Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 07:55 AM

82 posts, read 166,788 times

Advertisements

If you had a choice to live in Clifton Park or Troy, which would you pick and why?

For me it's a big no brainer. Clifton Park all the way. Much less crime, much better everything, and a lot better place to have a family or retire at.

I just have somebody telling me how much better Troy is...and was back in the 80's. I remember. And I disagree.

Last edited by Bass Daddy; 06-20-2013 at 08:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 08:28 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,157,947 times
I lived in Troy years ago (1990-1991), in a townhouse on Second Street just south of Washington Park. It was a nice enough neighborhood, and I didn't feel threatened or anything. I did have some brats smash my car window and steal some tapes once but that didn't really influence my decision since I wouldn't have bought in that neighborhood anyways. I just felt that Troy was out of the way and inconvenient, the taxes were high for what you got, and that it wasn't all that welcoming to newcomers.

When I bought my house, I bought in Colonie (West Albany, so NOT fancy at all). It was a quiet, safe, friendly neighborhood, convenient to my job (I worked in Menands), I-90, and only 2.4 miles down Sand Creek to Wolf Road shopping and dining.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:38 AM

255 posts, read 485,912 times
I'm a bit biased because I could never stand suburbs (having grown up in Loudonville) so ill just say Troy. Troy has so rally great things going for it. It embraces the river in a way that albany doesn't, has a great farmers market, has a bunch of cool new restaurants, is close to a very nice college (which has it owns perks), and has beautiful architecture.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hock41 View Post
It embraces the river in a way that albany doesn't
Yeah. They got a couple bars/restaurants full of people in their early twenties on the river. A very small park nobody uses unless an event is there. Not one marina. And no fishing access spots. Still more than Albany does though.

The whole capital district don't embrace the river IMO. The most I see are the striper fishermen. And there are way more down river.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:28 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,507,383 times
It depends on what you're looking for. If you are a family and prefer suburbs, I would say Clifton Park. If you are a younger person, single (or no kids), and like city-life better, I would say Troy. My sister has lived in Troy for over 10 years... was just out there last month and heading back out there today If I had to choose between Clifton Park and Troy, I would choose Troy hands down. I like having everything in walking distance and I've never ever felt unsafe there (yes, even walking home from the bars in the middle of the night). I also know the places NOT to go, which is important for feeling safe

Really, trying to compare CP and Troy is like apples to oranges. They are completely different.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:34 PM

334 posts, read 848,998 times
Agree with Becca8377. They are so completely different and appeal to very different sorts of people. I would pick Troy hands-down because you don't need a car everywhere you go and there are lots of cultural events to take part in - Arts Center of the Capital Region, Troy Night Out, Empac, festivals. Also more small, family-owned, ethnic restaurants. I live in Albany, but there are lots of neighborhoods like mine in Troy where kids can get places on their own power without relying on their parents to drive them there. I hate sprawling suburbs, which is what Clifton Park is. But this is me, not you.

If you prefer more security over arts and culture, easy access to lots of chain stores and restaurants, less grittiness, taking part in youth sports, and don't mind spending a lot of time in your car, then Clifton Park is definitely the choice for you. Clifton Park also has a fantastic library, and even a few very pleasant hidden natural spots.

The two areas just appeal to two completely different sensibilities. If you like one, you will probably hate the other.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:42 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,542,365 times
Short answer. Depends. Depends on what you're looking for. If you enjoy city life, then Troy is ok. If you like the burbs, then Clifton Park. If you have kids and want a really good school, then Clifton Park. If you want lots of shopping and restaurants very close by, then Clifton Park. Also depends where you work and what kind of commute you can deal with!

Me, I grew up in Halfmoon surrounded by farms. I remember when Clifton Park had a Grand Union and the Mall and that was it. Oh and a ton of forests. I also lived in Troy as a kid and HATED it. It was such a horrible experience for me. I couldn't wait to go back to my people. I say that because I worked in Albany for Home Depot for awhile and couldn't stand it. I asked for a transfer to Latham and was told no and asked why I'd want to be around those snobs. Ummm...I lived on the border of Latham and Cohoes at the time. I was one of those snobs! The HR guy's face turned about 20 shades of red and purple.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:23 PM

Yeah...if you want the downtown bar scene...Troy has it. That's about it. I find nothing about the place artsy or nice. And I'd never let my kids roam the streets of the Troylet.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:21 AM

42 posts, read 178,137 times
Personally, I grew up in Clifton Park 24 years and then moved to Troy 11 years ago, I prefer Troy. There are CP like neighborhoods here, its closer to everything and NO Northway!!! The neighborhoods change from street to street pretty quickly, from shady to hole like to nice (I have walked many of them), nothing bad though. The city has improved, last 20 years or so and still has a long way to go. Like Saratoga Springs (Saratoga Lake was a also shanty town only 20+ years ago) or any NE city, the place to be in the 40's and a dump in the 70's. Troy lost mostly everything it had and never got what was supposed to get. Anyway, its not bad here, just needs some more polish.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:08 PM

5 posts, read 8,596 times
I've lived in Troy (went to Lansingburgh high school) and I now live in CP with my husband and daughter. I LOVE CP but it really depends on what you are looking for. It's perfect for a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area