Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 05:07 PM

334 posts, read 847,383 times

Advertisements

[quote=Travelling_Alien;30662118]Has anyone else here taken the CDTA?

I notice there are seldom if ever pretty young women on most bus lines, outside of the 12 (crossgates mall, university).

I take the number 1 and 905 often, never see attractive females on these lines. Well, almost never. And any time even a remotely attractive woman gets on the bus people stare at them like they are dog meat. lol
/quote]
Oh great. My teen daughter takes the CDTA almost daily. Thanks for this creepy image.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 02:45 AM

127 posts, read 221,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mps0909 View Post
CDTA is great, and cheap also.. Also, I feel your comments on Black and White income's to be off. I think the white people in albany are poorer for white people, than the black people are in relattion to blacks in other areas of the country
Relative to blacks elsewhere. Most major cities have this same problem with classism being intrinsically related to racism. So relatively, yes. But you will find that the population of poor whites is also increasing all over the nation.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:46 AM

[quote=sarchivist98;30679493]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling_Alien View Post
Has anyone else here taken the CDTA?

I notice there are seldom if ever pretty young women on most bus lines, outside of the 12 (crossgates mall, university).

I take the number 1 and 905 often, never see attractive females on these lines. Well, almost never. And any time even a remotely attractive woman gets on the bus people stare at them like they are dog meat. lol
/quote]
Oh great. My teen daughter takes the CDTA almost daily. Thanks for this creepy image.
Sorry, they might stare at her but they won't do anything. Most people who ride the CDTA are respectable.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:06 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,138,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mps0909 View Post
CDTA is great, and cheap also.. Also, I feel your comments on Black and White income's to be off. I think the white people in albany are poorer for white people, than the black people are in relattion to blacks in other areas of the country
When I lived in Albany I also found the CDTA to be a very good transit system, especially compared to the one in Buffalo.

I think that there's a higher percentage of middle income blacks in the Albany area than in many other areas of the country, particularly in Upstate NY, because of the opportunities available in the state government. They are not particularly noticeable because they have dispersed into other parts of Albany and into the suburbs, leaving mostly poor blacks congregated in areas around downtown Albany. That's because Albany has also never been as residentially segregated as other cities in the NE or around the Great Lakes, either.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:34 AM

13 posts, read 35,471 times
Quote:
My theory on that is that the people renting in this segment of the market are a combination of students from upper middle class families who have their parents credit cards and graduate students who are making a decent wage during internship. Like I said, the consistently good area of Albany is becoming very small. Whereas the rest is a sort of random grab bag.
There is some truth to this. In comparison to NYC or other large metro areas, there is very little to no real middle class or upper middle class rental housing in the market. I think might be because home ownership is a bigger deal to Upstaters, and a good percentage will buy a home as soon as they can possibly swing it (unfortunately, some do this before they can really swing it - see also the Housing Bubble of 2008). When my wife and I first moved here we rented for one year, and bought a small house on the west side of Albany as quickly as we could. It was badly run down and we had to put in a ton of work but it got us out from under paying rent to pay someone else's mortgage!

Old 08-21-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopold21558 View Post
In comparison to NYC or other large metro areas, there is very little to no real middle class or upper middle class rental housing in the market.
I think most of that is probably relegated to Colonie, Latham and other outlying areas.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:03 PM

84 posts, read 375,653 times
Quote:
Correction, good looking homeless women.

Men are not taken care of no matter how attractive we are.
You need to move to Washington DC area! It's full of single professional women. The nonprofit I work for is vying for male employees. If you are a good looking man, you will be well treated and move up the career ladder very fast. There are lots of nonprofits and women owned business in that area.

When you go out to a social meeting, there will always be lots of women competing for very few single men.
Most of the single guys in DC are gays.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:08 AM

255 posts, read 484,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdinarySoul View Post
You need to move to Washington DC area! It's full of single professional women. The nonprofit I work for is vying for male employees. If you are a good looking man, you will be well treated and move up the career ladder very fast. There are lots of nonprofits and women owned business in that area.

When you go out to a social meeting, there will always be lots of women competing for very few single men.
Most of the single guys in DC are gays.
Please send me the name and website of this non-profit! I'm a guy and I'm looking for a job in DC.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:20 AM

382 posts, read 1,525,507 times
Alien - I don't know if and when you lived in DC but you CANNOT find a 3 bedroom apartment here for $1000 a month. These days efficiencies in good neighborhoods are going for $2,000 and up. Housing in DC is among the highest in the nation.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:15 AM

84 posts, read 375,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerBrink View Post
Alien - I don't know if and when you lived in DC but you CANNOT find a 3 bedroom apartment here for $1000 a month. These days efficiencies in good neighborhoods are going for $2,000 and up. Housing in DC is among the highest in the nation.
Yes. That's true. A 2-bedroom apartment in my suburb town rents for $1600/month, and I need to spend 3 hours a day commuting to DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area