Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 02:18 PM

255 posts, read 487,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Is public pre-K a requirement? I didn't read that. I know its cheaper, though.

In my experience, the crappier towns have public pre-K.
The OP also said that they weren't a fan of "cookie-cutter neighborhoods in suburbia" which describes Clifton Park to a tee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 02:27 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hock41 View Post
The OP also said that they weren't a fan of "cookie-cutter neighborhoods in suburbia" which describes Clifton Park to a tee.
I read that and I don't think it does. But I know what you mean. Actually, I don't think anywhere in the Northeast has true cookie cutter housing, for the most part. This is what I think of when I think of cookie cutter housing and is something that Atlanta has a lot of:

Appalachian Aerial Images

Here's what I think of in Clifton Park: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cl...!6m1!1e1?hl=en

Old 06-04-2015, 02:28 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
You beat me to the punch, as I was going to enter that edit in the previous post.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Is public pre-K a requirement? I didn't read that. I know its cheaper, though.

In my experience, the crappier towns have public pre-K.
That last sentence isn't necessarily true, as South Colonie is a pretty good SD and most of the others, while being more blue collar and aren't as highly acclaimed, aren't terrible.

Do you have an alternative Pre-K program in the Clifton Park area to suggest?

Also, what about traffic/commute factors?

That original post also mentioned an area with a Downtown to walk to.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:08 PM

255 posts, read 487,971 times
Quote:
I read that and I don't think it does. But I know what you mean. Actually, I don't think anywhere in the Northeast has true cookie cutter housing, for the most part. This is what I think of when I think of cookie cutter housing and is something that Atlanta has a lot of:

Appalachian Aerial Images

Here's what I think of in Clifton Park: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cl...!6m1!1e1?hl=en
I guess I don't see much of a difference. Sure, Clifton Park has more trees and different types of houses than the other neighborhood, but it's still just a bunch of houses plopped right next to each other. I'm not emphasizing the "cookie-cutter" aspect, i'm emphasizing the "suburbia" aspect.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That last sentence isn't necessarily true, as South Colonie is a pretty good SD and most of the others, while being more blue collar and aren't as highly acclaimed, aren't terrible.

Do you have an alternative Pre-K program in the Clifton Park area to suggest?

Also, what about traffic/commute factors?

That original post also mentioned an area with a Downtown to walk to.
Its a generalized statement. It doesn't apply to anywhere, and I said it was my opinion. Here in NJ, its generally like that, NY I don't imagine being much different.

DeBlasios campaign has been all about pre-K, it for the working poor in NYC. Rich people on the Upper East side aren't demanding public pre-K.

I can see Syracuse having it well before Fayetteville does. Just sayin

I have no alternatives to suggest.

The commute from Clifton PArk to Watervliet or Albany isn't bad.

Downtown- you got Saratoga Sprngs, Ballston Spa, all pretty close by.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
I guess I don't see much of a difference. Sure, Clifton Park has more trees and different types of houses than the other neighborhood, but it's still just a bunch of houses plopped right next to each other. I'm not emphasizing the "cookie-cutter" aspect, i'm emphasizing the "suburbia" aspect.
Fair enough. CP is one of the more standard suburban areas in that region. That said, its also a lot less grimy and the OP said a good school system above all else, even if the town is cookie cutter. So I was going on that. I know a few people who graduated from that school system and they were pretty sharp.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Its a generalized statement. It doesn't apply to anywhere, and I said it was my opinion. Here in NJ, its generally like that, NY I don't imagine being much different.

DeBlasios campaign has been all about pre-K, it for the working poor in NYC. Rich people on the Upper East side aren't demanding public pre-K.

I can see Syracuse having it well before Fayetteville does. Just sayin

I have no alternatives to suggest.

The commute from Clifton PArk to Watervliet or Albany isn't bad.

Downtown- you got Saratoga Sprngs, Ballston Spa, all pretty close by.
Again, what would be the suggestion for a private or alternative Pre-K program if they were to live in Clifton Park? What about the fact that a pretty school district in South Colonie has Pre-K? What's wrong with Ravena-Coeymans-Selkirk?

Traffic may be a relative thing in regards to I-87 or other routes from Clifton Park to Watervliet.

So, the OP would have to drive to Saratoga Springs, Ballston Spa, etc to get to a Downtown to walk to? I thought they wanted one they could walk to. Why not offer up Saratoga Springs then?

Also, while Shen is very good, it isn't even viewed as being the best school district in the area. Why not Nisky, Bethlehem, North Colonie or Guilderland, which are all very good and are the districts that are consistently the top 4, generally? North Colonie essentially surrounds Watervliet and would offer a short commute.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Again, what would be the suggestion for a private or alternative Pre-K program if they were to live in Clifton Park? What about the fact that a pretty school district in South Colonie has Pre-K? What's wrong with Ravena-Coeymans-Selkirk?

Traffic may be a relative thing in regards to I-87 or other routes from Clifton Park to Watervliet.

So, the OP would have to drive to Saratoga Springs, Ballston Spa, etc to get to a Downtown to walk to? I thought they wanted one they could walk to. Why not offer up Saratoga Springs then?

Also, while Shen is very good, it isn't even viewed as being the best school district in the area. Why not Nisky, Bethlehem, North Colonie or Guilderland, which are all very good and are the districts that are consistently the top 4, generally? North Colonie essentially surrounds Watervliet and would offer a short commute.
I said that I'm not contradicting your choices in schools, I don't know enough about schools to give advice.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I said that I'm not contradicting your choices in schools, I don't know enough about schools to give advice.
Oh ok......So, what was the problem earlier? Just curious.....

To the OP, are you open to a private Pre-K?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area