U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2013, 05:43 AM

20 posts, read 51,132 times

Advertisements

We have moved from considering relocating to Saratoga (the prices!) to considering Niskayuna. Specifically, "Old Niskayuna" between the Coop grocery store and Upper Union Street. It seems like a nice place for what we're after - older homes, tree-lined streets, sidewalks, walkability to some shops and transportation.

However, it seems like every third house in that neighborhood is for sale! Why does it look like there is a mass exodus from there? Are things going downhill?

Also, how long of a commute can my husband expect to Albany on the worst of days? Or clifton Park?

Thanks for any help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 06:33 AM

247 posts, read 480,284 times
I've lived in Niskayuna for over five years, but haven't noticed an excessive amount of listings lately. There are always homes for sale, to one degree or another. For the most part it's still a nice neighborhood, but I prefer where I live, on the eastern side of Balltown. Some parts of Old Niskayuna border higher-crime areas like lower Union and Van Vranken, but even then these aren't the worst neighborhoods in the area (that would be Hamilton Hill and Mont Pleasant).

Commuting to Albany can be a pain in the butt. 890 and the Thruway, on to 90 get very backed up and clogged during rush hour. If there's so much as a car pulled over, forget it, traffic will stop. People drive like morons. It got so bad I bought a motorcycle so I could have a pleasant ride through the backroads of Colonie to get downtown. But, some relief is in sight, as they're just about done with the expansion from 2 lanes to 3 lanes on the Thruway from exit 23 to exit 24. The westbound side is open and it's a much better, quicker ride on that stretch now, if you want to avoid 90.

The ride from Niskayuna to Clifton Park is a breeze in comparison, but it does get clogged at its peak about a mile on either side of the Rexford Bridge.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:47 PM

334 posts, read 778,265 times
I know lots of folks who live in Niskayuna, and I don't think it's going downhill at all. Lots of homes in Old Niskayuna are for sale because people are getting good prices for them after many years of a stagnant market. Old Niskayuna tends to have smaller homes, and right now those are the homes that are selling best, so some people are taking the opportunity to sell and move to a bigger home. I don't have it in front of me, but in a recent issue of Albany Business Review that listed wealth by zip code, Niskayuna ranked high.

I wouldn't worry about it being near the Schenectady border. The crime rate in Old Niskayuna is extremely low. I know Albany Police Department keep pretty detailed stats on types of crime and where they are occurring and are open to talking with homeowners about it. My guess is Niskayuna doesn't do this as much because crime rate is low, and they also want to hush up any crime that does happen to keep up their reputation, but it's worth a try to call the PD.

Taxes everywhere in Upstate NY are high, but Schenectady County has some of the highest. Although that has affected home sales in the City of Schenectady, I don't think the effect has been nearly as great in Niskayuna.

The commute to Albany isn't horrible, but can be annoying (which is why you might want to look at Bethlehem. Similar type of town, but much closer to Albany.) The two main ways are on the Thruway, where traffic can back up at the tolls and Central Ave that has lots of lights. It is generally easier than commuting from Clifton Park, though, because there are more alternative routes and you don't have to deal with Friday afternoon traffic of people heading up to the Adirondacks.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:39 PM

95 posts, read 174,913 times
If you want to be close to Albany I recommend Bethlehem, Guilderland and South Colonie. South Colonie has very low taxes.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:05 AM

247 posts, read 480,284 times
Yeah, the taxes in Colonie are the lowest in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area