Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 12:05 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,821,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not if her children are important in regards to services and want to pay those higher property taxes in Rockingham or Hillsbourough counties in order to just be close to Boston and a beach. Again, if you work in MA, you pay that state income taxes. This doesn't include the commute, especially for a single mother with a child with special needs. It is 9% sales tax for restaurants in NH, which means that it isn't completely sales tax free. You also have income tax on investments in NH. 20% of NH's workforce pays income tax to adjacent states, because that is the amount of the workforce that works outside of the state. https://m.facebook.com/freetalklive/...51613515759072

Boston and NYC are only about a couple of hours or so away. They have 3 sets of mountains to go to near the Capital District. You can go to Lake George, Saratoga Springs and other quaint communities nearby. Out of the major Upstate NY areas, the A-S-T area has thevhighest average annual salary and is only second to the Ithaca area in that regard. Median home prices are lower in the Albany area than NH. So, there are PR's to the Capital District as well.
Once again, she's not paying higher property taxes in Rockingham or Hillsborough counties. The taxes will be about the same or less. So, what's the point? It sounds like she wants a change of scenery, its not like Upstate NY schools are going to offer services that NH doesn't have. NH is not a backwater area. I think its time to realize that Upstate NY doesn't corner the market on good schools in this country like you'd like to believe.

The Capitol Region has its positives but IMO you're not going to hold a candle to the QOL in Southern NH. You can commute to Boston from NH if you choose to, but you cannot commute to Boston or NYC from the Capitol Region. Boston is on the list of the top 25 cities to find a job, nowhere in NY is.

Its so like you to point out that NH has a 9% sales tax on prepared foods. As if NY doesn't have 1/4% less, and this could be critical for someone making a decision on where to move?

NH also has different soil types, so there's that too. Can't build skyscrapers as easy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 12:17 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Once again, she's not paying higher property taxes in Rockingham or Hillsborough counties. The taxes will be about the same or less. So, what's the point? It sounds like she wants a change of scenery, its not like Upstate NY schools are going to offer services that NH doesn't have. NH is not a backwater area. I think its time to realize that Upstate NY doesn't corner the market on good schools in this country like you'd like to believe.

The Capitol Region has its positives but IMO you're not going to hold a candle to the QOL in Southern NH. You can commute to Boston from NH if you choose to, but you cannot commute to Boston or NYC from the Capitol Region. Boston is on the list of the top 25 cities to find a job, nowhere in NY is.

Its so like you to point out that NH has a 9% sales tax on prepared foods. As if NY doesn't have 1/4% less, and this could be critical for someone making a decision on where to move?

NH also has different soil types, so there's that too. Can't build skyscrapers as easy
Property taxes are higher given the rates and median home prices, especially considering that those counties have higher property taxes within the state. Overall COL is lower in the Albany area as well: http://online.wsj.com/public/resourc...s/download.pdf

You seem to forget that I have children with special needs and I didn't say that Upstate NY cornered the market in terms of good schools. Keep in mind that NY was suggested to her. So, that seems to indicate that the services she needs aren't available in the current location.

Your QOL claim is an opinion and you keep forgetting that a job in MA means income taxes going to that state. So, you end up paying income taxes with that scenario. It is plain and simple. Add the commute/traffic to that as well and this is if the OP lives in Southern NH.

So, it isn't cut and dry when you consider many factors.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Property taxes are higher given the rates and median home prices, especially considering that those counties have higher property taxes within the state. Overall COL is lower in the Albany area as well: http://online.wsj.com/public/resourc...s/download.pdf

You seem to forget that I have children with special needs and I didn't say that Upstate NY cornered the market in terms of good schools. Keep in mind that NY was suggested to her. So, that seems to indicate that the services she needs aren't available in the current location.

Your QOL claim is an opinion and you keep forgetting that a job in MA means income taxes going to that state. So, you end up paying income taxes with that scenario. It is plain and simple. Add the commute/traffic to that as well and this is if the OP lives in Southern NH.

So, it isn't cut and dry when you consider many factors.
First of all, I didn't know that you had special needs children and I'm certainly not making this personal. That aside, the QOL claim is not an opinion:

The 10 States With the Best Quality of Life - 24/7 Wall St.

OECD says N.H.’s quality of life is tops in U.S. - New Hampshire Business Review - October 17 2014

America's Best States To Live In: CNBC

You won't catch me living in NH due to the cold, but if I had to live somewhere in the Northeast, that would be it for sure.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:52 PM

OP, in terms of jobs, you may be interested in some of the institutions on these websites: Locate Colleges | NY Colleges

Employment Opportunities - SUNY

Hospital: Find by County or Region

Have you looked at this guide, by the way?: Apartments-Home - Apartments in Albany NY - The Renters Gudie

Old 05-21-2015, 01:00 PM

2 bedrooms in the most vibrant part of the Capitol Region, $2485. More than New Jersey prices. New Hampshire will be at those prices in 10 years. NC will be at those prices in 25 years.

Market Center Apartments at Railroad Place - Saratoga, NY - Apartments in Albany NY - The Renters Gudie

Old 05-21-2015, 06:35 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,407,124 times
Quote:

There has been some revitalization occurring in Albany, Schenectady and Troy as well.
I see that. Isn't Lark Street "the vibrant heart of Albany, the Capital of New York State." www.larkstreet.org

Lark Street killing defendants arraigned - Times Union
3 Albany men indicted in the death of a father of six

Old 05-21-2015, 06:37 PM

233 posts, read 317,935 times
Quote:
2 bedrooms in the most vibrant part of the Capitol Region, $2485. More than New Jersey prices. New Hampshire will be at those prices in 10 years. NC will be at those prices in 25 years.

Market Center Apartments at Railroad Place - Saratoga, NY - Apartments in Albany NY - The Renters Gudie
Actually- according to your link a 2 bedroom is $1995- and in Saratoga. I'm sure most of NJ outside of the hood is the in line with price. Come on..And really, what does that have to do with anything? Nice job hijacking this thread.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:05 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
I see that. Isn't Lark Street "the vibrant heart of Albany, the Capital of New York State." www.larkstreet.org

Lark Street killing defendants arraigned - Times Union
3 Albany men indicted in the death of a father of six

Where is the utopia that you live? No crime? The Cleaver family's neighborhood. Why not tell about the place where you live so this person can consider it, rather than continually bashing and not providing helpful information?

Old 05-22-2015, 05:39 AM

It is probably the same guy with a different name and it is sad that another poster is being selfish versus being helpful.

Also OP, if I'm not mistaken, the North Colonie SD has some good programs. Look at apartments that are in Latham and others in the northern portion of the town of Colonie. It is a very good SD with a decent degree of cultural diversity as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-22-2015 at 05:49 AM..

Old 05-22-2015, 05:52 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
First of all, I didn't know that you had special needs children and I'm certainly not making this personal. That aside, the QOL claim is not an opinion:

The 10 States With the Best Quality of Life - 24/7 Wall St.

OECD says N.H.’s quality of life is tops in U.S. - New Hampshire Business Review - October 17 2014

America's Best States To Live In: CNBC

You won't catch me living in NH due to the cold, but if I had to live somewhere in the Northeast, that would be it for sure.
Two of those articles listed North Dakota as the #1 state and the other article just talked about NH as #1. North Dakota. Really? Have you ever been to the Dakotas? I have. I'm sure that the statboys who cooked up those rankings with their computer algorithms have never been to either, North or South.

I've been to NH, too. It's a pretty state but the southern part close to MA is very expensive and the northern part is very rural with very small communities. The OP wants something different from that. Albany might be a place she would like. She's looking to rent not buy so all this crap about real estate taxes isn't going to impact her much. Knowing that she'll be paying < $150 every two years to register her car might (smaller cars cost less here).

Albany is not NYC or Long Island, and it's not Boston, and that's her point. She wants sort of a big city but not a really big city. Albany is a good candidate. She can get "home" in a few hours. She can take the train down to NYC if she wants. She can watch the fireworks on 4th of July at the ESP and get her kids into soccer and Little League in Colonie or Clifton Park or East Greenbush. She can take them apple picking at Indian Ladder Farms or camping in Moreau State Park. Hit the Altamont Fair in August. The Albany area also has nice restaurants and a reasonable amount of adult nightlife, including an active music scene. I think they still put on plays in the summer in Washington Park. Albany has a bunch of colleges as well as art galleries and museums that enrich the area's cultural life. A lot of these things are things that she couldn't necessarily find in her hometown in NH ... or in ND, either, no matter how "great" some nerd at a computer claims the quality of life is there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area