U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2007, 11:30 PM

306 posts, read 1,547,801 times

Advertisements

Second half of our vacation will be near Saratoga Springs.

For vacation activities:
I'm sure we'll have lots to do here, but any special suggestions? (Again, our two young boys--4 and 2 by then--will be with us. They're happy throwing stones into water for hours on end, but some variety would be good, too.) Given how popular the area is for summer vacationing, what congested/overly touristy things and/or places should we avoid? We prefer low-key to long lines for supposed thrills.

As a possible place to move to:
Now, I *know* that Saratoga Springs will likely be too pricey to buy in. So--what are cozy/stately/more affordable places near (say, within 30 minutes) Saratoga Springs with that great upstate NY character? (I.e., no serious sprawl, over-modernization, etc. We'd rather have a place that's a lot "too quiet" to a place that's too frantic.)

What area or places should we NOT consider as possible move-to places, and why?

(On a related note, why are Glens Falls' home prices so cheap? Is the city that run-down/decaying?)

About other, somewhat similar options:
Are there mini- or proto-Saratoga Springs-type places a county or hour so elsewhere? By this I don't mean a similarly wealthy town--I know that Saratoga Springs is a world unto itself in this regard--but rather a town/village/small city with great old architecture, a still-alive downtown, nearby water, low crime, decent schools, that good upstate ethic and feel?

Job opportunities:
Anyone have any sense of any pending hiring for teaching jobs in and around Saratoga Springs? The demographic data suggests a good bit of building and growth in the area. Are these mainly vacation homes, or is the population, and with it shcool-age kids, growing too?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 06:47 AM

155 posts, read 811,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeward bound View Post

For vacation activities:
I'm sure we'll have lots to do here, but any special suggestions? (Again, our two young boys--4 and 2 by then--will be with us. They're happy throwing stones into water for hours on end, but some variety would be good, too.) Given how popular the area is for summer vacationing, what congested/overly touristy things and/or places should we avoid? We prefer low-key to long lines for supposed thrills.

Now, I *know* that Saratoga Springs will likely be too pricey to buy in. So--what are cozy/stately/more affordable places near (say, within 30 minutes) Saratoga Springs with that great upstate NY character? (I.e., no serious sprawl, over-modernization, etc. We'd rather have a place that's a lot "too quiet" to a place that's too frantic.)

What area or places should we NOT consider as possible move-to places, and why?

(On a related note, why are Glens Falls' home prices so cheap? Is the city that run-down/decaying?)

Are there mini- or proto-Saratoga Springs-type places a county or hour so elsewhere? By this I don't mean a similarly wealthy town--I know that Saratoga Springs is a world unto itself in this regard--but rather a town/village/small city with great old architecture, a still-alive downtown, nearby water, low crime, decent schools, that good upstate ethic and feel?

Job opportunities:
Anyone have any sense of any pending hiring for teaching jobs in and around Saratoga Springs? The demographic data suggests a good bit of building and growth in the area. Are these mainly vacation homes, or is the population, and with it shcool-age kids, growing too?

Thanks!
For possible place to move: Glen Falls is definitely worth considering if you don't have to commute to Albany. Ballston Spa is another.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:08 AM

7,472 posts, read 14,805,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeward bound View Post

Some nice areas around Saratoga: Schuylerville (good schools), Gansevoort, Northunderland, Queensbury.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:54 AM

Default Vacationing Saratoga

For vacationing ideas in the area go to www.saratoga.com

Old 12-21-2007, 06:41 AM

155 posts, read 811,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Some nice areas around Saratoga: Schuylerville (good schools), Gansevoort, Northunderland, Queensbury.
Do any of these places have an actual downtown or village square?

Old 12-22-2007, 10:54 AM

3 posts, read 9,034 times
Schuylerville is good, so is Ballston Spa... both areas mentioned in earlier posts.

Queensbury's nice too, and you would be about 20 minutes from Saratoga Springs, straight down the Interstate (87).

Old 12-24-2007, 12:18 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,984,051 times
I don't know the specifics of your situation, but Saratoga Springs might be feasible for you. I am a seasonal resident there and the town is very diverse as far as ownership -- you can get condo's for $1mm, row houses for $600k to $750k, new homes for under $500k, condo's for $500k, and older homes for $250k. Ownership in Saratoga Springs spans the entire spectrum. There is a ton there -- look around.

Specfically, look at the West Side -- the southern end of town has been turning around for quite some time now, but the northern end of town hasn't yet turned. The current market will slow or stall that, but you can get some good value if you are in for the long haul. For example, you might want to check out Clinton Street, north of Van Dam. Right around the corner, on State (I think) there was a house where the front was on State, and the back was on Pine Alley. The house needed work and was an older home but it seemed like it had a lot of potential. I think the house sold for around $180k.

I would also check out the East side -- north of Lake St. The homes are more expensive but there is a wide range of offerings.

If you need a good real estate broker, let me know. I've worked with several in that area. Good luck.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:07 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,665,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rug city View Post
Do any of these places have an actual downtown or village square?
did you find out which of these towns has a decent city center that's longer than a block and has more than a pool hall an a greasy spoon type eatery?

Old 08-27-2008, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
did you find out which of these towns has a decent city center that's longer than a block and has more than a pool hall an a greasy spoon type eatery?
The villages surrounding Saratoga Springs have minimal city centers, but Saratoga certainly is a beautiful downtown area and within easy distance of any of the outlying villages.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:15 PM

585 posts, read 2,111,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
Ballston Spa has more than a greasy spoon and a pool hall in the downtown area: 2 deli's, a wine bistro, a southwestern restaurant, 4 additonal restaurants (with bars), 1 coffee shop, a tea bar (with great sandwiches btw), a new bakery, a new tavern going in, and 1 coffee shop.

Oh, and don't forget the tattoo parlor and mini hotdog stand

Schuylerville is smaller but has a couple of good art galleries and a mighty fine mexican restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area