U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 07:35 PM

33 posts, read 28,783 times

Advertisements

I haven't looked into these yet, the interview was only scheduled a day in advance. I work in retail management. i haven't looked outside of my current employer yet. Once I hear back from this interview I will start looking elsewhere.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 07:59 AM

7 posts, read 10,838 times
Just a word of advice, but since you've never driven in the snow, during the first reasonable snowfall of the season, you may want to find an empty parking lot to practice in. Steering, braking, and doing either of those while turning/curving, how to stop your car from sliding to the side (turn your wheel in the direction you're sliding, as it will act like a plow and slow you down fast), is all something that takes some practice. Even for those of us who have lived upstate our entire lives, every year it's like riding a bike...takes a bit in the first snowfall to get used to the driving adjustment again (and you'll notice this by how poorly the overall driving population handles the roadways in the first decent snowfall).

And when it comes to commuting, even though roadways have systems for keeping them clear, you'll want to add time to your drive to account for any poor weather. While plows are clearing the thruway frequently, they generally only do 1 lane at a time, and if it's a storm, your options may be to follow the plow, or drive in a lane with enough snow to slow you down to nearly the plow's speed. As a whole, drivers up here don't tend to drive slow in the rain (like MA drivers... I swear anytime I go to their state, the slightest rain means everyone is hitting their brakes and slowing way down). But snow can be more of a visibility problem than rain, especially if it's coming down decently good, or you're passing by fields where wind creates white-outs across the roads. Stuff like that will slow traffic down because your headlights don't quite cut through snow like they can with rain.

And like someone else said, always clear snow from the top of your vehicle (get an extendable brush/scraper if you have to), and the lights. My husband has had a sheet of compacted snow and ice fly off someone's car and shatter his headlight when it hit. I've had people where a large sheet of wet heavy snow flew off the top and landed on my windshield (massive visibility problem and takes a few seconds for the wipers to clear it all, in addition to startling). The worst of it is that lighter sheets can remain mostly in tact while flipping through the air in slow motion, and it could still hit you even if you keep a good distance between your traveling speed and any wind keeping it aloft or carrying it your direction. And if your lights aren't clear, especially if it's whiteout conditions, other drivers might not see you until it's too late. To add to that, in storms where we get 1-2" per hour, if you're out and about, you'll want to check/clear all your lights each time you make a pit stop somewhere.

Lets see...probably want to make sure you keep in mind the difference between sleet and freezing rain, so you can be prepared if you're heading out in either. If you get really good snow tires (check customer reviews on tirerack.com), you shouldn't have too much trouble in any winter weather. And if you opt for studded, you should be fine. I think the laws for studded were you can put them on no sooner than October, and they have to be off the car by April 31st. And as with everything in life, you could do everything right, and someone else could come along and ruin our day by not being as safe (whether that's their driving skills, attention, or the capabilities of their car and it's safety).

For things to keep in the car for winter use... a blanket, snow brush & scraper, lock de-icer, de-icing spray, de-icing washer fluid, maybe some of those chemical reaction hand warmer things. I would maybe keep some snacks in there (just rotate them out before they expire so you aren't wasting). You never know when you could be in a situation where it's a storm, and maybe you go off the road and the worst case hits; can't easily get out, cellphone not getting service, car isn't easily noticed by traffic, etc. If you have remote starters, then I envy you because you don't need to de-ice/brush just to get into your car to start warming it up, lol. Also, since I've known several people who don't have floor mats in their car...make sure you have them. They can serve a dual purpose of helping you get out if you're stuck (jam it between the tire & snow so that your tire can get traction and drive over it). If you instead sit and spin your tires, creating friction, all you're doing is melting the snow/ice and/or making it slick and if it's cold enough it will re-freeze into an even slicker surface. Keeping a small thing of sand, or cat litter, in your car can also help. Also, keep some kind of flares, or reflective orange cones/etc in the car in case you do break down or go in a ditch. I've come across accidents and I could see the flare in the flying snow long before I could notice any people or vehicles, and that was great for getting traffic to slow down well in advance.

I second/third the finding of a really good pair of warm books that go high and can go over your pants. You'll want to wear them everywhere, and just change into your work/dress/etc shoes when you get to your destination. Also get a good scarf or face mask, something to cover your nose & mouth (in addition to things covering your head/ears). There will be days where the wind chill is so bad that you can feel your nose hairs start to freeze within seconds, and those are the days you want that protection. Along with that, there are some days where schools will be delayed because of the wind chill. Some people (who don't experience winters like that) don't understand why...the reasoning is because of the length of time it's safe to be outside in whatever that day's wind chill is, and them taking into consideration that lots of kids have to stand outside waiting for the bus (at a stop), or have to walk to school. So in an effort to keep those kids from getting frostbite, they will put out school delays so that by the time they need to go out in the elements, it's a less dangerous temperature.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:11 PM

Irelynx thank you for the detailed advice! All very helpful. We will defenitely do some parking lot practice, I was also wondering if somewhere offers defensive driving/snow courses. I will research that when we arrive.
I am still waiting to hear about the job I interviewed for. My HR manager thinks they will offer it by the end of the week. If I accept, I will be doing a pretty lengthy commute. My car will surely be stocked with all of the items you mentioned.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:15 PM

Also I think we will probably end up in Schenectady if everything works out with the job. It is just a bit closer to Watervliet for my husband's commute.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:58 PM

63,351 posts, read 88,836,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coop1231 View Post
Also I think we will probably end up in Schenectady if everything works out with the job. It is just a bit closer to Watervliet for my husband's commute.
In the city or in the suburbs?

Old 08-26-2015, 04:53 PM

It depends on what we can find. I have read on here Niskayuna could be a bit uppity so I would prefer Not to live there. Are there any neighborhoods/areas to stay away from within the city? A friend of a friend told me parts of it are run down and the schools aren't the best. But our price range will be much more flexible for housing and schools if I am already employed when we arrive.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
It depends on what we can find. I have read on here Niskayuna could be a bit uppity so I would prefer Not to live there. Are there any neighborhoods/areas to stay away from within the city? A friend of a friend told me parts of it are run down and the schools aren't the best. But our price range will be much more flexible for housing and schools if I am already employed when we arrive.
Perhaps suburbs like Scotia and Rotterdam could work.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:15 PM

We decided on Scotia. Thanks everyone for your help!

Old 10-06-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
We decided on Scotia. Thanks everyone for your help!
Good to hear and I hope everything works out for you and your family.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:27 AM

3,871 posts, read 2,133,164 times
I would hold off from Watervliet for a while. There's something going on there with the cops. One was involved with a drug gang. Another one was stationed at the HS and got caught having sex with one of the girls. Now they suspect another one and searched his house yesterday. It might even be two more, I'm not sure.

And they used the cops to search the house, not the sheriff or state police. Suspicious.

A parent at the HS told the principal what was going on and she never did anything, never went to the cops (which is probably just as well) or the state police. Just sat on it.

Watervliet is a very close community. Inbred even. They accept their way of life and IMO it's not a situation outsiders would feel comfortable in.

Colonie might be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area