Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 04:51 PM

2 posts, read 20,491 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've done some searches, but been unable to find the information I am looking for. I'm considering moving to the Albany area from Austin, TX for GlobalFoundries (in Luther Forest Technology Campus at Malta). I am considering living in downtown Albany and commuting to Malta. I see a lot of people complaining about the commute into Albany, but what about the reverse commute? Are there any public transportation options from downtown Albany to Malta? (It seems there used to be a bus 540, but it no longer runs as far as I can tell.)

Based on what I have read in these forums, I also have questions about good places to live in the area. I am in my early 30s, single, and like to live in an area where night-time entertainment is within walking/cycling distance. I'm also progressive and alternative in my tastes and interests. I enjoy such things as craft beers, cafe culture, CSAs, farmers markets, etc.

I think that the Lark St. area might be best for me. Are there other interesting areas that anyone might be able to recommend? Some people mentioned that Saratoga has a good night life, but I think it sounds a bit small for my tastes. I would love it if anyone offer an opinion or experiences on Saratoga too, since it definitely looks like an easy commute from there to Malta.

As far as expenses, I'm considering that a 2 BR apartment might run $750-1000 / month.

I thank you in advance for you insight and help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 05:37 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx2ny View Post
Hello,

I've done some searches, but been unable to find the information I am looking for. I'm considering moving to the Albany area from Austin, TX for GlobalFoundries (in Luther Forest Technology Campus at Malta). I am considering living in downtown Albany and commuting to Malta. I see a lot of people complaining about the commute into Albany, but what about the reverse commute? Are there any public transportation options from downtown Albany to Malta? (It seems there used to be a bus 540, but it no longer runs as far as I can tell.)

Based on what I have read in these forums, I also have questions about good places to live in the area. I am in my early 30s, single, and like to live in an area where night-time entertainment is within walking/cycling distance. I'm also progressive and alternative in my tastes and interests. I enjoy such things as craft beers, cafe culture, CSAs, farmers markets, etc.

I think that the Lark St. area might be best for me. Are there other interesting areas that anyone might be able to recommend? Some people mentioned that Saratoga has a good night life, but I think it sounds a bit small for my tastes. I would love it if anyone offer an opinion or experiences on Saratoga too, since it definitely looks like an easy commute from there to Malta.

As far as expenses, I'm considering that a 2 BR apartment might run $750-1000 / month.

Besides those two options, maybe the Upper Union area of Schenectady would be a good choice too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULxZ247bex4

Upper Union Street Business Improvement District|Upper Union Street Business Improvement District

In Troy, there's Downtown: Historic Downtown Neighborhood Troy NY (http://www.troyny.gov/neighborhoods/historicdowntown.html - broken link)

and the Hillside area of the Hill neighborhood: Hillside Neighborhood Troy NY (http://www.troyny.gov/neighborhoods/hillside.html - broken link)

Cohoes is an up and coming small city: City of Cohoes, NY - City of Cohoes, NY

Saratoga Springs actually has a very good nightlife and culture for it's size: Downtown Saratoga Springs - Discover It Again And Again , http://www.saratoga.com/HotSpot_DowntownSaratoga.cfm

Old 12-28-2009, 07:32 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
The reverse commute isn't terrible, but I'm not sure I'd want to do it every day. I don't think there is any commuter bus that will take you into Luther Forest.

Frankly I wouldn't want to live in Schenectady. I lived there for about three months (granted it was years ago) and that was more than long enough for me.

I'd look at Saratoga Springs or maybe even Scotia.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:07 AM

585 posts, read 2,222,652 times
The reverse commute shouldn't be bad at all. A commute shouldn't take much longer than 30 min. Saratoga is a beautiful town with an extremely vibrant nightlife but it sounds like you'd be happier in a place like Albany. The thing I didn't like about Saratoga is that the music scene is mostly cover band and a lot of the arts are horseracing related. Saratoga is also a little more conservative and somewhat less "alternative". It's a tourist town that tries to attract folks with money, thus the scene reflects that.

Even with that assessment, if I had to choose which place to live if I worked in Malta, I'd definitely choose Saratoga if I could afford it. It has SPAC and Cafe Lena for good original live music, there are a couple of really good beer bars and coffee shops, and it's sooooooo close to Malta.

You might want to look into downtown Troy as well. They have growing art scene, RPI is there, and they have an awesome brewpub. It has a more of a rundown vibe to it than Albany though and is a lot smaller.

Here's the main entertainment rag for the area:

http://www.metroland.net/

Last edited by Rumblebelly; 12-29-2009 at 07:20 AM..

Old 12-29-2009, 09:03 AM

I was thinking downtown Troy as well, but that still makes me cringe. How about Green Island or Watervliet--or even Lansingburg? They are very close to Troy, and it's easy to pick up Route 7 to the Northway from there. Or in all honesty, you can take 32 up through Cohoes and Waterford--it opens up pretty wide from there until you get into Mechanicville, and then you can cut over 67 and it pretty much takes you right to Luther Forest.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:39 PM

50 posts, read 149,938 times
I am in my mid-20s, just finishing up law school in Albany and have lived in Malta for most of my life, so I hope I can help here! No, the reverse commute is not bad at all (unless there is construction going North on 87, which they sometimes do in the summer)- it will probably take you 30-45 minutes, depending how deep into Albany you decide to live. The further from the highway you are, the more time it will take. My school is at the corner of New Scotland Ave and Holland Ave (if you have mapquest handy) and it can take me 10-20 minutes to get from the highway to that location because of the lights. So there is a little perspective.

In regards to nightlife, Lark Street IS fun. However, after doing Lark for 3 yrs, it is a little boring. Also, unless you live in that particular area, I would not want to walk to Lark St. Albany has good and bad parts, which run block-by-block. Getting to other parts of town (like Pearl Street) will require taking a cab. Lark St does have that alternative feel to it, so you may like it in that respect.

In regards to Saratoga- I think anyone in the Capital District would rather live there. I feel totally safe walking anywhere in the dark there. That does not mean its boring- there are a lot of bars to choose from and great food. There is a brewery- Saratoga Brewery (also one in Albany- Albany Pump Station- far from Lark St.) and a few different types of bars and pubs. Also, there are many cafes on the main drag, including one- Mrs. London's, which a couple from Sweden told me was very akin to a European cafe. Also there is a farmer's market in the summer. Oh, and commute from Saratoga to Malta is about 10 minutes.

Good luck and I hope everything works out!

Old 12-29-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnickles85 View Post
In regards to nightlife, Lark Street IS fun. However, after doing Lark for 3 yrs, it is a little boring. Also, unless you live in that particular area, I would not want to walk to Lark St. Albany has good and bad parts, which run block-by-block. Getting to other parts of town (like Pearl Street) will require taking a cab. Lark St does have that alternative feel to it, so you may like it in that respect.
I used to live 2 1/2 blocks from Lark Street (Morris and Knox), and it was CRAPPY neighborhood, not someplace you'd walk alone late at night--especially if you had a few first. That's the problem with that area, you go half a block in the wrong direction, and it goes downhill fast.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:39 PM

2 posts, read 20,491 times
Wow, thanks to everyone for the thoughtful responses. It is very encouraging! I certainly see a lot of options, and strong options to stay in Saratoga Springs, Troy (Hillside), or on/near Lark St. I am strongly motivated by the neighborhood description from Troy's city web site: "With its many avid gardeners, a very diverse population and its easy access to services, it is quickly becoming home to many advocates of the New Urbanism and Voluntary Simplicity movements." It sounds like I may find some kindred spirits in the Albany area.

I'll make a scouting trip to the area this spring and can't wait to check out all the options!

Old 12-29-2009, 07:21 PM

585 posts, read 2,222,652 times
If you visit, you'll probably find Saratoga to be the most appealing place by far in the area. I lived in Fort Collins, CO for 10 years and Saratoga Springs actually "looks" nicer and all of the fun stuff is relatively distilled in a centralized area (just like Fort Collins which is why we were attracted to Saratoga Springs in the first place....)

Albany is rather scattered with pockets of not so appealing areas in between. Lark Street is nice but it's just one street surrounded by residential row houses. You also have Pearl Street and Pine Hills where Mahars is but all three areas are pretty far apart.

Troy could be really cool down the road. Lot's of great architecture and river frontage, but it's surrounded by a lot of vacant and run down areas. River Street is really great though. A large and respected brewpub, another nice bar, and an adventurous and very good Mexican restaurant all right next to each other. BUT it's a little isolated from residential areas. I recall downtown Troy having one large coffee shop, a couple of other decent bars but several art galleries (more than I expected from a city like that). It has an aesthetic quality that Albany and Schenectady (definitely) don't have.

When I visited Albany-Troy-Schenectady for the first time 3 years ago, I was a little taken back. You being from Austin, I'm interested in hearing what your impression will be of those three cities and as well your impression of Saratoga Springs.

Last edited by Rumblebelly; 12-29-2009 at 07:31 PM..

Old 12-30-2009, 03:24 PM

4 posts, read 15,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx2ny View Post
Hello,

Well I'm happy to know that at least ONE other person from the Austin area will be making the move to NY...We're thinking of the move also for GF. It's a LOOONG way from Texas, but reading more and more on here is making me feel a little more comfortable with it.
Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area