U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 11:54 AM

25 posts, read 49,128 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I may be moving with my spouse to Albany area soon. We both will be at University of Albany SUNY, the main campus just west of the city of Albany.

We are hoping some of you might be able to help us find good areas to live and buy a house. Here is some info on what we are looking for in living area.

1. Budget: we would really, really prefer to not pay over $250,000 max for a single family house.

2. House: we are looking for a single family, 2 bath, 2+ bedroom. Don't want a big yard, I am tired of cutting grass. Older homes are nice, as long as they are updated.

3. Neighborhood: residential/suburban. Nothing in a busy place, we prefer quiet places, but not the countryside. No old farm houses for us.

4. Commute: I prefer to commute less than 30 minutes, the shorter the better.

5. No kids, so we don't care about the schools.

Online, we looked around and saw some very nice older homes in Schenectady. Is that a viable option if we both work at SUNY? If so, where abouts there is nice?

Oh, and one final note. I grew up in Syracuse, so the snow in your area won't bother me too much.

Thanks in advance. I have seen some great posts here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 01:24 PM

95 posts, read 174,743 times
What about South Colonie?

Old 12-07-2013, 02:47 PM

25 posts, read 49,128 times
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't know the area though. What is it like?

Old 12-07-2013, 04:27 PM

7,841 posts, read 8,221,077 times
I would highly recommend South Colonie, too. South Colonie is just north of Central Avenue (Rt 5) from Everett Road on the east over to New Karner Road on the west, from Central Avenue to Albany Shaker. One of the major roads through the area is Sand Creek. This area is really close to the university; shopping at Colonie Center; the Pine Bush Preserve; the city of Albany itself, etc.

I lived there for 7 years in a little house on Exchange Street across from the baseball fields. That's the "poor side of town" for Colonie as it was the former little "village" of West Albany. It's not high crime or anything but the houses are small because they mostly date from the 1920s. Starting a few blocks west of Everett Road, you get into homes built later, and they're much larger and more modern, as most were built in the 1950s or later. The newest and largest homes in the area are generally west of Wolf Road. Some of the areas in South Colonie would include: West Albany, Roessleville, Colonie.

The one thing that you should be wary of is that the area is fairly close to the Albany airport, and some neighborhoods are in the regular flight paths. Check that out. My house was not, but occasionally one would fly fairly close.

If I was going to live in Albany again, I would definitely look for homes in South Colonie if I worked in Albany, Menands, the State Office Campus or at SUNY, etc.

The northern part of Colonie, which begins at Albany Shaker and points north to the Mohawk River, is also nice. It tends to be pricer (IMO) and I think it has worse traffic. Guilderland and Bethlehem are nice suburban areas to the south of I-90. These areas were being developed when I lived in Albany in the 1990s, so there are a lot of newer homes in those areas, but many are very pricey compared to most of the areas in Colonie.

Last edited by Linda_d; 12-07-2013 at 04:35 PM..

Old 12-07-2013, 04:38 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,062,498 times
As best as I know, SUNY Albany has been cutting staff and faculty for the last 10 years. You may want to wait a year or two before committing to the area with a house purchase. The real estate market in the Capital District is not exactly vibrant and real estate taxes are extremely high.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:33 PM

724 posts, read 591,121 times
The New Scotland area of Albany is an old streetcar suburb neighborhood, but very quiet with a lot of homeowners. There's also the area around Whitehall Road and Holland Ave. If you don't care about the schools, there are a few places in the city itself that would fit your needs, and these areas are very close to beautiful countryside.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:44 PM

69,380 posts, read 96,177,967 times
Third the South Colonie area. Perhaps the Buckingham Lake-Crestwood area of the city of Albany too(think Meadowbrook/Bradford Hills on Syracuse's East Side around Barry Park/Nottingham High, etc).

Also, while there aren't booms, there aren't housing busts either. Overall COL is a little but higher than other Upstate NY metro to the west, but the average annual income is the highest in Upstate NY too.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:39 AM

7,841 posts, read 8,221,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
As best as I know, SUNY Albany has been cutting staff and faculty for the last 10 years. You may want to wait a year or two before committing to the area with a house purchase. The real estate market in the Capital District is not exactly vibrant and real estate taxes are extremely high.
While I would rent first myself when moving to an area I didn't know well, I don't think that the OP has to worry much about his job disappearing within a couple of years because there's a significant amount of attrition due to retirement happening all through the state workforce, and SUNY is no different. Because the state has been cutting positions all over, many agencies/SUNY schools have reached a critical point where they have to fill positions that come open or they can't function. Moreover, because they haven't been hiring new staff, they are losing many employees to retirement.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:35 PM

95 posts, read 174,743 times
I think Buckingham Lake is very nice but high taxes unfortunately....(as with much of the area)....if you are renting it doesn't really matter but for buying if you want low taxes Colonie is the way to go if you want to be close to SUNY--otherwise if further Clifton Park but you'd likely have a lot of traffic.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:20 PM

69,380 posts, read 96,177,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshells72 View Post
I think Buckingham Lake is very nice but high taxes unfortunately....(as with much of the area)....if you are renting it doesn't really matter but for buying if you want low taxes Colonie is the way to go if you want to be close to SUNY--otherwise if further Clifton Park but you'd likely have a lot of traffic.
What about Westmere or McKownville in the town of Guilderland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area