U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2014, 07:36 AM

23 posts, read 43,114 times

Advertisements

I'm a young professional and I found a job opportunity in Schenectady so I'll be moving soon. However, I've read and heard really bad things about the area (even one of my future coworkers mentioned that I should avoid living there if I can) so I'm looking at other options. I've been looking at different apartment complexes in the Niskayuna/Glenville/Scotia areas such as Shady Lane Apartments and Hillcrest Apartments, but I've read the it can be a little too suburban for me (I'm not a party animal or a person that needs to go out all the time, but I do appreciate having access to nice restaurants, movie theaters, shops and different activities). That's why I'm considering renting a place in Albany, specifically in the Center Square neighborhood. Is this a bad idea? Will the commute be impossible going to work in the morning and back home in the afternoon? How about parking? Is it safe?

I'm open to any ideas or suggestions, since I'm a little clueless and completely new to the area. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 07:59 AM

69,695 posts, read 96,502,564 times
Perhaps the Upper Union area of Schenectady could work: Upper Union Street Business Improvement District|Upper Union Street Business Improvement District

I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:53 AM

253 posts, read 434,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Driver View Post
I'm a young professional and I found a job opportunity in Schenectady so I'll be moving soon. However, I've read and heard really bad things about the area (even one of my future coworkers mentioned that I should avoid living there if I can) so I'm looking at other options. I've been looking at different apartment complexes in the Niskayuna/Glenville/Scotia areas such as Shady Lane Apartments and Hillcrest Apartments, but I've read the it can be a little too suburban for me (I'm not a party animal or a person that needs to go out all the time, but I do appreciate having access to nice restaurants, movie theaters, shops and different activities). That's why I'm considering renting a place in Albany, specifically in the Center Square neighborhood. Is this a bad idea? Will the commute be impossible going to work in the morning and back home in the afternoon? How about parking? Is it safe?

I'm open to any ideas or suggestions, since I'm a little clueless and completely new to the area. Thanks!
First of all, it's possible to live in the city of Schenectady yourself, especially if you're renting. Downtown Schenectady is a happening place especially the area surrounding Proctors with lots of bars, a movie theatre etc. The areas you should be looking to rent in would be the Stockade District (the area between State Street and Erie Blvd) and the streets surrounding Union College. Those two areas are both safe and pretty inexpensive. The stockade even has a nice small park near the river.

Second, yes the center square area is pretty much what you'd be looking for (I live there myself) but you'd just have to be ok with a 25 to 35 minute commute using the thruway. Parking wouldn't be that big of a problem, you just might be forced to park 2 or 3 blocks away sometimes.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:14 AM

23 posts, read 43,114 times
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check out what options I have in the areas you mentioned.

Although I would definitely prefer to live near my job, a 30 minute commute is not a big deal (at the moment, it takes me 30 minutes to get to work so I'm used to it). My main concern is safety and location, so driving longer for the right place won't be a problem.

EDIT:

Is Union Street in Schenectady a good area?

Last edited by Elle Driver; 03-06-2014 at 10:36 AM..

Old 03-06-2014, 11:58 AM

253 posts, read 434,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Driver View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check out what options I have in the areas you mentioned.

Although I would definitely prefer to live near my job, a 30 minute commute is not a big deal (at the moment, it takes me 30 minutes to get to work so I'm used to it). My main concern is safety and location, so driving longer for the right place won't be a problem.

EDIT:

Is Union Street in Schenectady a good area?

Yeah, I'd say your average commute from Albany would probably be a half hour or so.

Yep, Union street is a very good area, that's in the area around Union College that I mentioned and the area in the Stockade that mentioned.

For you and your needs I would look at the intersections of Park place and Union street, Seward and Union, Barrett and Union and Library Lane and Union. Those intersections are close to some cool bars and restaurants. Any more east than those intersections and you hit suburbia.

The intersections in the stockade worth looking into would be N Church and Union, N Ferry and Union, Washington Ave and Union and N College street and union.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:47 PM

334 posts, read 778,388 times
Agree with everything hock41 has said. Center Square is definitely bigger and has more going on plus more young professionals, but you can find enough in Schenectady to keep you busy. Parts of Schenectady are bad (just like Albany), but it is not the whole city by any stretch. Schenectady has had some severe financial troubles, which has led to very high property taxes and difficulty in selling houses, but if you are a renter, this shouldn't affect you.

Rent in good parts of Schenectady is cheaper than in Center Square, but if you are coming from someplace like Boston, NYC or DC, rents in either place will seem very low to you. You will get some traffic going from Albany to Schenectady, but a lot is going in the other direction. I don't do that commute, but work with several people who do the opposite commute, and it's not too bad. Fewer people go from Albany to Schenectady, so you shouldn't have much trouble once you get out of Albany proper. Probably the slowest is getting the few blocks from Center Square to the highway in the morning and the highway traffic close to downtown Albany.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:56 AM

247 posts, read 480,380 times
The Van Antwerp apartments in Niskayuna are within walking distance to upper Union St. business district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area