U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 08:59 PM

199 posts, read 484,344 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I live in California, and I have lived in Rochester, NY. Rochester was okay if you meet the right persons. I am deaf, and read lips in more than one language. Most of my encounters, there, were with some very poorly educated persons. I am currently a student. I wish to purchase a home. I wasn't ready to buy when I lived in NY, but I am now. Rochester was terribly segregated, is Albany as well? I've seen some places in Albany that may suit me as a permanent home. I am multiracial.

Thanks for the response......
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 05:38 AM

63,554 posts, read 89,029,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmanal View Post
Hi there,

I live in California, and I have lived in Rochester, NY. Rochester was okay if you meet the right persons. I am deaf, and read lips in more than one language. Most of my encounters, there, were with some very poorly educated persons. I am currently a student. I wish to purchase a home. I wasn't ready to buy when I lived in NY, but I am now. Rochester was terribly segregated, is Albany as well? I've seen some places in Albany that may suit me as a permanent home. I am multiracial.

Thanks for the response......
Look in the nicer city neighborhoods near a college/university in any Upstate NY city. There's usually at least one suburb in each area that would work too. In terms of suburbs, I'd say Colonie around/near the airport or the McKownville area of Guilderland near UAlbany are a couple that would/could work. Census Block Group 014608-1 in Albany County, New York

Census Tract 013703 in Albany County, New York

Menands would also work, along with maybe nicer parts of the smaller, blue collar cities like Watervliet, Cohoes and Rensselaer.

In Rochester, I would have suggested parts of Brighton, Henrietta, Irondequoit, Greece, Gates and Chili in terms of suburbs. For the city, the southern end of the 19th Ward, around East High School, around U of R/Strong Hospital, SouthWedge and maybe the 10th Ward/Maplewood into Charlotte area. Maybe Northland-Lyceum too.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-14-2014 at 05:50 AM..

Old 07-14-2014, 08:34 AM

Thanks ckhthankgod,

I loved Greece, NY., and lived in Maplewood. The wood trim in my unit was the best. Problems I saw in that area were an overwhelming desire for "status quo" among the African Americans, an extreme number of foreclosed homes, and an assumption that I was not very smart due to my deafness. Ha! I've traveled the world, and I read several languages fluently. Again, I read speech in more than one language. I found it to be the opposite of California. I loved the weather in Rochester--too hot in Cali. The culture in Rochester was not my cup of tea.

I was raised in the suburbs, but I love being in the city. I like coffee shops (I don't drink coffee), used book stores, vegetarian restaurants, and galleries. You will not find those amenities in suburbs. Suburbs usually offer better quality food markets, like Wegman's. I couldn't shop the supermarkets in Rochester, except the one Wegman's store (East End), and the co-op in SouthWedge. Maybe, I'm hoping that Albany, or the 'burbs is a step up from Rochester........

Old 07-14-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Thanks ckhthankgod,

I loved Greece, NY., and lived in Maplewood. The wood trim in my unit was the best. Problems I saw in that area were an overwhelming desire for "status quo" among the African Americans, an extreme number of foreclosed homes, and an assumption that I was not very smart due to my deafness. Ha! I've traveled the world, and I read several languages fluently. Again, I read speech in more than one language. I found it to be the opposite of California. I loved the weather in Rochester--too hot in Cali. The culture in Rochester was not my cup of tea.

I was raised in the suburbs, but I love being in the city. I like coffee shops (I don't drink coffee), used book stores, vegetarian restaurants, and galleries. You will not find those amenities in suburbs. Suburbs usually offer better quality food markets, like Wegman's. I couldn't shop the supermarkets in Rochester, except the one Wegman's store (East End), and the co-op in SouthWedge. Maybe, I'm hoping that Albany, or the 'burbs is a step up from Rochester........
It sounds like you would have liked the SE Quarter of the city of Rochester or parts of Brighton next to it. https://rocwiki.org/Southeast_Quadrant

https://rocwiki.org/Brighton

Old 07-14-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It sounds like you would have liked the SE Quarter of the city of Rochester or parts of Brighton next to it. https://rocwiki.org/Southeast_Quadrant

https://rocwiki.org/Brighton

I agree,

At the time I moved to Rochester, I was powerless to choose in which part of the city I wanted. Sort of the same issue now. The difference is that I will need an available property to buy, so I'm in a much better position at this time. I've looked at a few places in the area, one was in the center of the 19th Ward, one in Greece, one on the east side, north of the lettered streets. I know the 19th Ward has it's share of crime. Wanna see crime, go to Juarez, MX in 2008. I lived in Chihuahua, but visited Juarez a lot. I walked the streets with confidence back then. I will never forget the evening I walked from Brighton to my home, in Maplewood. Sounds nuts, but I just moved there. I liked the topography, the architecture, and the seasons, but I couldn't handle the culture of Rochester. It felt like the 1920s. I've lived in Cali too long to jump back into a somewhat backwards culture. I was chastised by the deaf center for having friends that speak non-English languages. Most of my friends speak Mandarin, Arabic, or Spanish. I'm not going to change any time soon. I feel, this xenophobia limits the deaf. I'm different, I like everyone. Honestly, I belong in the S.F. area, or Seattle, but I can't handle the home prices in those areas.

Should I return to the Empire State, I'd like to experience a different metro area.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I agree,

At the time I moved to Rochester, I was powerless to choose in which part of the city I wanted. Sort of the same issue now. The difference is that I will need an available property to buy, so I'm in a much better position at this time. I've looked at a few places in the area, one was in the center of the 19th Ward, one in Greece, one on the east side, north of the lettered streets. I know the 19th Ward has it's share of crime. Wanna see crime, go to Juarez, MX in 2008. I lived in Chihuahua, but visited Juarez a lot. I walked the streets with confidence back then. I will never forget the evening I walked from Brighton to my home, in Maplewood. Sounds nuts, but I just moved there. I liked the topography, the architecture, and the seasons, but I couldn't handle the culture of Rochester. It felt like the 1920s. I've lived in Cali too long to jump back into a somewhat backwards culture. I was chastised by the deaf center for having friends that speak non-English languages. Most of my friends speak Mandarin, Arabic, or Spanish. I'm not going to change any time soon. I feel, this xenophobia limits the deaf. I'm different, I like everyone. Honestly, I belong in the S.F. area, or Seattle, but I can't handle the home prices in those areas.

Should I return to the Empire State, I'd like to experience a different metro area.
Interesting.....I would think that the Albany area would be fine. Like I mentioned before, areas around a college/university and perhaps neighborhoods also known for attracting immigrants would work. This could got for the city or even suburbs. So, it may just be a matter of knowing where to look.

Not to sidetrack the thread, but Ithaca may also be a city/area to consider due being a diverse city with a liberal vibe and that has a high Asian population. So, it is similar to those bigger areas you mentioned, but on a much smaller scale.

An area like Upper Union in Schenectady into Old Niskayuna may be an area to look into. That area of Menands I posted earlier may be a good fit too.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:41 AM

I've read (blogs) that Ithaca is New York's version of Berkeley, CA. UC/Berkley rules in that city. I am comfortable in most college towns. It is just a matter of finding a house in one of those cities that is in my price range. So far, I've not seen a place in Ithaca priced right for me, but I have a few more months to look. The stock of available homes can change daily. One thing for sure, I will not be comfortable in a conservative state's college town, such as Austin, TX.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:07 PM

63 posts, read 131,389 times
Albany, like most U.S. cities, does have some racial division that exactly corresponds with housing/rental prices. It's very sad. That being said, I lived in the Albany area for many years, and I never saw any problems with multi-racial people being accepted in middle-class or upper middle-class neighborhoods, restaurants, cafes, etc. I saw plenty of bi-racial couples in middle class areas, nobody giving them a second glance. I think for its size, Albany is a very cosmopolitan town, partly because it's the state capitol, and partly because it's not far from NYC (2 1/2 hrs by train). You mentioned coffee shops, book stores, etc - you'll find all of these right in Albany, and I think you'll find a very cosmopolitan and open-minded community that goes along with it. Check out Lark St. - awesome street with lots of cute shops, restaurants, cafes... and a Ben & Jerry's...

Old 08-03-2014, 07:39 PM

2 posts, read 4,530 times
Do you sign? Having lived in both Albany and Rochester, the ASL community and Deaf support (open captioned movie showtimes and the like) was much stronger in Rochester. On the other hand, the Albany area as a whole I've found to be much less segregated racially than Rochester.

The big difference is that Rochester has the National Technical Institute of the Deaf as part of the Rochester Institute of Technology, which attracts a whole lot of Deaf students to the area, and many of them stay put after they graduate. Albany has no serious Deaf college options (other than the learning accommodations all colleges provide), and no dedicated Deaf K-12 options like the Rochester School for the Deaf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area