U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 08:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,520 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm hoping to move to the Albany/Troy area in late 2014. As a new grad nurse, my options of where to live are very limited. I've been pointed to Albany and the Finger Lakes region as possible places I could find employment.

I keep reading of complaints of taxes. I know they're murder on LI (my aunt is paying $13,000 for an old, unimpressive 4 bedroom). So how bad are they in Albany? If I bought a $150,000-$200,000 house, what would I be paying? What are the city and state income taxes as well?

Thanks everyone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 09:18 PM

70,623 posts, read 97,572,657 times
I don't believe that there are city taxes and as a heads up, I believe that the median home price/value in the area is about $208,000, but the area has the second average annual income in Upstate behind only Ithaca, if I'm not mistaken.

BTW- Where in the Finger Lakes would you be able to consider?

Old 12-29-2013, 06:15 AM

7,841 posts, read 8,274,416 times
Rensselaer County (Troy) tends to have lower home prices but higher taxes. Albany County (Albany) outside of the city of Albany itself tends to have higher home prices but lower taxes. When I lived in the Albany area in the 1980s-1990s, the Town of Colonie just outside of Albany had the best match of price and taxes. Schnectady County, which is west of Albany and includes the small city of Schnectady, tends to have even lower home prices but I'm not sure about taxes. It wasn't convenient for my commute, so I didn't really consider it when I was looking for homes.

The City of Albany has significantly higher taxes than surrounding areas because they have a paid professional fire department with EMS and a larger police department. Colonie has an excellent VFD with professional EMS and a much smaller, very typical suburban police department (ie, noise, speeding, & vandalism fighters).

Saratoga County north of Albany County is another option, particularly the suburb of Clifton Park. Saratoga has some pricey real estate but also a lot of townhouses and modest starter homes. Taxes are probably about the same as Albany.

I think that your nursing license would enable you to find employment in just about any of the cities in NYS, not simply the Capital Region or the Finger Lakes, including large cities like Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo and smaller ones like Batavia, Canadaigua, Corning, etc.

Finally, if you are interested in public health or if you'd prefer good benies to high salary, you should consider working for NYS. The state is always hiring nurses, especially if you don't mind working in corrections facilities. Even with the recent change in the pension plan for new hires, the NYS pension plan for state and local employees is still a much better deal than any defined contribution plan.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:22 PM

95 posts, read 175,637 times
In general our taxes in the capital region per value of house are similar to Long Island but our house values are lower. On that value of house I'd say your taxes would vary from $3000 to $7000 depending what part of the area you live in. I recommend Colonie for low taxes. If you don't mind a longer commute Clifton Park also has low taxes.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:10 PM

13,945 posts, read 13,030,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpioAries View Post

I keep reading of complaints of taxes. I know they're murder on LI (my aunt is paying $13,000 for an old, unimpressive 4 bedroom). So how bad are they in Albany? If I bought a $150,000-$200,000 house, what would I be paying? What are the city and state income taxes as well?

Thanks everyone.
Property taxes will vary drastically. It depends on what city or town you're in. Look at houses on realtor.com and see what the taxes are.

There aren't any city income taxes. State income taxes is based on your income. You can look on the state tax website for info. No way to tell you what your income taxes will be.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:20 PM

28 posts, read 58,309 times
Property taxes are still higher in NY than most other states, but lower in the capital region compared to Long Island or other areas further south. There are typically higher retail taxes than other states as well but again compared to LI better because those vary by county.

I'm also confused as to why you'd be limited in nursing jobs-they seem to be everywhere.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knh1229 View Post
Property taxes are still higher in NY than most other states, but lower in the capital region compared to Long Island or other areas further south. There are typically higher retail taxes than other states as well but again compared to LI better because those vary by county.

I'm also confused as to why you'd be limited in nursing jobs-they seem to be everywhere.
There are actually states with higher sales tax rates, as it is a source of revenue to help make up the difference for lower taxes for other aspects. Median home prices in many areas in lower tax states may be higher as well.

Also, pay may be higher in the area in comparison to similar areas in other states. So, it may at least even out, all things considered.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:53 PM

28 posts, read 58,309 times
Yes. I definitely agree is also higher in NY than many of the lower tax states. When I made the comment about retail taxes I had NJ, PA, and MA in mind. All are lower than NY (for sales tax- property taxes in Nj are insanely high) but salaries are probably comparable to here (maybe even higher in nj depending on field).

Old 01-11-2014, 06:24 AM

7,445 posts, read 14,794,209 times
To give you an idea of cost of living you might try a "relocation calculator." If you use a basic $100,000 as 1 you can get an idea of variables.
Cost of Living comparison calculator

Old 01-11-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
To give you an idea of cost of living you might try a "relocation calculator." If you use a basic $100,000 as 1 you can get an idea of variables.
Cost of Living comparison calculator
Good point. If there is a specific community, this one is pretty good too:Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-15-2014 at 07:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area