U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2007, 01:48 PM

4 posts, read 9,526 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am a single mother in her early 20's & will be relocating to Albany by the summer of 08' with a pre-school aged child. We currently reside in the Southeast area of Queens, N.Y. which is a middle to low income class suburban/urban area. I will be transfering to enroll in college out in the 12208 zipcode area. I have work experience in the Non-Profit sector & healthcare settings. I am currently exploring employment options & rental apartments. I would like to be in an affordable & commutable area; not having to drive a car to get from point A to B; low-crime & good elementary schools and/or day-care centers; arts & culture & ethnic diversity. If anyone has any suggestions on specific areas, please respond, asap! Thanks & God Bless
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 08:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,432 times
Well the 12208 area in Albany is a great place to live...I should know because I call it home! It really is one of the best areas in Albany to live. One of Albany's two biggest hospitals, St. Peter's, is close by. Nice homes and an affordable apartment complex. Its very close to the Albany suburbs and has a suburban feel to it. The public schools in Albany kinda have a bad rap, but there really not as horrible as some people have made them out to be. I went to public school in Albany for elementary and middle school. The high school's not the best, attending a private one would be better, but you don't have to worry about that for a long time. I'm pretty sure the public school for the 12208 area is School 19, which is a pretty good one. I never attended, but I had a lot of past friends who did and they all seemed to love it. There's a couple of Catholic schools around, one right down the street from my house actually! Good schools but if you're looking for diversity, I wouldn't really recommend them. If you have any questions, let me know.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:47 PM

382 posts, read 1,443,237 times
It's very nice area. Probably one of Albany's best.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:54 PM

17 posts, read 28,751 times
Question Looking at apartment 38 S. Main Ave

Hi Homer and others who know this zip code: I am looking at an apartment building at 38 S. Main Ave. (www.finewillrentals.com Campus View Apts) I like the web photos but live in SD so can't come see it or the neighborhood. Is the neighborhood nice and fairly quiet? How far is it from downtown Albany? I mapped it, but it doesn't show a lot of detail. i.e., how far to the nearest post office and vet? Thanks. I have never been to Albany or NY.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:58 PM

334 posts, read 778,074 times
MarieLyme - I go up and down S. Main all the time. It is a very safe neighborhood. I let my kids (ages 10 & 13) walk and ride bikes in the neighborhood by themselves all the time. There are a number of services that are just a couple of blocks from that building - a grocery store (small, but a real grocery store, not a bodega), a movie theater, drug store, coffee shop, bank, dry cleaner, public library, several restaurants & fast food places, and Steamer 10 Theater - which specializes in performances for kids. Ridgefield Park, a fairly large park, is also nearby. The park even has clay tennis courts, although I think that has a fee.

Definitely ask the realty company if you can see photos of the building and/or talk to a current tenant. Here's the deal with that building - a few years ago it was condemned while being fully inhabited. Tenants had to leave the building on short notice, and the owner was arrested when he punched the father of one of the tenants in front of a police officer who was overseeing the evacuation. Someone else bought the building and worked on if for quite a while before renting it out. So my guess is that it has had a lot of recent renovations, but I would want to see proof. I wouldn't worry about it being unsafe - I'm sure the city inspected it in detail before allowing tenants to come in again. I just don't know anyone who has lived there, and I don't know what the inside looks like. There was definitely a lot of construction activity going on recently, though.

That part of S. Main does start to get into some student rentals, but the area isn't inundated with students, so it's pretty quiet. I think it's mostly students that aren't into heavy partying who live in this neighborhood. Under the previous slumlord, that building had a lot of students, but I don't know if that is the case now. I have seen people with little kids coming in and out of the building now.

S. Main is all residential, but it is a direct route between two well-populated neighborhoods, so it is somewhat busy. It is narrow, though, and there are lights, so it's not like there is traffic whipping through at a fast pace (usually!) Also, the traffic is not all day and night - mainly just in the mornings and evenings.

I assume that "SD" is South Dakota. If so, where do you live in South Dakota? This is a safe neighborhood, but probably more urban than you are used to. Also, the Northeast is older and there isn't as much of a feeling of civic pride as there is in your neck of the woods, so the Albany area might seem a little decrepit to you.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:00 PM

Oh, and there used to be a fabulous little post office with great service within a two minute walk from that building. But USPS closed it last year (Grrrr), so now the nearest post office is about 3/4 of a mile away. And USPS is threatening to close that one too. (double grrr)

Old 03-14-2012, 12:17 PM

Default 38 S. Main Ave Albany NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarchivist98 View Post
Oh, and there used to be a fabulous little post office with great service within a two minute walk from that building. But USPS closed it last year (Grrrr), so now the nearest post office is about 3/4 of a mile away. And USPS is threatening to close that one too. (double grrr)
Hi and thanks for the helpful info on 38 S. Main Ave. I will look at the park. There are 4 photos of the interior online, floors nice and look redone. I lived in Minneapolis, MN for 13 years so I am used to city life. I do like older architecture over newer. I thought one's lease was to protect a tenant from sudden eviction? I may ask them about previous landlord. They said they rent to students and families. I want to make a trip to Albany in May via Amtrak. Too bad about post office closings. That's occurring here, too. I have relatives in Oneonta, so am also looking at that area. I need to establish residency. I need subsidized apt. because I am on disability, very low income, for chronic illness. Housing shortage and very long waiting lists. My goal is to live in a city, but I may need to begin in a smaller place because I want to move by fall. This company actually calls me with openings - amazing, but makes me a little suspicious. I do want a fairly quiet building, not parties.

I live in south central SD near family out of financial necessity, nice, rural area, but nothing here for an artist, musician, writer. I've been sick 14 years with Lyme disease and have located very good Docs in NY for it. I feel reassured about the neighborhood and thanks! Please write if you think of anything else, also: Cooperstown, Schenectady, etc. I'm on Facebook, too. Marie

Old 03-14-2012, 02:06 PM

69,572 posts, read 96,410,614 times
What about Binghamton or Utica too? I only mention these two due to distance in proximity to family and this: Broome County Arts Council, Binghamton, NY - Homepage

Utica Art Association

Old 03-14-2012, 02:27 PM

Hi. I will check out Utica. I thought Binghamton has nice old buildings, but my relative said that flooding can be a problem. She found it depressing. Thanks for the Arts Council leads. I plan on continuing to show my art work.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieLyme View Post
I thought one's lease was to protect a tenant from sudden eviction?
In general, that is true. In this case, the city forced the tenants to leave because the building was deemed unsafe. Again, this was several years ago, and the building has a new owner now and I'm sure it's been reinspected by the city.

The Capital District is nothing like Minneapolis when it comes to the arts, but it does have a lot going on for the size of the population. You may be interested in the Upstate Artists Guild, which does a lot to promote small local artists.

There are definitely some experts on Lyme Disease around here. Our family's own pediatrician has become a spokesperson within the medical community for identifying and treating Lyme after suffering from it herself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area