Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 06:50 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,503,590 times

Advertisements

I have commuted from my sister's in Troy to one of my company's regional offices in Albany (off Wolf Rd) quite a few times... never took me more than 15min during rush hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 07:05 AM

308 posts, read 503,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
I have commuted from my sister's in Troy to one of my company's regional offices in Albany (off Wolf Rd) quite a few times... never took me more than 15min during rush hour.
Very reasonable commute time. Thanks for the input!

Old 09-05-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecakecake View Post
Very reasonable commute time. Thanks for the input!
No prob! I'm very familiar with Troy, so feel free to ask any questions. My sister has lived there for over 10 years and lives right in downtown. Actually heading up there next month.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
No prob! I'm very familiar with Troy, so feel free to ask any questions. My sister has lived there for over 10 years and lives right in downtown. Actually heading up there next month.
Oh no kidding? Has she lived at the same place in downtown for over 10 years or she's lived in a bunch of different Troy sections? It's so hard for me to determine which section is best but yeah I do like the downtown areas. Rent prices are a bit high though for me unfortunately.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Oh no kidding? Has she lived at the same place in downtown for over 10 years or she's lived in a bunch of different Troy sections? It's so hard for me to determine which section is best but yeah I do like the downtown areas. Rent prices are a bit high though for me unfortunately.
She's been at a few different locations. Her current place about 3 or 4 years. Before that she was just up the hill a little bit on Congress St, still walking distance to downtown. A few other places, but always within walking distance of the downtown section. Definitely stay south of Hoosick St. The best spot, in my opinion, is anywhere south of Hoosick, north of the canal, and west of RPI (bottom of the hill). Stay away from anything labelled South Troy. Rents vary greatly, so you should be able to find something. My sister and her fiance have a 4 bedroom in a brownstone for around $900 I think. Another one of our friends has a 2 bedroom around the corner and it's around $500.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
She's been at a few different locations. Her current place about 3 or 4 years. Before that she was just up the hill a little bit on Congress St, still walking distance to downtown. A few other places, but always within walking distance of the downtown section. Definitely stay south of Hoosick St. The best spot, in my opinion, is anywhere south of Hoosick, north of the canal, and west of RPI (bottom of the hill). Stay away from anything labelled South Troy. Rents vary greatly, so you should be able to find something. My sister and her fiance have a 4 bedroom in a brownstone for around $900 I think. Another one of our friends has a 2 bedroom around the corner and it's around $500.
Thanks for the streets and location advice. That helps a lot!

4 bedroom brownstone for $900?! That's exactly what I want! I am looking for a brownstone and I don't even need that much space. A one bedroom is all I am looking for but I would sign a lease for a bigger place as long as the price is below $1K. I need to do better apartment searching.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the streets and location advice. That helps a lot!

4 bedroom brownstone for $900?! That's exactly what I want! I am looking for a brownstone and I don't even need that much space. A one bedroom is all I am looking for but I would sign a lease for a bigger place as long as the price is below $1K. I need to do better apartment searching.
Glad to help!

Oh yeah, you can def find something for under $1K. Try looking on Hotpads.com or Padmapper.com - they pull from several websites and put it on a map for you, so it's easier to quickly see what neighborhood areas you're looking at.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Glad to help!

Oh yeah, you can def find something for under $1K. Try looking on Hotpads.com or Padmapper.com - they pull from several websites and put it on a map for you, so it's easier to quickly see what neighborhood areas you're looking at.
Good stuff. I haven't use hotpads or padmapper yet. I already found a nice 2 bed 1 bath in a rowhouse in a decent area for $800! So excited. I'll keep you guys posted when I finalize a place...if anyone cares that much lol.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Good stuff. I haven't use hotpads or padmapper yet. I already found a nice 2 bed 1 bath in a rowhouse in a decent area for $800! So excited. I'll keep you guys posted when I finalize a place...if anyone cares that much lol.
Awesome, hope it works out!! If you haven't been there yet, check out The Ruck

Old 09-06-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Awesome, hope it works out!! If you haven't been there yet, check out The Ruck
Menu looks good and prices look great too! Will visit for sure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area