Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 10:06 AM

585 posts, read 2,222,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker View Post
I don't want to seem argumentative but clearly, a couple of posts above, jasil was referring to Clifton Park as being "absolultely gorgeous".

I feel I also have to add...regarding the Saratoga scene being "snooty". I totally agree with that statement. However, I have found it is 80 to 90% trailer trash pretending they are highbrow just because they hang out in Saratoga. I always have a better time and meet a higher class of people in certain downtown Albany establishments.

My mistake, I misread his post. I've seen a "white trash" factor around here in Ballston Spa and Saratoga Springs that suprised me a bit. However, most folks seem quite friendly. Friendlier than what I'm used in the midwest. I'm not familiar enough with the area to recognize the pretenders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 08:40 AM

70 posts, read 421,312 times
Please post after you spend some time there. I'd be very interested in your thoughts as my husband and I are in the same boat as you. We just visited Albany last month for just a weekend and had a good time. It's def. does not compare to most of New York or Boston...not even close on the coolness factor, but you can tell they are trying with swanky lounges and restaurants. The problem is it feels like maybe they are trying a bit too hard to be swanky and cool while rest. and lounges in NY..even the boroughs are just effortlessly hip. All that said it is still nice that there is some culture there and not just all American rest. The spectrum movie theater was cool, and the cafe next door that is affiliated was surprisingly delicious (and we know good food). The transportation system was on time (if you are ever in a bind), and the yellow cabs were were good. I love that there is tennis courts everywhere and they are free! And people riding there bikes everywhere! I hope to read what you though of Albany, as I think we are looking for the same quality of life.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:47 PM

42 posts, read 178,436 times
Default Hello

Just stay south of the Mohawk river, even in Latham or Colonie, both are kind of too built up like Clifton Park, but have lower taxes (Even Waterford is ok if you want Saratoga taxes). I lived in Clifton Park most of my life and watched it go from a nice little town with lots of green space to a concrete jungle in the 80's and 90's, and a little bitter about what they did to my birth town. They even took Clifton Country Mall and turned half of it into a strip mall (the original section)???, when Latham Circle Mall was a strip and they enclosed it, make up your minds!!! My parents bought there house in 1969 (one of the first developments) and remember when nobody traveled the Northway. I fought the horrid northway traffic in the 90's when I went to college and vowed never to live up there again. Since the 80's, the developers have worked their way north and are now up at the foothills of the Adirondacks. To me Saratoga Springs has 1 1/2 mile main street, the Saratoga Park with SPAC and the Track, and a lot of way over priced homes. AS far as I know, THATS IT... The city seems to be having some money problems now. I don't mean to bash Saratoga, but it would be nice if they stopped building up there. Rt 9 in Clifton Park (The other way north) is now all lights, so you get more people on the Northway from that. Anyway I got a house in Troy and love it here, if you wan't that up and comming city I think Troy is it. The Artists have moved in, more businesses, has really come back around last 5 years I lived here. Close to whereever I'm going to work. Anyway take care.

Old 11-25-2007, 05:14 PM

80 posts, read 359,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyll View Post
. Anyway I got a house in Troy and love it here, if you wan't that up and comming city I think Troy is it. The Artists have moved in, more businesses, has really come back around last 5 years I lived here. Close to whereever I'm going to work. Anyway take care.
I agree, Troy is on its way up...Ironic that decades of decay have become its greatest asset. Downtown Troy still has block after block of beautiful historic buildings that are now being renovated. Unlike Albany where a lot of those buildings were demolished for new construction.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,528 times
While browsing for spas in Albany I came across your message. I am new to Albany from Allentown Buffalo. We will have to hang out when you get settled.. Send me a message my email is downtowngirl716@aol.com

Old 01-03-2008, 01:20 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,752 times
Parking in Center Square isn't atrocious once you understand the ritual of it. You will come to memorize and love the schedule (for example, State St.'s right side is closed until 12 PM on Tuesday, so that is a terrific time for government employees to move their cars there!)

Anyway, I personally couldn't do a Saratoga Springs-Holland Ave. commute everyday. I would strongly suggest Center Square. A CDTA (Capital District Transit Authority) bus would take you right to Holland Ave. After work, it'd take you to Bethlehem Price Chopper to get groceries or maybe dinner, and then right back to Center Square.

I did an internship downtown this summer (I have a car, but it was more economical to take the bus, as I live in Bethlehem) and the CDTA buses are really great and they are in the process of updating their fleet.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:08 PM

216 posts, read 376,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Parking in Center Square isn't atrocious once you understand the ritual of it.
I lived in center square for five years and loved it. I very very relunctantly moved
to CA and regret it every day but hopefully that will pass with time.

You can walk to restaurants, libraries, museums, ice skating rinks
during winter (which is nice). And during summer there are concerts
in the Rockerfeller plaza, washington park literally every week.

Lots of young students living there, lots of young families (it
was quite affordable five years ago,not as much now so to buy)
and a few long timer older residents.

Parking is not so bad once you know how things work and the
pattern of state workers. If need be, you can rent parking for $120
per month in one of the many lots buried between housing. Its a beautiful
area with lots of nice friendly people who have lots of time since they typically
walk to work!

Old 01-03-2008, 02:51 PM

9 posts, read 41,980 times
Hello all,

Once again, thank you all for the responses. I am continually amazed at this forum - this is a great resource.

Just a brief update, as I know there was at least one person who was interested in my input regarding the move. It looks as though work is going to place me out in Albany as early as February and as late as May 1. Still up in the air due to politics, but my role is essentially figured out at this point and I've begun my search anew and even started packing. I'm on travel for work through most of February and March, so I guess the time to get serious is now.

I had the chance to drive through Saratoga recently while visiting family up the Northway. It was ok, but honestly I'm not sure that it's worth the commute. I have seen plenty of places closer that I'd like just as much, and it'd avoid that monstrous commute. I am pretty sure that Ballston Spa and Saratoga Springs are off the radar for now - unless a deal trots by that knocks my socks off.

As for Center Square, I am leaning that way once again but still have not had the chance to park, walk around, and take it all in. Winter isn't really the best time for sightseeing and leisurely walking. I still can't quite get a "feel" for the neighborhood. I guess the best comparison I can give is Buffalo, because that's where I've lived recently. I would never really seriously live Downtown - it's a ghost town except for Chippewa on weekends and to me, lacks character and is close to areas that I am not too fond of. Elmwood village, while near a few shady areas around Buff State and Main Street, is in my opinion one of the greatest NY locations outside of NYC. Allentown is a little run down-ish in spots and certainly isn't as aesthetically pleasing as Elmwood, but has a real artsy, trendy vibe and is much safer than it looks. All of these areas might be deceiving to a casual home-hunter who judges on first impressions, and that's a trap that I would obviously like to avoid.

I am hesitant to judge CS without really knowing the area. I'm sure it's a unique area all its own, not like any simple comparison or other area I know. I'd just hate to move in and wish I was someplace else after knowing the city better. I've even heard great things recently about downtown Troy, but once again - without knowing where "trendy and up and coming" stops and "run-down and unsafe" begins, it's tough to really know what I want to do.

This much is certain: I will be living in the city someplace. Be it Pine Hills, where I can be close to downtown and still have my off-street parking, Center Square, or elsewhere, I am very much in the hunt and will update this post when I begin the final decision making process and finally settle down.

That being said, if there are any other people in my situation or who might be interested in my opinion of Buffalo, Albany, Binghamton, or Rochester, let me know. I have spent time in all of them now, and might have an interesting perspective as a young professional. I am happy to discuss whatever if it helps someone on here out - this board has been great to me so far and I'm happy to return the favor.

Be well, and happy new year -

Jason

Old 01-03-2008, 03:31 PM

216 posts, read 376,603 times
Center square is quite vibrant. Many political apointees and lobbyists live
there and its just gentrified so there are interesting people there as well.
Theatre, Pepsi arena, museums, restaraunts etc. are all walking distance
of less than 20 minutes.

Best of all its not expensive. You can get nice brownstones completely
refurbished for $300K (2000+ sq ft) and rent basement apartments for
$700.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I don't know about Center Square being a frat area. While there are plenty of UAlbany & Saint Rose students that live there, they're generally not the fratboy type at all. Most wouldn't touch it because, as you know, "Center Square is pretty gay". Outside of the college kids, it's a fairly diverse area between age, race and culture....you'll run into all types. The bars tend to cater a little more to the hipster crowd, but certainly not all of them...and there are plenty. There's coffee houses, bookstores, art galleries, record shops all in a very small area. Everything is walking distance to anything else. I dunno what housing you saw, but it's generally some of the nicest in Albany. All historic townhouses and 19th century apartment buildings well preserved with fine details. When I lived there I ran in Washington Park every night, it's gorgeous and if you don't know, it was designed by the same architects behind Central Park in Manhattan. Crime is not a big issue anywhere in the neighborhood, you can walk anywhere at any time of the day without worry....the biggest problem is parking, can be real tough to find a spot at times.

I can't tell you anything as far as Saratoga Springs vs. Center Square since I've only ever been to the one of them, but I do know it's a 2 minute commute vs. almost an hour!

Good luck!
Hi,
This is the first time that I am on this forum and of course it's because I need help. Does anyone know what happened to the National Commercial Bank and Trust Company that was located at 60 State Street in Albany?
Thanks for any info you can give me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area