U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 07:53 AM

63,334 posts, read 88,808,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Shenendehowa doesn't have Pre-K. Lovett and Pace are private schools that are similar to Albany Academy or Doane Stuart.

This is another district that has Pre-K: Heatly School - Green Island Union Free School District, Green Island, NY It is so small that it is a K-12 school with just under 300 students. Here are some apartments in Green Island: River It is sandwiched in between Watervliet, Troy and Cohoes. It also has its own Power/Utility company that gets its power through NYPA. That means lower rates.
Here is info about Green Island's power company: https://www.nypa.gov/about/images/MuniCoopMap.jpg

http://www.villageofgreenisland.com/...-GIPA-2014.pdf

Green Island, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

About GIPA | Village of Green Island

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-31-2015 at 08:06 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 10:06 AM

2,703 posts, read 2,942,561 times
Quote:
Ravena-Coeymans-Selkirk, Watervliet, South Colonie, Cohoes, Berne-Knox-Westerlo and Albany are public districts with Universal Pre-K in Albany County. All except for South Colonie have a walkable village/city environment. Oddly enough, South Colonie may be the best district out of the bunch. RCS is probably next in line, with Watervliet and Cohoes being very similar small scale urban districts. Not sure about BKW.

I'd say coming from Atlanta, South Colonie is probably the best bet and perhaps look in the village of Colonie for maybe a happy medium. With that said, I'd check to see which program fits what you are looking for. Universal Prekindergarten - UPK| Cohoes City Schools

Universal Pre-K - Ravena-Coeymans-Selkirk CSD, Ravena, NY

UPK home - South Colonie Central Schools - Colonie, NY

Universal Pre-Kindergarten Program - WCSD, Watervliet, NY

Albany City Schools, Student Registration, PreK

More info: AlbanyCAP.org - Albany Community Action Partnership -

Troy City, Lansingburgh, Tamarac(Brunswick) and Rensselaer City in Rensselaer County have Pre K programs. Schenectady City has a Pre K program as well.
You don't even live in Albany. How would you know about someone coming from Atlanta, have you ever lived in Atlanta? Why do you comment so much on places that you don't know anything about?

Old 06-04-2015, 10:55 AM

245 posts, read 360,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
You don't even live in Albany. How would you know about someone coming from Atlanta, have you ever lived in Atlanta? Why do you comment so much on places that you don't know anything about?
He is helpful and knows statistics, costs of living, and quality of life factors. He also lives in upstate NY and knows that it's generally consistent all the way across. Why do you challenge him so much instead of actually contributing with any knowledge you may have on the subject?

Old 06-04-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsauce711 View Post
He is helpful and knows statistics, costs of living, and quality of life factors. He also lives in upstate NY and knows that it's generally consistent all the way across. Why do you challenge him so much instead of actually contributing with any knowledge you may have on the subject?
I'm asking a simple question. I live as far away from Albany as he does.

Not challenging anyone, I'm just getting kinda tired of reading non-stop Googled statistics. This site is really starting to suck with the relentless Google links that a 5 year old could find.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsauce711 View Post
Basically and Thank you! You'll notice that the consistent contribution to the thread is an attack on a poster versus offering any type of information help the OP. On top of this, this guy doesn't know me from Adam....

We haven't heard from the OP as to where they lived in the Atlanta area, but given that they are military affiliated, I'm assuming that the OP is either moving to work at the Watervliet Arsenal or for a recruiting tour. I was actually stationed at Fort Gordon GA in the Augusta area as well.

Also, answering the OP's question is the key.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-04-2015 at 12:19 PM..

Old 06-04-2015, 01:07 PM

I have contributed with my opinions and knowledge, however, they are not always of the same opinion of the fanboys on here.

For example, while the Capital Region is nice enough, some parts are dumps and slums, and I don't recommend them to people.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I have contributed with my opinions and knowledge, however, they are not always of the same opinion of the fanboys on here.

For example, while the Capital Region is nice enough, some parts are dumps and slums, and I don't recommend them to people.
What would you suggest to the OP given the info they posted?

Also, what does the term fanboy have to do with this thread?

Old 06-04-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
What would you suggest to the OP given the info they posted?

Also, what does the term fanboy have to do with this thread?
Clifton Park, hands down.

You're the resident fanboy of the Upstate NY forum. I don't mean it derogatorily either.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Clifton Park, hands down.

You're the resident fanboy of the Upstate NY forum. I don't mean it derogatorily either.
Take a look at their criteria though. Shenendehowa Schools do not have a Pre K. So, that would rule it out.

Let's try this again. Given the original post, what would you suggest to the Original Poster?

Old 06-04-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Take a look at their criteria though. Shenendehowa Schools do not have a Pre K. So, that would rule it out.

Let's try this again. Given the original post, what would you suggest to the Original Poster?
Is public pre-K a requirement? I didn't read that. I know its cheaper, though.

In my experience, the crappier towns have public pre-K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area