible backlash in terms of that being that it's a small town?

Nonetheless, it can't be any worse than where I am now - living in the southeast.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:44 PM

334 posts, read 851,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overcome1981 View Post
Should I be concerned at all that I am a lesbian and will be living with my girlfriend? Should I be prepared for any kind of possible backlash in terms of that being that it's a small town?
No. Historically, the town has been heavily Republican, but in the past 10 years or so the Democratic Party has been having more sway. The Republicans in Bethlehem are, for the most part, fiscal conservatives. On social issues that don't cost any tax money, the community is pretty liberal. I know one lesbian couple whose child is almost ready to graduate high school there, and he hasn't encountered any trouble.

The Capital District as a whole tends to be a live and let live place. The Pride Center of the Capital District, which is in Albany, is over 40 years old. They host lots of events, groups, arts events, are sponsors of larger events in the Capital District and are pretty visible. They have lots of events that are labeled as family friendly.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 10,562 times
Delmar NY is a very good and safe town to raise a family. My grandparents live there and I have made many visits to the town. Its on the pricey side but worth it if you have that kind of income!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area