Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2014, 11:02 PM

5 posts, read 6,827 times

Advertisements

I'm from NYC and I have an internship in Albany.
If I secure an apartment that is further away from Empire State Plaza, I may consider driving rather than taking public transportation.

Can someone describe the availability of on-street parking near Empire State Plaza during the summer weekdays?

I know certain areas such as Center Square are restricted to non-residents because of residential permits.

Should I just get a parking spot in a garage such as the Green/Hudson Garage or the Riverfront?
Are they overcrowded?
I see on their website that I can purchase a parking pass for the month of May (but I need them for June-August).

Any advice is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 09:47 AM

255 posts, read 487,971 times
Parking around the plaza directly is meter parking so you'd have to pay the meter every time you parked.

If you don't want to pay for meter parking I'd just pay for one if the garages here: Parking Garage Information - Albany Parking Authority

Old 05-06-2014, 11:52 AM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,194 times
Like hock41 said, the on street parking around the Plaza is mostly metered, and much of that is handicapped reserved. The parking in the residential areas is by permit. They ticket like crazy around here too. A lot of people park at the Times Union Center. You can sign up for monthly or just pay daily, it was $8 per day, not sure if it's gone up. There are elevators and escalators from the TU with covered walkways that lead up the hill to the Plaza.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:26 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,035,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
Like hock41 said, the on street parking around the Plaza is mostly metered, and much of that is handicapped reserved. The parking in the residential areas is by permit. They ticket like crazy around here too. A lot of people park at the Times Union Center. You can sign up for monthly or just pay daily, it was $8 per day, not sure if it's gone up. There are elevators and escalators from the TU with covered walkways that lead up the hill to the Plaza.
I also think this is a good idea because if there are events going on downtown that you'd like to attend, you are still fairly central to all of that. The free concerts at the Plaza & on the riverfront are usually really good.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:14 AM

I would also look to just live close to the Plaza as well. Then a plenty of apartments around where you can walk to work

Old 05-07-2014, 11:10 AM

334 posts, read 851,851 times
I can almost always find a spot at a 10 hour meter on Elk St. behind Albany Public Library (.25 for every 15 minutes). Those meters take credit cards, so you don't need to worry about quarters. However, that is several blocks from Empire State Plaza, so you might do just as well taking the bus or renting a spot.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:19 AM

5 posts, read 6,827 times
Thanks for the responses.

It's hard to find an apartment with a 3 month or month-to-month lease.
I might have to live further away from Empire State Plaza.
I am considering public transportation but it depends on where my apartment will be located. (time to travel, distance to bus stop)

Regarding Times Union, you can park there?
Would it be better to get a monthly pass at one of the ParkAlbany garages or Times Union?

Are there any sites that Albany dwellers frequent?
I know Rochester, NY has its own non-official wiki.
I have found alloveralbany.
Any other sites/forums besides Craigslist for Albany classifieds?

Old 05-08-2014, 07:34 AM

Because it's only for three months I'd look at subletting a place. Craigslist has a whole sublet section. I'd look there too.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:13 PM

334 posts, read 851,851 times
These options are probably way more than you want to spend as a summer intern, but thought I would throw them out there:

1) Harmony Mills in Cohoes has short-term furnished rentals. These are cool apartments in buildings that used to be old mills. You would need to drive or take a bus to Albany. Not sure how often the bus runs from there. There is not a heck of a lot to do within walking distance, but it's not far from downtown Albany.

2) The Morgan State House, just a couple of blocks from the Plaza, has long term rentals.

3) The Inn on South Lake has a long-term suite with a kitchen. It is in a quiet neighborhood, but close to a little strip with restaurants and pubs. Buses pass by often and it is also walkable to the Plaza, but will probably take you 20-30 minutes, depending on your walking speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area