Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2013, 04:25 PM

84 posts, read 198,707 times

Advertisements

i am from NY state, but have never been to the saratoga area...for those who have lived there, can you describe the attitude of the people in general...my impression, as an outsider, is one of an artistic community, where those predominately in the arts live...somewhat of a cloistered group not in the religious sense, artsy...somewhat eccentric...please share with me you impressions...thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 08:03 PM

112 posts, read 245,371 times
Where to begin. Saratoga has a very small "art district" and Skidmore college has a great art museum in the Tang, but I wouldn't classify Saratoga as an artists community at all. What you really get in Saratoga is a pretty homogenous group of families and retirees who can afford the city's relative high cost of living. When the track is in full swing you get tourists from all over, but downtown bars begin to resemble the jersey shore crowd. Some might say Saratogians are snobbish, but I would suggest they're just proud of their city. It is one of the coolest and hippest spots in the greater Albany area. Eccentric? Artistic? Not so much.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:26 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,658,483 times
I wouldn't use the adjectives "eccentric" or "artsy" to describe Saratoga Springs. There are museums as such, of dance, auto, children's, military. The downtown has some unique shops and the outer towns have their own small town feel to them. We live outside SS and find the flavor more family oriented and friendly helpful people.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:13 PM

150 posts, read 300,519 times
I live here and there is an active arts community here in Saratoga Springs. For example, in a couple of weeks we will have an Saratoga Arts Fest
Saratoga Arts Fest | Saratoga Springs, NY, 12866 and another example is Saratoga Arts which is one of the hubs for the arts community here.. Welcome to Saratoga Arts | Saratoga Arts

However, I also find there are many families here, working people, students, education and health care professionals.. a diverse group.. please come and visit us sometime!

Old 05-29-2013, 07:16 AM

82 posts, read 167,278 times
LOL...might want to Try Burlington VT.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:33 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Daddy View Post
LOL...might want to Try Burlington VT.
or Ithaca, which is more affordable than Burlington or SS.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:58 AM

82 posts, read 167,278 times
Agreed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area