U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 06:51 PM

4 posts, read 5,200 times

Advertisements

OK, got a great job in DT Schenectady with a major grocery chain. They are paying for full relo with temporary housing, so I will have some time when I get there but am doing research now.

First, I am very into Pilates and Yoga. We have a fitness center with classes and personal trainers at the new HQ for my employer. However, I am very much into Pilates and, to a lesser extent, yoga. And by Pilates I mean taking instruction from someone who has followed a classical methodology and isn't just teaching a mat class at the local fitness center in between Body Step classes. I'm looking for a great studio with equipment, or a fitness center that has equipment but that is pretty rare. Any body with thoughts and experiences?

To a lesser extent, I like yoga. I like all methods including yin, heated, Bikram, vinyasa and hatha. What are people's favorite studios?

I'm torn between buying and renting. Doesn't look to be a "hot" area to buy. If I knew I'd get 10% back in 2 years, I'd buy for sure but the market doesn't look to support that. So maybe on the buy. The upside is the costs are pretty low there compared to where I'm coming from and other areas I looked. I want a townhouse or condo, because I hate yard work, and there looked to be some nicer new townhouses in Rotterdam pretty close to work. OTOH, I like a great neighborhood like some areas in Albany would offer. That's not going to be new. The recruiter at work recommended Colonie. Basically, I want some walkability, views and ambience with modern amenities. Might be tough. Give me some recs! I'd rather drive to cool areas at night and on the weekend and save 45 minutes per day (round-trip) on a commute. My office is very close to Union College.

I'm gay. I'm assuming Albany has more options to meet people. This is very optional as I can figure that out, but any gayer neighborhoods than others is appreciated but again, my main concern is proximity to work and my daily life and I can drive for my leisure and personal pursuits.

Oh yeah, I'm addicted to tennis (4.0). Which clubs are best? Other ways to play?

Lastly, I have a Sheltie. He likes to go to doggie daycare and I need a place to board him when I come back home to Wisconsin or a weekend getaway. Thoughts or recs?

Thanks. I'm still doing research. Good to get some answers to these questions right now. Living in Schenectady makes logistical sense but I fear what I'm going to want is closer to Colonie or Albany.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 08:14 PM

28 posts, read 58,015 times
I can't help you with much but check into the Pilates Prinicple in Latham. I think that might be what you are looking for. Not sure if there are any similar options closer to where you'll be working. There are tons of options for yoga studios throughout the area, but I'm not familiar with any.

I do live in Colonie, and for the most part, it's not super walkable. I mean, you can walk, there are sidewalks, but the roads are extremely busy with fast moving cars and they are not always looking out for pedestrians. Most of what you can walk to is chain stores, etc- there's no 'village' or town center. I like it for location and convenience but you may enjoy something right in either schenectady or albany if you are looking for a more neighborhood feel. Driving from Albany or Colonie to work wouldn't be so terrible because most people go the opposite direction.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:49 PM

95 posts, read 174,802 times
I might be interested in watching your sheltie. Can you give me your e-mail?

Old 04-19-2014, 06:56 AM

21 posts, read 40,107 times
Did you end up finding anything out? We are moving to Saratoga area this summer and I am interested in the same as far as yoga studios etc

Old 04-19-2014, 10:00 AM

I have gone to Pilates Principle in Latham and it is FANTASTIC. I tried to go to Estudio yoga and it was a disaster, I can't recommend them at all. Worst yoga experience ever, and I've done over 500 classes in the last 5 years.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:35 PM

Omg what happened? Just inexperienced teachers? Where is estudio? I guess I could google it lol

Old 04-19-2014, 09:22 PM

I got there at 5:03 PM for a 5:00 PM class, the door was locked and the teacher saw/heard me but ignored me. Another student let me in. I had pre-registered, just got a bit lost on the way there and should have been 10 minutes early but just a tiny bit late. I needed props and a place to sit and the teacher literally ignored me, wouldn't make eye contact, wouldn't acknowledge me or speak to me. It was so awkward. All in front of the class. I just left. I really only needed to know where the props were and where to sit. Nope, she was not going to talk to me.

I guess they had two studios and the co-owners had a fight and they split, don't know much beyond that. Not a great energy for a yoga studio.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:13 PM

Wow... I hate when I go into a studio and feel like I am not allowed to be there like it is a secret circle or something. What was the teachers name so I can avoid that one

Old 04-21-2014, 04:50 PM

95 posts, read 174,802 times
You can do continuing education through any local school district and they almost all have yoga.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:32 PM
Status: "Silent observation is not condoning" (set 22 days ago)

1,498 posts, read 1,432,253 times
My advice is stay out of Schenectady proper. Parts (most) of the surrounding areas are fine, like Niskayuna, Rotterdam, Scotia, etc.....but sadly the city of Schenectady continues its downward spiral. That's a shame, because the architecture & walkability of parts of the Electric City are fantastic, ( the Stockade for example). There are some very nice townhome developments along the route 146 corridor you'd probably like.

Colonie is very nice, but not walkable imo. I find this entire region to be very gay friendly and open; although I'm coming from a straight perspective. My gay friends seem to like the capital region a lot. Center Square in downtown Albany is probably the most gay-centric area (is that even a word?); but venturing out for leisure activities, you will be impressed by the number of gay-friendly towns just short drives from Schenectady. Great Barrington, MA; Burlington, VT; New Paltz, NY are just a few. The Catskills & Berkshires are very artsy havens & the restaurants are some of the best in the country.

Shaker Vet has a very good daycare/boarding facility. I would NOT recommend Pet Lodge. They are understaffed, and lazy. (Apologies to any Pet Lodge devotees, but will never go back.

Sorry no info on Yoga...I can barely get my tail to spin class!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area