U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 03:38 PM

9,986 posts, read 12,693,704 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the posts everyone!

I think the appeals of the Albany-Troy area (from my distant view) are affordability, historic architecture, and pleasant scenery. The West has become a tough area to start out for many people. Anywhere remotely nice is often way overpriced, and the jobs usually don't match.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 07:56 PM

2,816 posts, read 3,169,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Thanks for the posts everyone!

I think the appeals of the Albany-Troy area (from my distant view) are affordability, historic architecture, and pleasant scenery. The West has become a tough area to start out for many people. Anywhere remotely nice is often way overpriced, and the jobs usually don't match.
All I can strongly suggest is to visit for a good week before you decide to move to the Capital Region. It may or may not be what you are picturing. While I don't think its a bad place to live, I think I am judging it based on Northeastern standards, not US standards. Meaning if you already live out West, in one of the nicest states in the country, with one of the nicest major cities (Portland), I honestly don't think the Capital Region will stack up favorably.

Old in Portland Oregon is downright modern in the Capital District. Derelict areas in Portland are decent areas in Cap Dist. Sure, there are nice towns here but be prepared to pay. In big tax bills and home prices. I personally just think that Portland and Seattle and those areas just have way more to offer, especially if your home base (family, friends, and job networking connections) are already there. Compare the prices carefully. A house here with $6000 a year in property taxes (not uncommon) will add $500 a month to your mortgage, effectively adding $50 - 75k to a house that might be found in Oregon with low property taxes.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:07 AM

7,088 posts, read 4,516,584 times
I would suggest you stay in Portland and far far away of the capital region. The PNW is hand's down a much better quality of life than the NE in general. Upon one visit to Troy, Albany, and SCNY you will feel the depression that is the capital region. I settled in Toga as it's one shinning spot in the middle of a blob of gloom. The entire area here peaked 50+ years ago and it feels like it is on a downward trajectory.

Again there will be many people here that will scoff at my commentary but most likely they are from here and take offense as it is their home. Pay one visit and you will see exactly what I mean.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:31 AM

69,459 posts, read 96,277,651 times
To be fair, the metro has seen growth in population and has an above average educational attainment that is around 20th out of the top 100 biggest metros in the US. So, there are some redeeming qualities about the area. Just so people don't think I'm making things up: US2010

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...reas.html?_r=0

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-08-2013 at 10:47 AM..

Old 09-08-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
I would suggest you stay in Portland and far far away of the capital region. The PNW is hand's down a much better quality of life than the NE in general. Upon one visit to Troy, Albany, and SCNY you will feel the depression that is the capital region. I settled in Toga as it's one shinning spot in the middle of a blob of gloom. The entire area here peaked 50+ years ago and it feels like it is on a downward trajectory.

Again there will be many people here that will scoff at my commentary but most likely they are from here and take offense as it is their home. Pay one visit and you will see exactly what I mean.
Its hard to argue with this, even though I like the area, and its probably the best in NY. Again, if it was a different comparison, like Cleveland vs Capital Region, I think the Cap Reg would compare much more favorably. Saratoga is the nicest part, by far, and its a small area. I would argue that Glens Falls / Queensbury / Lake George area is also nice by national standards but also pretty small and far away from the tri-cities area.

The PNW is quite desirable in almost every attribute, so I'd visit first to make sure you want to leave that behind.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
OP, could your wife work in the private sector in terms of the Human Resources field? If so, that may help and a job like this could be a good fit for her: Schenectady Sr. HR Generalist Job - NY, 12008
Here are a couple of sites that could help your spouse: Human Resources jobs in Albany, NY - Indeed Mobile

Capital Region Human Resource Association

Ballston Spa may be a place to look into. It is close to Saratoga Springs, but I believe that it is more affordable. A rural/suburban area like the Burnt Hills/Ballston Lake area also in Saratoga County may work as well.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Here are a couple of sites that could help your spouse: Human Resources jobs in Albany, NY - Indeed Mobile

Capital Region Human Resource Association

Ballston Spa may be a place to look into. It is close to Saratoga Springs, but I believe that it is more affordable. A rural/suburban area like the Burnt Hills/Ballston Lake area also in Saratoga County may work as well.
If you get/take the position at RPI and your spouse gets a position nearby, if you want a small town not too far away, perhaps a place like Hoosick Falls could work. It is very close to Bennington VT, a small community home to Bennington College and Southern Vermont College. If you don't mind suburbs, East Greenbush or the Averill Park/West Sand Lake areas would fit.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:44 PM

334 posts, read 777,632 times
Western Oregon is beautiful. (Is that where you are coming from? I find Eastern Oregon to be incredibly stark and find Upstate NY/New England much more pleasant.) However, cost of housing here, especially historic housing, is SO MUCH cheaper here. If your salary is going to be similar, you will likely feel rich in the Capital District.

People are not as upbeat or as progressive as in Western Oregon. Honestly, my biggest gripe I have of the area as a non-native is how much the natives complain about it! If only they could see what they have here. There are definitely many more pockets of grittiness than in OR. Depends on you whether you think that is good or bad. Our neighbors moved her from Southern Cal and they recently told me that they like the grittiness, if you can belive it - they say it makes the place feel more real than the sterility of where they came from.

It sounds like you are very outdoorsy. If that is the case, the harsh winters may not bother you so much. I know lots of folks who spend their winters skiing, snowboarding, x-country skiing, snowshoeing, ice climbing, even winter camping. If you learn not to try to fight it you may end up loving it. RPI has a very active outing club , so this could be a good way to get started.

Make sure you talk frankly to folks in the RPI dept you will be working in before you accept an offer (but after getting the offer, of course). I don't want to start a debate about Shirley Jackson, but many departments at RPI have low morale and there have been a few attempted no-confidence votes by the faculty senate during her tenure, which is highly unusual in academia. Some depts are not touched by this problem, especially if you are not working as an academic, so I don't want to scare you away. Just want to make sure you do your homework before making a big move. My family spends a bit of time on the RPI campus, and there is a lot going on.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:07 AM

7,841 posts, read 8,225,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Its hard to argue with this, even though I like the area, and its probably the best in NY. Again, if it was a different comparison, like Cleveland vs Capital Region, I think the Cap Reg would compare much more favorably. Saratoga is the nicest part, by far, and its a small area. I would argue that Glens Falls / Queensbury / Lake George area is also nice by national standards but also pretty small and far away from the tri-cities area.

The PNW is quite desirable in almost every attribute, so I'd visit first to make sure you want to leave that behind.
I think that you two are missing the OP's major points: the job market for the OP in the PNW is not nearly as good as it is in other areas of the country and the kinds of homes that the OP and his wife would like in the PNW are unaffordable for them. They may have an opportunity in Albany, NY.

You are looking at "amenities" and weather and saying/implying that the PNW is so much better than Albany in that regard and that the OP should stay where he is, but the fact is that you can't eat scenery and you can't live on ambiance. People move all over the country all the time for better jobs than they have now, and this has been especially true since the recession, but has almost become a rite-of-passage for middle class Americans since WW II. They move to Fargo, ND, and El Paso, TX, and Erie, PA, and Greenville, TN. I'd rate Albany higher than any of those locales if I was looking for a job.

Furthermore, working for a college or university, whether as faculty or staff, is a pretty decent gig if you can get it. Decent pay and benies, excellent working conditions, and many perks, among them free tuition for yourself or immediate family members. I speak from experience since I've worked at a college since 1998. If the OP likes the job, he'd be foolish to turn it down simply because its location isn't as popular/fashionable as the PNW.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I think that you two are missing the OP's major points: the job market for the OP in the PNW is not nearly as good as it is in other areas of the country and the kinds of homes that the OP and his wife would like in the PNW are unaffordable for them. They may have an opportunity in Albany, NY.

You are looking at "amenities" and weather and saying/implying that the PNW is so much better than Albany in that regard and that the OP should stay where he is, but the fact is that you can't eat scenery and you can't live on ambiance. People move all over the country all the time for better jobs than they have now, and this has been especially true since the recession, but has almost become a rite-of-passage for middle class Americans since WW II. They move to Fargo, ND, and El Paso, TX, and Erie, PA, and Greenville, TN. I'd rate Albany higher than any of those locales if I was looking for a job.

Furthermore, working for a college or university, whether as faculty or staff, is a pretty decent gig if you can get it. Decent pay and benies, excellent working conditions, and many perks, among them free tuition for yourself or immediate family members. I speak from experience since I've worked at a college since 1998. If the OP likes the job, he'd be foolish to turn it down simply because its location isn't as popular/fashionable as the PNW.
I think that you should go back and re-read my posts. I said to visit before committing to anything. Then I backed why I'm stating that. I never said they shouldn't move there. Certainly, no one should turn down a good job, but it sounds like his wife also has a good state job there. They'll have to make that decision themselves. I think the other guy also said to visit first too.

I think the OP was trying to get advice on the different aspects of the area, not the merits of taking the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area