U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2014, 07:42 PM

102 posts, read 144,658 times

Advertisements

It's a good possibility we may be considering re locating to the Greater Albany/Saratoga area within the coming year,(maybe sooner..) We have some familiarity with NY, in terms of the boroughs, and know a bit about lower NY State, due to some personal knowledge, and various trips over the years.

We've been in Northern NJ for awhile now, and have watched the state freeze and fall behind in terms of any kind of positive gain with the cost of living rate. ( Some other states may make gains, but this state, supposedly "gaining" from being near NYC has really not been much of a help with decent job options.) Add to this an already oppressive cost of living and a family's presented with a real need to
..what did they say in that Jane Austen film? Retrench..

Have any of you re located from Northern New Jersey or the NYC area? If so, have any of you made that move in the last 5-10 years?

What was your experience?

How did you find the economy in the Greater Albany area?

What would you say distinguished that area from NJ (for any NJ transplants?), and Northern NJ in particular?

How would you compare the cost of living?
Are jobs to be had? (Other than service sector jobs..)
In other words,
do you find your experience to be on par with your last location?

Equal?
Greater?

Good, bad?

This move is a very big deal and comes after a lot of reflection and time.
So we need as much helpful feedback as possible.

btw, are there any Trader Joe's up there? (Just wondering... :^) )

And are the taxes as bad as some say, compared to, say Northern NJ?

Those are some of our initial questions..
There could be more..

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by hears_where_the_story; 09-22-2014 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: edit
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 05:19 AM

308 posts, read 453,216 times
Taxes aren't gonna be as bad as northern NJ. Pretty sure that's like the most expensive area in the northeast next to the NYC area.

But as far as jobs go...good luck. If you're in the healthcare field there are probably good employer options for you.

And yeah I think there's a Trader Joe's in Colonie.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:45 AM

70,727 posts, read 97,655,643 times
There are quite a few tech companies/jobs in the area as well. There's some manufacturing and with many colleges/universities in the area, you can look there as well. Its average annual pay is on par with areas like Portland OR, Oxnard CA, Houston, Detroit and Atlanta. Its educational attainment is around 20th out of the top 100 metros as well. Saratoga County, another county in the metro, is/has been one of the fastest growing counties in the state in recent years.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:51 PM

Default thank you, so are you saying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecakecake View Post
Taxes aren't gonna be as bad as northern NJ. Pretty sure that's like the most expensive area in the northeast next to the NYC area.

But as far as jobs go...good luck. If you're in the healthcare field there are probably good employer options for you.

And yeah I think there's a Trader Joe's in Colonie.
Thank you
So, are you saying the economy is not that great in Albany, in terms of jobs generally?

"good luck" is a bit vague..

can you provide a little more clarity?

Thanks again..

Old 09-23-2014, 07:53 PM

Default thank you, yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There are quite a few tech companies/jobs in the area as well. There's some manufacturing and with many colleges/universities in the area, you can look there as well. Its average annual pay is on par with areas like Portland OR, Oxnard CA, Houston, Detroit and Atlanta. Its educational attainment is around 20th out of the top 100 metros as well. Saratoga County, another county in the metro, is/has been one of the fastest growing counties in the state in recent years.
Thank you, yes..heard this.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:28 PM

334 posts, read 781,600 times
Real estate is amazingly lower here. Tax rates might be higher in some communities, but because real estate is so much cheaper, you will still be paying less in taxes.

The jobs thing really depends on what you do. The job growth is decent for Upstate NY, but NYS in general does not have as favorable job growth as many other states. What fields are you in? K-12 teaching is a non-starter in most subject areas. There have been many cuts and layoffs lately, partially due to NYS's inequitable and byzantine funding formula. The State is starting to hire again, but very slowly, so I wouldn't move expecting to get a state job quickly. I do know of several non-profits that have had surprisingly few applicants in recent months for jobs that require a little bit of management experience and/or communication skills, so if you are good at those sorts of things you might find a job fairly easily. If you are a good psychotherapist, especially in the area of child or adolescent medicine, you could probably get a job in 2 seconds.

I know people with older homes have been having more difficulty finding contractors with skills to deal with plaster, stained glass, non-standard cabinets, etc. as people with those skills are retiring in droves and no one is there to replace them. If you have specialized skills in these areas, you will only need to figure out how to get your first few clients. After that, you will likely have more jobs than you know what to do with. There are lots of people in Albany with older homes who want to keep them historically accurate but can't find anyone to do the work.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:57 AM

308 posts, read 453,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hears_where_the_story View Post
Thank you
So, are you saying the economy is not that great in Albany, in terms of jobs generally?

"good luck" is a bit vague..

can you provide a little more clarity?

Thanks again..
Upstate NY hasn't done so well in terms of job growth. You will definitely want to make sure you get a job lined up before you move. Depending on your field, it could be different for you though. Have you started looking at job listings?

Old 09-24-2014, 06:01 AM

70,727 posts, read 97,655,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecakecake View Post
Upstate NY hasn't done so well in terms of job growth. You will definitely want to make sure you get a job lined up before you move. Depending on your field, it could be different for you though. Have you started looking at job listings?
To be fair, except for a couple of areas, most metros have actually added jobs over the past year. You can look here, OP: Major Areas, Current Employment Estimates - New York State Department of Labor

Find a Job - New York State Department of Labor

Old 09-24-2014, 10:32 AM
Q44

895 posts, read 897,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hears_where_the_story View Post
It's a good possibility we may be considering re locating to the Greater Albany/Saratoga area within the coming year,(maybe sooner..) We have some familiarity with NY, in terms of the boroughs, and know a bit about lower NY State, due to some personal knowledge, and various trips over the years.

We've been in Northern NJ for awhile now, and have watched the state freeze and fall behind in terms of any kind of positive gain with the cost of living rate. ( Some other states may make gains, but this state, supposedly "gaining" from being near NYC has really not been much of a help with decent job options.) Add to this an already oppressive cost of living and a family's presented with a real need to
..what did they say in that Jane Austen film? Retrench..

Have any of you re located from Northern New Jersey or the NYC area? If so, have any of you made that move in the last 5-10 years?

What was your experience?

How did you find the economy in the Greater Albany area?

What would you say distinguished that area from NJ (for any NJ transplants?), and Northern NJ in particular?

How would you compare the cost of living?
Are jobs to be had? (Other than service sector jobs..)
In other words,
do you find your experience to be on par with your last location?

Equal?
Greater?

Good, bad?

This move is a very big deal and comes after a lot of reflection and time.
So we need as much helpful feedback as possible.

btw, are there any Trader Joe's up there? (Just wondering... :^) )

And are the taxes as bad as some say, compared to, say Northern NJ?

Those are some of our initial questions..
There could be more..

Thanks in advance!
I moved up here a little over a decade ago from Long Island. I'd consider the LI and Northern NJ experience to be comparable. Especially since I commuted in to NYC every day for my job.

I'll give you my spin on your questions. The experience? The experience has been great for me because I transferred within the same company and brought my NYC job and my NYC salary with me.
I have a significantly shorter commute - try about 80% shorter and I have more time for myself and family.

The Albany economy? I've seen nothing to indicate an increase of any kind in the economy for this area. And I deal directly with a lot of businesses. The economy and jobs revolve around the government sector, the health field due to several large excellent hospitals and some Tech Valley industries. First question you need to ask is are you qualified for a job in any of these fields? If being near NYC hasn't been helpful in landing a good job . . . kinda have to wonder what you think you might get up here.

Cost of living is basically the same for things like food, cable, cell, etc. Houses cost less, but taxes are no bargain. I have co-workers who live in the city and pay over $6K for property/school tax. I pay over $8K about 20 miles outside the city and if you want one of the better school districts you can easily be over $10K.

Again, I transferred with a job in place, this is not a move I would have made based on any perceived economic boom in this area. I moved in part as a reaction to 9/11. I wanted a slower pace and less of a commute than I had downstate. I really don't see myself staying here in retirement and my kids aren't looking to come back here after college.

There is a Trader Joe's on Wolf Rd in Colonie, just past the Colonie Mall. There's a Whole Foods Market right at the mall now too. Good Luck, I strongly suggest you visit before you make a move.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:00 AM
Q44

895 posts, read 897,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There are Tech Companies in the area, not sure I would say "quite a few". The related jobs require a certain level of education and specific skill set. I deal with most of them in my work. There's some manufacturing but I don't know that they're hiring and I've seen several companies pull up stakes in the area. Yes, there are several colleges in the area but the area will never be confused with Boston or Philly as a college town. Outside of SUNY Albany (right down the road from my office) the other colleges are small, with enrollments of a couple thousand or less, Siena, St Rose, Sage, HVCC and Skidmore? Besides I'm not sure how these colleges lead to jobs for people moving in to the area? 'Average' annual pay is a tricky figure to throw around when there are enough people in the Health and Technology fields and add in the skew from the government agaencies. There are plenty of people not making that kind of money. Not to say you can't live in the area on a more modest salary, just don't think the higher average salaries are across the board.

On the Saratoga County 'fastest growing counties' thing. From your own links that you post, growth has slowed down in Saratoga, increasing less than 2% since 2010. If you look at the counties around Saratoga - Warren, Washington, Herkimer, Fulton, Montgomery . . . they've all seen a decrease in population. If people are just moving from one county to the next it means nothing for the vitality of the area. If anything the growth in Saratoga previously had more to do with the housing boom of 2000-2007. It's a beautiful area but there's no surging population or economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area