Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 08:02 PM

93,239 posts, read 123,876,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyalltheway View Post
Hi,

Can you go into detail about the schools and safe neighborhoods? Budget for rent may be less than 1k a month due to salary. I have taken a civil service exam and was told the job will be in Albany. They may not have available NYC positions.
Perhaps look into Menands, which is a 1 school K-8 school district, that may be the most diverse suburban school/school district in Upstate NY. For high school, they have the option to go to either Borth Colonie's Shaker High, Watervliet High or Tech Valley High. It is located just north of Albany and out of the 3 options, Shaker would probably be the best choice and it is one of the more diverse suburban high schools in the area(about 20-25% non White).

Here is some info: Menands School District - Menands, NY
About Menands School - Menands School District, Menands, NY
Menands School - Public School
The Village of Menands
Menands, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Menands, NY - USA.comâ„¢
Menands, NY Population and Races - USA.comâ„¢

Shaker Senior High School - North Colonie Central Schools - Latham, NY
Shaker High School - Public School

//www.city-data.com/forum/alban...-albany-2.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 07:57 AM

233 posts, read 318,068 times
I would suggest looking into the Pine Hills neighborhood of Albany. Diverse, affordable, walkable, and safe. My mother does not drive...never has.. and gets around just fine! She walks a block to Madison Avenue which has a Price Chopper, movie theatre, bank, restaurants, coffee shops, Pine Hills Elem, and the area sits on the main bus routes for the city, which is perfect for commuting with public transportation. The only thing to be aware of, is there are areas/streets closer to some of the SUNY buildings (Washington ave) known to be heavy in college/student rentals- so that would be the areas I would steer clear of. More loud, and less family friendly.

Another neighborhood in Albany you may want to consider is Heidelberg/ New Scotland area. Much more residential/ single family homes (and split into apts) still in the city- less walkable- meaning the amenities may be a farther walk or a bus ride depending on what street you live on... but the schools Elem/middle Schools are good.

As a parent, these would be the 2 areas I would consider living in the City of Albany. Center square is nice... and close to the park... walkable...etc... but the cost is higher, harder to find parking, weekends/ nights will be busy!

Old 06-01-2015, 05:50 PM

292 posts, read 702,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Perhaps look into Menands, which is a 1 school K-8 school district, that may be the most diverse suburban school/school district in Upstate NY. For high school, they have the option to go to either Borth Colonie's Shaker High, Watervliet High or Tech Valley High. It is located just north of Albany and out of the 3 options, Shaker would probably be the best choice and it is one of the more diverse suburban high schools in the area(about 20-25% non White).

Here is some info: Menands School District - Menands, NY
About Menands School - Menands School District, Menands, NY
Menands School - Public School
The Village of Menands
Menands, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Menands, NY - USA.com™
Menands, NY Population and Races - USA.com™

Shaker Senior High School - North Colonie Central Schools - Latham, NY
Shaker High School - Public School

//www.city-data.com/forum/alban...-albany-2.html

Thanks, ckhthankgod! I am going to looking into the schools you listed. That's good to know.

Last edited by Nyalltheway; 06-01-2015 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 06-01-2015, 05:59 PM

292 posts, read 702,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mls012 View Post
I would suggest looking into the Pine Hills neighborhood of Albany. Diverse, affordable, walkable, and safe. My mother does not drive...never has.. and gets around just fine! She walks a block to Madison Avenue which has a Price Chopper, movie theatre, bank, restaurants, coffee shops, Pine Hills Elem, and the area sits on the main bus routes for the city, which is perfect for commuting with public transportation. The only thing to be aware of, is there are areas/streets closer to some of the SUNY buildings (Washington ave) known to be heavy in college/student rentals- so that would be the areas I would steer clear of. More loud, and less family friendly.

Another neighborhood in Albany you may want to consider is Heidelberg/ New Scotland area. Much more residential/ single family homes (and split into apts) still in the city- less walkable- meaning the amenities may be a farther walk or a bus ride depending on what street you live on... but the schools Elem/middle Schools are good.

As a parent, these would be the 2 areas I would consider living in the City of Albany. Center square is nice... and close to the park... walkable...etc... but the cost is higher, harder to find parking, weekends/ nights will be busy!

That's interesting, I actually saw that community; what do you think about Washington Square (would that be Center Square) and Arbor Hill?

I see, I see (with the SUNY school).

I really appreciate the information, mls012. I am writing everything down, lol. Yes, I notice the cost of living is a bit higher in those areas (the ones you stated) but trust me, the rent in Albany is waaaaaaaay cheaper than NYC. My lil and man I stay with my fam in our house which is great; I help with some bills but it would be nice to live on my own with my son. My fam is already not feeling us relocating and my mom is a bit worried about us being away from the family.

It's good to just have options. I am going to send my completed paperwork (application) via mail tomorrow (for the civil service job). I mean, I don't even know if I will get the job but we shall see. I am just keeping my options open.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:57 AM

Washington Square is Center Square. Arbor Hill is notably the worst area of the city, and has been since I can remember. Developers/ flippers (not sure who) are working on trying to revitalize some of that area by fixing the houses, but I wouldn't live there even if it was free... especially having children. It not a diverse community-low income aka gov housing, burned/boarded up row homes, schools are not good... and is really known as the "ghetto"of the city.

If I were in your shoes, I'd start searching the best school for my child in the area. Check out www.greatschools.com to get more info. Find your ideal school, then look for apt pricing within that neighborhood, then the commute to work. Albany also has charter schools, but I don't know much about them other than they are on a lottery basis... meaning there is no guarantee they will be chosen.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:

What about the Delaware Avenue area?

Old 06-02-2015, 08:21 AM

I thought about mentioning Delaware Ave...I know they are putting effort into revitalizing it and apparently has a pretty active community association to help with those efforts also. I didn't' list it because I can't think of a grocery store that you could walk to easily in that neighborhood, and I'm not sure about the school in that area. It's worth looking into too and would probably have the most affordable rent out of the neighborhoods already mentioned. Delaware Ave does have restaurants along the strip and a movie theatre which is great to have, a public library (I believe) and decent bus access.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:44 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,408,040 times
Savannah, GA? Camden, ME?

Old 06-02-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
I thought about mentioning Delaware Ave...I know they are putting effort into revitalizing it and apparently has a pretty active community association to help with those efforts also. I didn't' list it because I can't think of a grocery store that you could walk to easily in that neighborhood, and I'm not sure about the school in that area. It's worth looking into too and would probably have the most affordable rent out of the neighborhoods already mentioned. Delaware Ave does have restaurants along the strip and a movie theatre which is great to have, a public library (I believe) and decent bus access.
I also wonder if Whitehall is close enough to where the OP could go to either the Delaware Ave or Pine Hills?

Old 06-03-2015, 10:04 AM

245 posts, read 431,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Savannah, GA? Camden, ME?
"My family and I are thinking of moving to the Capital District from NYC"

Didn't realize the capital district was so big.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area