U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 12:53 PM

2,697 posts, read 2,940,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm trying to get back to the thread instead entertaining your personal vendetta or whatever it is with me.

So, can we try this again and help the OP?
I have no personal vendetta (?) with you at all. I was being 100% sincere. I have nothing else to offer the OP, so post away.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 01:26 PM

63,171 posts, read 88,707,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I have no personal vendetta (?) with you at all. I was being 100% sincere. I have nothing else to offer the OP, so post away.
Good to hear and if I think of something, I'll post it.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-05-2015 at 01:51 PM..

Old 06-05-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
More info: Harmony Mills - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Downtown Cohoes Historic District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-05-2015, 02:44 PM

112 posts, read 203,770 times
Quote:
I was just stating which communities had Pre-K, which is something that the OP actually mentioned. I wouldn't call the South Colonie or Ravena areas "dumpy". With the others, yes, they are more blue collar. That may or may not be an issue, as those communities also have character and fit the aspect of being able to walk to a Downtown. Cohoes is actually going through a bit of a revitalization as well, with the opening of its Music Hall and new apartments in recent years. So, that could appeal to the OP.

Do you have experience living in any of them? Why suggest an area without Pre-K or a Downtown to walk to?
My wife and I attended a concert at Cohoes Music Hall recently and I parked at the end of Remsen st. with the primary intention of getting a glimpse of all of this so-called "revitalization". From what we witnessed that evening, it's safe to say the "revitalization" has either stopped in its tracks, or has a looonnnnggg way to go.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastreturnsWest View Post
My wife and I attended a concert at Cohoes Music Hall recently and I parked at the end of Remsen st. with the primary intention of getting a glimpse of all of this so-called "revitalization". From what we witnessed that evening, it's safe to say the "revitalization" has either stopped in its tracks, or has a looonnnnggg way to go.
It appears that it has only been going on for a few years or so, but given that it is a city with a blue collar/mill town history, I doubt that it will be as sterile as say Saratoga or some newer city. It appears that is only in certain areas or in regards to certain projects like Harmony Mills or the former St. Joseph's Church. It appears that the Armory project died though. Cohoes officials: Ravens Head Brewery project ‘dead’

Here is a Metroland article from 2 years ago: Cohoes, Reinvented

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-05-2015 at 07:11 PM..

Old 06-06-2015, 12:05 PM

327 posts, read 330,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Is public pre-K a requirement? I didn't read that. I know its cheaper, though.

In my experience, the crappier towns have public pre-K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hock41 View Post
The OP also said that they weren't a fan of "cookie-cutter neighborhoods in suburbia" which describes Clifton Park to a tee.
No doubt.
Nice people, but boring area to live in. Saratoga much more dynamic and much better. Actually, Queensbury is a great area as well, and offers Lake George to "get away a bit"

As for CP, its solid if you are dumb enough to want to send your kids to a public school...its more like a college prep school.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:13 PM

33 posts, read 28,771 times
Wow. It's been a very busy week at work and I was just able to catch up here. Thank you everyone for the links. Also I am pretty sure this "good natured" debate actually revealed quite a bit of information on the region.
I'll try and respond now to what I read but I will have to check in the morning to see if I left anything out.
Yes my husband will be at the arsenal AND he is a recruiter so you were correct on both counts.
I am not opposed to private prek. I am not sure how NY works- GA public is lottery funded and free for everyone. But we are willing to do either, he just needs to be in something.
Atlanta area IS cookie cutter suburbs. We are in one right now. There are a lot of great things to do for families, but it is not diverse at all. By diverse I mean race, religion, income, and just basic tolerance of people differences. That is my main reason for asking for areas that have a walkable downtown, I would like my son to be exposed to things other than strip malls and Chuck E Cheese I feel like areas with a vibrant downtown usually have a lot to offer(this is just my experience, could be totally off here)
Again, thank you everyone for commenting. We move a lot and it is an extremely difficult task to get an idea of an area when you do not know anyone there, have any frame reference or idea of where to begin looking. And in a short amount of time.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:19 AM

Thank you for responding back.

It sounds like a nicer city neighborhood would work for you or South Colonie.

In terms of suburbs, those in Upstate NY near a college presence and for some reason, those that have a Jewish presence tend to have what you mentioned/are looking for in regards to diversity, tolerance, etc. South Colonie has both, along with 2 schools with Pre K. This video offers some good information: http://youtu.be/eY9DIEnPASc
Others that come to mind are Amherst(Amherst Central and Williamsville), Brighton, DeWitt(Jamesville-DeWitt), Vestal and to a lesser degree in terms of direct college proximity, New Hartford(in between Hamilton and Utica Colleges). For instance, these schools generally will move their HS Football game on the weekend of Yom Kippur to Thursday due to the relatively stronger Jewish presence with those HS's and if you watch the Football teams of most of these schools, they tend to be relatively/are more racially mixed than most other suburban teams. So, those are a couple of other criteria that could be used.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-07-2015 at 03:39 AM..

Old 07-01-2015, 12:48 PM

33 posts, read 28,771 times
So my husbands orders have been pushed back to mid November. Which is unfortunate for a few reasons. 1) we will most likely spend Thanksgiving in a hotel 2) we will Defenitely be only looking at private prek as I am thinking all the public slots will be full. And 3) is actually my next question- will it already be snowing then? Just curious as to when snowfall typically begins?

Old 07-01-2015, 12:57 PM

253 posts, read 417,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coop1231 View Post
So my husbands orders have been pushed back to mid November. Which is unfortunate for a few reasons. 1) we will most likely spend Thanksgiving in a hotel 2) we will Defenitely be only looking at private prek as I am thinking all the public slots will be full. And 3) is actually my next question- will it already be snowing then? Just curious as to when snowfall typically begins?
You can expect at least one snowfall by then. Although this past year it didn't really snow until December.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area