Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2013, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 3,813 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a job in Glens Falls. If I accept the position, I'd like to move my family to an area close by (20 minutes or less) with a small patch of land (5-10 acres). I know this is something I could google, but mileage isn't always an accurate indicator of drive time. Also, what is the surrounding area like? We'd love to be in close proximity to the Adirondacks.

The company is willing to fly me out for a visit, but I don't want to waste their time (or my own) if the area isn't something my family and I would be interested in. We've done the long, arduous commute to live in a nice area thing and we're now looking to be able to live in a nice area within a reasonable distance of my job. We're not city and/or suburbs people--we'd like to be a little away from things, but close enough for a short commute. Is this possible with a job in Glens Falls?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 04:36 PM

255 posts, read 488,068 times
"We're not city and/or suburbs people--we'd like to be a little away from things, but close enough for a short commute."

That basically describes the entire area around Glens Falls. It's wouldn't be that difficult to find a place that was 5-10 acres. The area's pretty affordable but still very nice.

Depending on where you're coming from the traffic in the region isn't bad at all.

Some places to look into: Warrensburg, Queensbury, Fort Edward, Lake George, Corinth

Old 02-11-2013, 05:20 AM

150 posts, read 300,634 times
Everyone I know who lives around there really likes it.. below is are links which might help.. hope you go on the interview, I have moved a lot and found that only by actually visiting somewhere do I know if its for me and my family,, good luck!

Glens Falls is full of things to do, delicious restaurants, and numerous places to shop for everyone in your family or friends.

Glens Falls, New York: An All American City!

Old 01-16-2014, 05:02 PM

4 posts, read 13,860 times
There are excellent properties available in the Adirondacks within a 30 minute drive of Glens Falls. I found a 3000 sq ft home, with 33 acres. I have a well with free water. My outdoor wood boiler provides all my hot water and heat for the house for free (if you like cutting wood). I also have a propane furnace as a backup but haven't used it in the Winter for the last 5 years. Electricity averages $100-$150 a month. There are more lakes to Kayak, ice fish, water ski, than I can count much less find. Lake George and all the surrounding towns have events year round. One of the largest Auto Shows in the Nation is held at Lake George along with Jazz festivals, winter festivals, etc. If you want privacy, low crime rates, fantastic views, and great schools this is the place. If you want a European vacation on the cheap, take a trip to Montreal just a couple of hours North up Interstate 87. The people speak primarily French but most know English also. The restaurants are fantastic as are the Festivals. I lived in Franklin, TN for 17 years and moved here on a whim. I went back to Franklin and found a town overrun with traffic, shopping malls, Industrial Parks and high prices. No thanks. I am staying in the Adirondacks. Glens Falls Hospital has provide my family and I excellent care. The Hudson Heathwaters Health System has clinics in several Adirondack Towns. A must place to visit is Schroon Lake.

Last edited by genepoole; 01-16-2014 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: Add great Medical Care

Old 01-16-2014, 06:36 PM

8 posts, read 10,197 times
Glens Falls is surrounded by areas that can offer you just what you want. Decent commutes, but in the winter it can get a bit slower, also during the summer with tourist season, but it also depends on where you will live. Good luck.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:22 PM

76 posts, read 136,416 times
We bought property in Granville, about 1/2 hour from Glens Falls. The area offers lots of attractions. Close but not too close to bigger cities. It has all the big stores for easy shopping. Mountains, lakes, rivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area