U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 07:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,382 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are thinking about relocating to the Albany area, and we are total sticklers for great schools for our kids. We are considering Delmar or Niskayuna. What are the main differences between these towns, as far as the types of people, etc.? Is one town or the other more open to welcoming people who did not grow up in the area? We are both professional and have small children, and would love to have an active social life. We also don't want too rural of a "feel." In addition, I get the feeling that the commute into Albany from Delmar isn't too bad, but how about Niskayuna? Does it matter much how far north you are in Niskayuna (vs. south)? I would love your input!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 06:22 AM

28 posts, read 58,059 times
Do you mean the job is on fuller rd? If so that is west of downtown and easier to get to from those areas. Not sure about traffic from Delmar but it's only a few miles. From niskayuna if you take 90 it won't be too bad in morning but is often stopped around the toll booths in the evening. Fuller rd is right at the tolls so it probably starts moving again as you head west (I don't know bc I go from downtown and get off before toll). Depending on where in niskayuna there are other routes-you could take central ave/rte 5 and various back roads that run along it.

You might also look into guilderland (part of fuller is actually in this town), north and south colonie.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:37 AM

2 posts, read 3,382 times
Thank you for the reply! Yes, the job is on Fuller Rd., I think right in the city. My impression is that Delmar would be an easy commute. However, we are learning toward Niskayuna. If he took 90 from Fuller Rd towards Niskayuna, are you saying that he would have missed the backup as he enters 90 North (the backup would be behind him)? Or he would enter the thick of the backup? Sorry to be so detailed but he has a long commute now (1 hour) and this is something we are hoping to improve with our move!
Maybe we are crazy to be stuck on Niskayuna, but it seems to have good schools and a decent selection of houses for sale. We are looking to spend around $350K, and don't care if it is older or newer. We would love a house at least 2500 square feet.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:50 AM

247 posts, read 480,284 times
• You can get a nice place at that square footage in Niskayuna for $350k. Shouldn't be a problem. One of the top 3 school districts in the area, some say the best.

• Don't take the Thruway to Fuller Rd. It's a mess at rush hour and overloaded. There are plenty of quick side roads you could take, like Route 7, Central Ave, Vly Rd, Wolf Rd, etc. Niskayuna is more of an east-west divide at Balltown (new vs. old).

• All the suburbs in the area have a "live and let live" attitude for the most part. Some neighborhoods are more hoity toity than others, but drive through them and you'll get a feel, it's all obvious when you see the properties. If you have any questions about specific Niskayuna neighborhoods ask them here. It's nice because most areas are pretty private and quiet, but you have quick access to all the shopping in Schenectady, Colonie, and Clifton Park.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:08 AM

253 posts, read 434,761 times
Niskayuna would really only be a 20-30 min commute (during rush hour) to fuller road so I dont think you have anything to worry about there.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:14 AM

28 posts, read 58,059 times
Yes if he took thruway (90) he'd be entering right in the thick of traffic. But as plant weed says there are lots if alternate routes. Central ave (5) and rte 7 get pretty backed up too, but there are lots of alternate/side roads to bypass them depending on where you live.

I had a similar price range to you and we were looking for 4 bedrooms not necessarily a certain square footage. There was plenty to look at in niskayuna but higher taxes avid further commute made us decide to live closer to albany. Old niskayuna the homes are going to be smaller. A lot of the newer homes in nisky are south colonie schools so that's something to be aware of if you are set on niskayuna school district.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:51 PM

334 posts, read 778,265 times
If he is working on Fuller Rd, the commute from Niskayuna will not be much longer than from Delmar. On some days, it might be even faster from Niskayuna since there is less stop and go. Fuller Rd is on the west side of the city.

How old are your kids? From what I understand, it is easier for older kids to break into the schools in Niskayuna. Bethlehem tends to be more clique-ish, maybe because it is less transient. Niskayuna has a lot of professors and people working at GE that come from around the world. If your kids are younger, either district should be fine.

I work with a lot of people from Niskayuna, and they tell me that the schools provide a great education for the motivated and high-achieving student. Their feeling was that their kids that were more average academically were ignored or even disdained. This is only a small sample size, so take it with a grain of salt.

Knh1229 is correct - there are some very strange boundaries that can leave you in Niskayuna for property taxes and in South Colonie for school district. This is further complicated by the fact that these are in two different counties!! I think South Colonie is a very fine school district, and it receives good reviews for its special education program. However, if you really want Niskayuna, you do need to verify the district before purchasing.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:26 PM

19 posts, read 55,069 times
These posts have been very helpful as we are considering moving to the Albany area from Georgia and trying to decide between either Niskayuna or Bethlehem school districts. I have a high schooler who is a great football player and Lacrosse player. The comment above about being more welcome to outsiders makes me lean toward Niskayuna. I also have a daughter in elementary school. We are looking for a close-knit neighborhood/community where the kids could make fast friends. (we currently live in a country club gated community where my kids swim on the neighborhood swim team and play on the neighborhood tennis team). Any recommendations on neighborhood? Do the comments from 2013 still apply? Any other comments anyone could make would be very helpful! Does either school have a better sports program? My kids are good students (A's and B's) but not straight A+ students.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:05 PM

69,628 posts, read 96,460,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyCA View Post
These posts have been very helpful as we are considering moving to the Albany area from Georgia and trying to decide between either Niskayuna or Bethlehem school districts. I have a high schooler who is a great football player and Lacrosse player. The comment above about being more welcome to outsiders makes me lean toward Niskayuna. I also have a daughter in elementary school. We are looking for a close-knit neighborhood/community where the kids could make fast friends. (we currently live in a country club gated community where my kids swim on the neighborhood swim team and play on the neighborhood tennis team). Any recommendations on neighborhood? Do the comments from 2013 still apply? Any other comments anyone could make would be very helpful! Does either school have a better sports program? My kids are good students (A's and B's) but not straight A+ students.
Both are very good/highly rated school districts, but what may help in regards to Niskayuna is that they are the reigning State Champ in Class A(NY's biggest classification). It is the best Lacrosse program in Section 2(the section for Capital District schools). Niskayuna wins Section II's first lacrosse state title - Times Union

Old 07-22-2015, 09:29 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,066,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Both are very good/highly rated school districts, but what may help in regards to Niskayuna is that they are the reigning State Champ in Class A(NY's biggest classification). It is the best Lacrosse program in Section 2(the section for Capital District schools). Niskayuna wins Section II's first lacrosse state title - Times Union
Isn't the Navy's nuclear reactor in Niska?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area