U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 05:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Hi,

I am looking into a position at RPI in Troy, NY. Looks like a pretty cool opportunity.

I have never been to the area. I am trying to visualize the Troy/Albany area and environment. We live in a small resort town, probably a lot like Saratoga Springs. It has a pretty nice climate, though our winters can get a pretty cloudy for weeks on end, and low crime. We are very outdoors-oriented, doing hiking and trail running each week, active in scouting, love fishing and camping, etc. The economy here is pretty poor and housing costs are very high (rural property has remained out of our reach), but it is pretty nice otherwise.

My impression is that the Albany/Troy area and most of Upstate NY and nearby areas are quite scenic and abound in outdoor opportunities. Also, I hear the schools are pretty good, and the area has a lot of historic housing stock at affordable prices. It think we would love all the forests, rivers, and lakes.

How is that area for jobs? My wife is a state employee (generalist in hr field), and I would have a good job in hand (or no move).

Anyone been to both places and could compare?
Fiddlehead:

I wonder if you moved, and if so, how you like the area so far? We, too, live in Oregon and are considering moving to the SSprings area. Any tips, observations, comments would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 06:52 PM

245 posts, read 379,333 times
My college roommate was from Oregon, Portland area to be exact, and visited my hometown of Amsterdam with me several times. I showed him around the area, he seemed to be impressed with the scenic nature of the Mohawk Valley and the Adirondacks. I also took him to John Boyd Thacher state park, and he liked that. He had shown me pictures of him and his family hiking out in Oregon and those pictures personally blew me away, so I was surprised to see him be impressed by Upstate NY's scenery. He could have just been smiling and nodding the whole time to be nice, though.

Although I did recently sit next to a man from Louisville, KY on a plane ride to Albany from Baltimore, and he had lived in Troy, Schenectady, Oneonta, and Amsterdam while working in Upstate NY for a period of time in the 70s. He said before he explored Northern California, Upstate NY was the most beautiful area he had ever seen, so that's saying something.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area