U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2013, 06:54 PM

26 posts, read 42,611 times

Advertisements

Hi
We will be moving upstate with our 1 year old. I'm a physician and we are looking for a safe, diverse if possible, family friendly area. Schools are important but not the only factor since my son is so young and we are not sure where we will be living when he is school age- we may move back to the DC metro area or stay upstate indefinitely. We will, therefore, rent for 2-3 years to feel out the area. Budget isn't really an issue considering our current rent is outrageously high but the norm for this area. I've heard about Saratoga springs, Ballston spa, Niskayuna and Shenendehowa. Is there any other place we should consider? Is there one location that stands out from the rest? I'd prefer to rent a 3-5 bedroom single family house with a garage and a backyard for pets. I'd prefer no more than a 45min- 1 hour commute to Amsterdam. Husband will work remotely until he finds a job. We will be coming up for a visit soon.
Thanks!

Last edited by upward_bound; 05-31-2013 at 07:10 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 07:38 PM

69,671 posts, read 96,502,564 times
If you want good schools with some diversity, I'd say that North Colonie may be another to consider. Loudonville and Latham are both within that school district. Niskayuna schools have a relatively high Asian student population(12%), with a few Black students and a couple of Hispanic students in terms of percentage. School districts like South Colonie, Guilderland and Saratoga Springs will have schools with some diversity and at varying degrees depending on the school. All are good districts too. Here are some websites that could help in terms of school demographics and academic scores: https://reportcards.nysed.gov/counties.php (Look into Schenectady, Albany and Saratoga counties)

Search for Public Schools - Search Results

Test Scores for North Colonie Central School District | GreatSchools
Search for School Profiles (can search by county or address)

You can possibly find home rental on the RealtyUSA website.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:01 PM

26 posts, read 42,611 times
Thanks for the links ckhthankgod
In regards to diversity of the neighborhoods I mentioned any thoughts? We may not stay in the area long enough for my son to go to school if my husband is unable to find a job. We won't know for sure until we live in the area for a few years and feel things out. My son will only be in pre-school at that point so schools aren't a factor while we rent for the first few years.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:50 AM

69,671 posts, read 96,502,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upward_bound View Post
Thanks for the links ckhthankgod
In regards to diversity of the neighborhoods I mentioned any thoughts? We may not stay in the area long enough for my son to go to school if my husband is unable to find a job. We won't know for sure until we live in the area for a few years and feel things out. My son will only be in pre-school at that point so schools aren't a factor while we rent for the first few years.
Out of the districts you mentioned, I think you can find areas more diverse than others within those districts/communities. I'd say that Niskayuna closer to Schenectady would probably offer the most diversity due to the district having a relatively high Asian student population/community and I believe that most of the Black and Hispanic families live that area of the town. Don't quote me on that and hopefully another poster can step in and add more specific information on that. Perhaps the part of the town closer to Albany may have some diversity as well.

Both of the Colonie school districts seem to have more balance in terms of minority students and have a little bit higher percentages of such students than similar suburban school districts.

Also, if you look up specific community information on this website, there usually a map that allows you to click on areas of that town/city and it will show economic and racial/ethnic information for parts of that town/city. It gives a rough idea, but may help.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-01-2013 at 06:59 AM..

Old 06-02-2013, 07:45 PM

49 posts, read 150,985 times
I grew up in Niskayuna, and I can tell you it is a great place to live and raise a family. The commute to Amsterdam should be a breeze too, as most of the traffic on the highway will be flowing in the opposite direction towards Albany. The Niskayuna school district and neighboring South Colonie, which some areas of Nisky are in, are both very good. South Colonie schools will definitely much more diverse than Nisky.

Saratoga and Shen are both very nice places too, but that's going to be long commute to Amsterdam. I also don't think their schools have the diversity of South Colonie.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:40 PM

5,721 posts, read 5,954,294 times
Agreed w/ ckhthankgod either of the Colonie school districts would probably serve you best in terms of diversity and quality education. And you will be shocked at how much further your dollar goes in Colonie than DC -- I would advise buying over renting.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:37 PM

6,616 posts, read 12,775,118 times
Saratoga and Niskayuna are good. Don't live/raise a child in Amsterdam though. God no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area