U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2013, 10:03 AM

121 posts, read 395,161 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My daughter is moving to Albany next month (from NC) to begin graduate school. She didn't know she was accepted until 3 weeks ago due to an oversight in the graduate school She is scrambling now to get packed.

We are coming to Albany for a visit next week to look at apartments. We want to be as prepared as possible to get things rolling and hopefully secure a place while there (eeek!). Because she's under contract with her job until mid-August, she can't move until then, and she won't have many options for days off take care of business, such as getting utilities sorted and arranging the move. So, I'm trying to help her with as much of the logistics as possible.

I would appreciate some guidance with a few things in advance of our trip. FYI: She hopes to live within 1.5 miles of The College of Saint Rose, preferably around Washington Park area.

*I've deduced that National Grid would be the electricity provider. Is this correct? And if so, is it possible to set up this service by phone/online or will she have to do so in person? (I realize the apartment complex management can tell us this, but if we could research this in advance, knowing what documents to take with us will be helpful.)

*Some apartments mention "cooking gas," so does this mean she will have an additional propane gas fee? If so, is there one main provider an apartment building uses? Does she need her own account with propane gas service provider?

*We've figured out that TWC would be the Cable/Internet provider and that she can sign up for services online, so that's good.

*Post office box: Can she apply for a PO box online? Or do most apartment buildings have a mailroom/mailboxes?

*Are there other utilities/services she should consider?

*I've heard taxes are high in NY so I'm thinking she should not get her driver's license changed to NY but should instead stick with NC, esp. for tax filing purposes (since she's moving to NY to be in school). She does not own a car. Is this how students usual do things when moving to another state for school?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Last edited by newgirlRaleigh; 07-07-2013 at 10:18 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,433 times
Hello! I moved to Troy to attend RPI in 2004 and decided to stay in the area upon graduation - I'll try to answer as much as I can of your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgirlRaleigh View Post
*I've deduced that National Grid would be the electricity provider. Is this correct? And if so, is it possible to set up this service by phone/online or will she have to do so in person? (I realize the apartment complex management can tell us this, but if we could research this in advance, knowing what documents to take with us will be helpful.)
National Grid is the electric provider throughout the Capital District. You can access their page for checking service availability and starting/stopping service at https://www1.nationalgridus.com/ManageMyServices. They sometimes require a deposit to start service, sometimes not. I think it's based on prior history with the company or a credit check when they have no history to go on.

Quote:
*Some apartments mention "cooking gas," so does this mean she will have an additional propane gas fee? If so, is there one main provider an apartment building uses? Does she need her own account with propane gas service provider?
Much of the Capital District is piped for Natural Gas, also provided by National Grid in most areas. Within the city of Albany proper National Grid would most likely be the provider. If that's the case, you can sign up for gas service at the same time as electric and both are charged and paid on the same monthly bill.

Quote:
*Post office box: Can she apply for a PO box online? Or do most apartment buildings have a mailroom/mailboxes?
This varies widely from apartment to apartment. Many apartments are converted houses which may have 1, 2, or several units in them. These typically get regular mail service like any residence would. Often times there will be a box for each apartment that the residents label with their name. Some apartment complexes have gang mailboxes and others have a mail room. I would think it would be fairly unlikely that a PO box would be necessary unless there was some unusual circumstance involved.

Quote:
*Are there other utilities/services she should consider?
Aside from electric, gas, and cable/internet, there's nothing critical that jumps out at me. Most apartments lump water, sewer, garbage, recycling, etc into the rent since these costs are shared by all tenants but it may be worth confirming just in case!

Quote:
*I've heard taxes are high in NY so I'm thinking she should not get her driver's license changed to NY but should instead stick with NC, esp. for tax filing purposes (since she's moving to NY to be in school). She does not own a car. Is this how students usual do things when moving to another state for school?
When I moved to NY I kept my driver's license in NJ for several years since that was where I was originally licensed. However that did not have much of a bearing on what I did for my taxes - once I picked up a work study job on campus and had NY income, I then had to file NY taxes. If your daughter will be working, or doing work study, or receiving a stipend, anything like that would be NY income and would result in needing to file NY taxes. If she won't have any NY income it may make sense to keep everything in NC only but it would be worth checking with the various tax departments or an accountant to be sure.

If you are a part-year resident, NY pro-rates your tax based on the number of days spent living in NY. It also takes into account taxes paid to other states. I had to file both NY and NJ taxes for several years while I was in school but it wasn't much more than a mild inconvenience. Take a look at this page about part-year residents and taxes in NYS: Filing Information for New York State part-year residents

Hope this helps!

Old 07-08-2013, 03:07 PM

That definitely helps! Thank you so much for your detailed answers

Old 07-08-2013, 05:56 PM

7,532 posts, read 14,840,613 times
This is from another thread with similar information that you may be seeking.

//www.city-data.com/forum/alban...as-albany.html

Old 07-25-2013, 09:13 PM

127 posts, read 201,745 times
I would recommend she lives on the side of Washington park closer to Western Ave than the side closer to Madison. This side is closer to St Rose college. And there are a lot of student apartment buildings over here which could accommodate her as far as decency and proximity to everything. She might even be able to find an apartment within walking distance to the school. Just be careful, some buildings are better than other's. Make sure you speak thoroughly to the landlord and ensure that they are conscientious people who care about their tenants and their comfort.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:42 PM

18 posts, read 18,483 times
if it was my daughter she would stay in nc triple prices 4 everything I would not subject her to Albany of all places but live and learn I cant wait 2 get nc myself Raleigh or cary

Old 08-09-2013, 08:09 AM

247 posts, read 483,281 times
Ugh, enough of the valley girl text-speak.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovenyc1 View Post
if it was my daughter she would stay in nc triple prices 4 everything I would not subject her to Albany of all places but live and learn I cant wait 2 get nc myself Raleigh or cary
Raleigh is not perfect. It does have many positive aspects, but like all cities, it has its drawbacks as well. Each person's perspective /reality is different. Maybe Raleigh has just what you are looking for, but it has its problems as well. It's a capital city just like Albany, so it is not cheap to live here, although I'd say property is cheaper if you are buying, but rent--that's pretty much the same (although likely there are many more newer buildings in Raleigh, which is a plus).

My daughter is moving to Albany to attend graduate school. It's the school she wants, the program she wants, and it's for three years. She's 24 and can decide where she wants to live and for how long. I have no idea what she'll think of Albany, but I raised my daughter to be an explorer. She'll figure out what she wants to do and whether she wants to stay in Albany beyond grad school. More than likely, she'll end up moving overseas for a while. But that's her gig...and the expense, that's her gig, too.

Sounds like you are not happy in Albany. I hope you find what you are looking for in Raleigh /Cary area if that is where you choose to go. Good luck with that.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling_Alien View Post
I would recommend she lives on the side of Washington park closer to Western Ave than the side closer to Madison. This side is closer to St Rose college. And there are a lot of student apartment buildings over here which could accommodate her as far as decency and proximity to everything. She might even be able to find an apartment within walking distance to the school. Just be careful, some buildings are better than other's. Make sure you speak thoroughly to the landlord and ensure that they are conscientious people who care about their tenants and their comfort.
Thanks, yes, she will be living on the side closer to Washington Ave. We scrutinized this forum for weeks before deciding on an area and wrote down all the streets/areas people said were desirable and to be avoided then she chose an area that was agreed upon by many as being safer/with better access to places she needs to go. I really appreciate the helpful advice here.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:18 AM

In the above post, I meant to write "Western Ave" not Washington.

Anyway, she's all moved in. Historic district is beautiful. A couple of people asked us outright (one while we were unloading furniture in front of her building), "Why in the %$!!# would you move to Albany??" Otherwise, she had a nice welcome from most folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area