U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-30-2013, 09:17 AM
 
4 posts, read 6,716 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

New job opportunity is in Coxsackie. Looking for nice area with good schools, not too far of a commute to work. Heard about Delmar area. Looking for feedback on that area and any other recommendations. Looking to rent Studio/One bedroom for myself at first. (Will commute home on Weekends). Will move family up within 6 months if all goes well. Have 2 kids (Jr. high and High School age.)

Thanks,

Kevin
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-30-2013, 10:08 AM
 
253 posts, read 435,371 times
Reputation: 594
I would look at Hudson NY. It's a very nice town on the river. It's close to coxsackie and is closer to NYC than Delmar is. You also wouldn't be too far from Albany either.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 10:16 AM
 
69,913 posts, read 96,729,417 times
Reputation: 15376
Coxsackie-Athens seems to have solid schools, but I'm not sure of what else there is there. This could help: https://reportcards.nysed.gov/counties.php?year=2012

New York Schools - New York State School Ratings - Public and Private
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Jamestown, NY
7,841 posts, read 8,243,914 times
Reputation: 13779
Hopefully, you learned how to pronounce Coxsackie correctly: COOK-sock-ee.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 11:57 AM
Q44
 
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
895 posts, read 892,263 times
Reputation: 1772
We made the move from LI a few years back too. Coxsackie is pretty quiet, not much of anything goes on. Pretty much true of all of Greene County. Schools are OK. We actually chose the other side of the river in Columbia County so I can tell you a little about Hudson. Not even close to anyone's top choice. A couple of nice artsy areas in town but the rest of it is one discount store after another on Rt 9. If you're coming from LI, Hudson school district would not be what you're looking for. Not to mention Hudson to Coxsackie involves crossing the Rip Van Winkle Bridge, and that just adds mileage and a new sense of adventure when it snows. If you're working on the west side of the river you're better off looking on that side. Delmar has one of the top schools in the Capital District. Ride to Coxsackie is easy because it's kind of a reverse commute up here, you'd be heading south when everyone else is heading to Albany. You will pay for the school district. Real Estate prices are some of the highest in the area and taxes are way up there. You definitley won't be saving anything on taxes compared to LI. Bethlehem HS has a bit of a reputation though. Great academics, can be cliquey. Actually if you can afford it, it's the area most like LI and closest to your work. There's also plenty to do. Great parks, shopping, dining, Bethlehem HS sports are very big. If there's anything you can't do there, you can be in Albany in 5 minutes. It was one of the 3-4 places we looked at it. It's close to the Thruway so hopping on to head south to LI is easy. You can also jump across the Hudson River in a few spots to cut off some of the Thruway and avoid the Tappan Zee Bridge. There are also some apartments to be had in Delmar, there's one called the 'Mansions at Delmar', don't know a whole lot about them but I used their east of the Hudson counterparts while waiting for the family and they were good enough, plus at least a few years ago, they offered 6 month leases. Also, 'Delmar' is just one town that makes up the bigger town/school of 'Bethlehem' the other towns, Glenmont and Slingerlands are really nice too. Though they're slightly different from each other. FYI, the towns just south of Bethlehem, and just north of Coxsackie . . . maybe not great choices either
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Jamestown, NY
7,841 posts, read 8,243,914 times
Reputation: 13779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
We made the move from LI a few years back too. Coxsackie is pretty quiet, not much of anything goes on. Pretty much true of all of Greene County. Schools are OK. We actually chose the other side of the river in Columbia County so I can tell you a little about Hudson. Not even close to anyone's top choice. A couple of nice artsy areas in town but the rest of it is one discount store after another on Rt 9. If you're coming from LI, Hudson school district would not be what you're looking for. Not to mention Hudson to Coxsackie involves crossing the Rip Van Winkle Bridge, and that just adds mileage and a new sense of adventure when it snows. If you're working on the west side of the river you're better off looking on that side. Delmar has one of the top schools in the Capital District. Ride to Coxsackie is easy because it's kind of a reverse commute up here, you'd be heading south when everyone else is heading to Albany. You will pay for the school district. Real Estate prices are some of the highest in the area and taxes are way up there. You definitley won't be saving anything on taxes compared to LI. Bethlehem HS has a bit of a reputation though. Great academics, can be cliquey. Actually if you can afford it, it's the area most like LI and closest to your work. There's also plenty to do. Great parks, shopping, dining, Bethlehem HS sports are very big. If there's anything you can't do there, you can be in Albany in 5 minutes. It was one of the 3-4 places we looked at it. It's close to the Thruway so hopping on to head south to LI is easy. You can also jump across the Hudson River in a few spots to cut off some of the Thruway and avoid the Tappan Zee Bridge. There are also some apartments to be had in Delmar, there's one called the 'Mansions at Delmar', don't know a whole lot about them but I used their east of the Hudson counterparts while waiting for the family and they were good enough, plus at least a few years ago, they offered 6 month leases. Also, 'Delmar' is just one town that makes up the bigger town/school of 'Bethlehem' the other towns, Glenmont and Slingerlands are really nice too. Though they're slightly different from each other. FYI, the towns just south of Bethlehem, and just north of Coxsackie . . . maybe not great choices either
I lived in the Oak Brook Manor Apartments in Ravena back in the 1980s. It's a pretty rural/exurban area and the schools, the Ravena-Coeymans-Selkirk school district, are probably like Coxsackie-Athens. Ravena has some nice residential areas, but like Coxsackie, not a lot going on in town, either. Selkirk and South Bethlehem are even more rural, but closer to shopping/activities in Delmar, Guilderland, and Albany.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2013, 12:37 PM
 
28 posts, read 58,132 times
Reputation: 58
If you don't mind rural look into Greenville. I'm not super familiar with that area but I believe it's close to coxsackie with good schools. Glenmont is next to delmar also in Bethlehem s.d. You could add that to your list as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2013, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Palm Springs, CA
247 posts, read 480,897 times
Reputation: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Hopefully, you learned how to pronounce Coxsackie correctly: COOK-sock-ee.
Close; it's actually cook-SOCK-ee. Emphasis on middle syllable.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2013, 06:40 AM
 
4 posts, read 6,716 times
Reputation: 16
Default Thanks for all of the feedback.

I will be coming up in a few weeks to look around. Thanks for all of the suggestions. Delmar/Bethlehem seems to be the ticket. I have an older son who attends SUNY Albany, so the closer I can be to him the better. He will come home on weekends occasionally with me. Just need to find an affordable studio/1 bedroom for myself. I looked a the "Mansions at Delmar" site, but they are way too expensive. I will still have to pay a mortgage on top of rent for some period of time. Looking to spend $600/month, or less. Just need a clean, safe spot to hang my hat Mon-Fri.

Kevin
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2013, 10:29 AM
Q44
 
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
895 posts, read 892,263 times
Reputation: 1772
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinHenn View Post
I will be coming up in a few weeks to look around. Thanks for all of the suggestions. Delmar/Bethlehem seems to be the ticket. I have an older son who attends SUNY Albany, so the closer I can be to him the better. He will come home on weekends occasionally with me. Just need to find an affordable studio/1 bedroom for myself. I looked a the "Mansions at Delmar" site, but they are way too expensive. I will still have to pay a mortgage on top of rent for some period of time. Looking to spend $600/month, or less. Just need a clean, safe spot to hang my hat Mon-Fri.

Kevin
Check out the (Albany) Times Union online's Real Estate section. For rental purposes you might want to concentrate on Ravena or Selkirk. Just remember you'll need to be a Bethlehem resident by the time the kids are ready for school if you want them in their district. The 2 school districts are neighbors Bethlehem to the north, Ravena-Coeymans-Selkirk (RCS) to the south. The dividing line for the 2 districts literally can go through the same development. RCS taxes are lower, so are the district results. If your rental budget is firm and it's only a temporary rental for yourself you could look nearer Coxsackie. The regional Hudson Valley newspapers are all linked online through The Register-Star. I'm sure you can get a rental in Greene county for $600. You'll be closer to work but further away from SUNY Albany.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:47 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top