Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2007, 08:20 AM

30 posts, read 130,720 times

Advertisements

Specifically in the Accounting field and Accounting support?

I look in the job boards and the local newspapers and don't see a heck of alot there.

Is there other avenues where people look for jobs in this region?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 12:52 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,579,439 times
I think you're stuck between calling up and sending resumes to employment agencies, sending resumes to employers/companies, seeing postings, or word of mouth.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:47 AM

18 posts, read 71,629 times
I too have a potential federal job with the VA at Albany, and am wondering what the true facts are regarding living there as well a raising a young son there? What are other job opps like in the region and is it better to live outside fo Albany and work inside, etc? How are the schools and which are better than others?

I have been all around the USA and I see other posts here in this forum regarding NY; but I will tell you, I believe many do not relaize just what they have or had and leave an area only to have wasted their lives chasing green laws that just are not there.

I have been in NC last 8 years and talked to so many from NY or those who went to FLA and came back halfway to NY and in the end, NONE of them are happy they ever left NY as a whole looking back now and cannot afford to leave where they have retired to now in this region as its costs have escalated mainly on heels of massive retirees coming from the north or western areas here; but jobs are gone here, outsourced or moved out, and unemployment very high here and little job opps with average wages of maybe $9.00/hour, and I have run inot manyr etirees forced to try to compete for a Wal mart job just to make ends meet now here./

If anyone cares to e-mail me at Investrman@aol.com I would greatly appreciate any replies regarding the Albany area.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:53 PM

18 posts, read 74,850 times
There are a lot of very nice places to live near Albany, though the city other than the New Scotland area is sometimes not so hot. We moved to the Halfmoon/Clifton Park area two years ago from Dutchess County... we're right at the bottom of Saratoga County. 20 minutes to downtown Albany, 30 to downtown Saratoga Springs, and the area around us is still quiet, though hardly rural anymore. Within ten minutes of the house we have several good shopping centers, the usual multiscreen cinema, tons of very good non-chain restaurants and the rest of it, but we still live in a place with little traffic and no streetlights. Wonderful, like Dutchess County was thirty years ago but with more conveniences.

Bethlehem and Slingerlands areas just south of Albany are nice, too. The Times Union Center (formerly the Pepsi Arena) has a ton of good concerts and events, as does the Palace theatre... two and a half hours to Lake Placid, two and a half hours to Boston, forty minutes to Jiminy Peak for skiing.

Saratoga Springs and Ballston Spa further up in Saratoga County are great, and Glens Falls is really starting to come on strong, after a long time. They have a gorgeous hospital and a rapidly improving downtown, and they're only about an hour north of Albany.

Beware of the Northway during the rush hours, though... but during the day and off peak hours it's a great way to get someplace quick.

As for the original employment question: I'm self employed, but my wife works as a budget analyst. We moved here with no job for her, but after we got the house in order she had no problem getting re-employed. You have to remember that you've got not only Albany to work in but Troy, Schenectady and Saratoga as well, along with the big business parks out in Colonie and Latham around the airport and British American Blvd. There seem to be lots of opportunities.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:18 PM

80 posts, read 359,127 times
Try this site:

New York State Department of Civil Service

It is the NYS site for finding a state job. I would guess all of the state departments(whether it's the Dept of Taxation and Finance or the Dept of Fish and Wildlife) have accounting positions.

As a private sector employee, the whole process of obtaining a state job is just baffling to me...there are exams you have to take that rank you on some list somewhere...it's really just a stange process. But if you get a state job you'll have great benefits and, in most cases, not a bad salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area