Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 08:27 PM

10 posts, read 59,982 times

Advertisements

I'm currently weighing my options in regards to relocating to Upstate NY. I'm currently living in Brooklyn (Yes, I know) And will be graduating college next year. I also have a child who is school-age, so I'm also considering the educational system.

After narrowing down my choices based on location (being able to travel to the city without hassle) and the most cost-friendly for a single parent/college grad (I'm planning to get a job within either area that I choose, if I can) I'm stuck between Albany and Schenectady. As of this moment, I'm stuck.

I guess my questions are these:

-Which is better to raise children in?
-Which would be more "cost-friendly" (Not ghetto, I'm trying to leave that in Brooklyn)
-Which place would have a better chance for me to land a job. Not looking for six figures, but I want to survive.

Hopefully someone will help me out with this, as my relatives and friends want me to stay in Brooklyn (er....no!) Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 08:18 AM

93,264 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphyChica View Post
I'm currently weighing my options in regards to relocating to Upstate NY. I'm currently living in Brooklyn (Yes, I know) And will be graduating college next year. I also have a child who is school-age, so I'm also considering the educational system.

After narrowing down my choices based on location (being able to travel to the city without hassle) and the most cost-friendly for a single parent/college grad (I'm planning to get a job within either area that I choose, if I can) I'm stuck between Albany and Schenectady. As of this moment, I'm stuck.

I guess my questions are these:

-Which is better to raise children in?
-Which would be more "cost-friendly" (Not ghetto, I'm trying to leave that in Brooklyn)
-Which place would have a better chance for me to land a job. Not looking for six figures, but I want to survive.

Hopefully someone will help me out with this, as my relatives and friends want me to stay in Brooklyn (er....no!) Thanks in advance.
It will depend on your skillset and what you prefer. Both of the city school districts could be better, but both have their good and not so good schools. Both of the high schools are big and also vary in terms of diversity and programs. So, a lot depends on what you want and do.

Also, you can consider some nearby smaller cities that are still relatively affordable, generally safe and the schools are probably better or are percieved to be. When I say that, I think of cities like Cohoes, Watervliet and Rensselaer. All three have some diversity and they have a blue collar feel to them too.

Menands might be another place to look and I believe that after 8th grade, kids go to Shaker High in the very good North Colonie school district. It's also close to Albany too.

Don't forget about Troy across the Hudson from Albany and there are two school districts there to choose from in Troy City SD and Lansingburgh, which covers North Troy.

If you want a suburb with some diversity outside of the smaller cities I mentioned, look at South Colonie, eventhough the other bigger suburban school districts have some to varying degrees. South Colonie is probably more "established" in that regard and is still a good SD.

Here's a website you might like to look at: Central New York Jobs

Old 05-12-2010, 05:58 AM

267 posts, read 971,431 times
I can't compare the two really. I've never lived in Albany, only visited for dinner, museums, festivals. I live in Sch'dy w/my kids, they go to the public schools. I've written lots of posts about living here, I'd search for some of the specific posts about neighborhoods. I really enjoy it. How old is your child? There are magnet schools in Sch'dy as well, which you enter based on lottery. There are a lot of great programs at the highschool level as well. Have you already found a job? Depending upon where you are working, I'd recommend certain areas over others, also depending upon how old your child is, you'd want to choose a place to live based on which elementary school is for that area, if he/she is that young. If you have specific questions about the Sch'dy area, I'd be happy to answer via board or direct message.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:46 PM

Thank you all so much. My son is going to the fourth grade, and I haven't found a job as of yet. I'm currently going for my degree in Social Work.

Someone told me that finding a job with my degree is a long shot, especially in Schenectady where it's mostly blue-collar. I don't know how true it is, but I do plan on visiting these places before I make a final decision. Perhaps I can work for the State, which I'm applying for State jobs now while I'm still in NYC.

I will definitely consider other places as well, and I heard mixed reviews about Troy. This is harder than I thought Once again, a milion thanks. Any advice is greatly appreciated

Old 05-13-2010, 07:43 PM

I strangely know a lot of people who do social work! I don't necessarily agree that Sch'dy is mostly blue collar, I'd say it's a good mix of white & blue. It's more blue collar than more affluent areas near by, like Niskayuna, Guilderland, are more white collar. Most people that I know are white collar, but I'm in a nice section of Sch'dy. If you look at Sch'dy, you want to keep in mind that he is getting closer to middle school age. There are now some K-8 magnet schools in Sch'dy. The popular one these days is the International magnet at Central Park. You enter based on a lottery. The other elementaries are K-6. I honestly would not limit yourself to a certain town or city w/o getting a job. There are just so many different school districts w/in the Capital Region. There are certain places where you might live and work, where the commute could take a long time since there is not a direct route on highways. My husband has had 3 different jobs and luckily has had a reasonable commute to all 3 from Sch'dy.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 12,151 times
I would like to say, both are filled wit drugs and violence. there are cities such as amsterdam which is only 45 min away from albany and 25 from schenectady. if you would like to know some examples i will tell you.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobooxx20 View Post
I would like to say, both are filled wit drugs and violence. there are cities such as amsterdam which is only 45 min away from albany and 25 from schenectady. if you would like to know some examples i will tell you.
You are right there is a problem, but every city, every town has it's issues. You don't think Amsterdam has the same issues as Albany or Sch'dy? Considering she's coming from Brooklyn I have to assume she has a bit of street smarts, she knows not to walk down dark alleys at night, etc. The very affluent town I grew up in, 5 min from here had it's problems too. Difference was, it wasn't published in the papers, broadcast on the evening news. It was whispered about. In Sch'dy the problems are much more out in the open for all to see. You hear about all the bad things in our cities of Albany, Sch'dy & Troy. You hear less of the great things. But each city is great, and yes you'll have to come visit to decide for yourself. For me coming from a suburb of a very large city, where commutes were 1 1/2hr each way, and I had no hopes of ever owning a single family home; coming here has been great. I feel very fortunate to have the lifestyle, home, neighbors, schools, teachers and opportunities I have here.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:45 AM

93,264 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Schenectady schools are very diverse too. I think that there isn't a predominate group in the schools and you a good amount Blacks, Whites, Hispanics and Asians there. There's even diversity within each of those groups as well.

Also, with Troy, you have to keep in mind that the Lansingburgh school district is a smaller district than the Troy City school district. So, it has more of a suburban feel to it with it's share of diversity as well.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:05 PM

Default Quick Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by j12308 View Post
You are right there is a problem, but every city, every town has it's issues. You don't think Amsterdam has the same issues as Albany or Sch'dy? Considering she's coming from Brooklyn I have to assume she has a bit of street smarts, she knows not to walk down dark alleys at night, etc. The very affluent town I grew up in, 5 min from here had it's problems too. Difference was, it wasn't published in the papers, broadcast on the evening news. It was whispered about. In Sch'dy the problems are much more out in the open for all to see. You hear about all the bad things in our cities of Albany, Sch'dy & Troy. You hear less of the great things. But each city is great, and yes you'll have to come visit to decide for yourself. For me coming from a suburb of a very large city, where commutes were 1 1/2hr each way, and I had no hopes of ever owning a single family home; coming here has been great. I feel very fortunate to have the lifestyle, home, neighbors, schools, teachers and opportunities I have here.
I wouldn't walk down a well-lit alley, and I've lived here my entire life. LOL
I'm sure that they all have it's fair share of problems.
But honestly, I rahter live where there's a bit of problems here and there, than waking up to a problem every day.

I just came off of a 3-hour bus trip to Albany/Schenectady, and I haven't had so much fun in my entire life! I was there over the weekend, and also had the pleasure of visiting Scotia. I was so amazed at how these three places differred from NYC (Now I know how the tourists feel)

I also saw that many places closed up shop due to the economy, which made me sad. But, I see how they are fixing everything, which gives me a bit of hope. I plan on going back in June to see Troy, Rotterdam and Amsterdam, as a few people suggested.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:53 PM

I love Scotia! Great town. I'd love to hear about your trip, what did you like the most, what touristy things did you do? You had great weather. Maybe make a trip North from Troy, to visit Ballston Spa & Saratoga, rather than west to Rotterdam & Amsterdam. I just love the history, the architecture, and close to the Adirondacks. If you end up going north, see if anything good is happening at SPAC, check out the Saratoga State Park, the big mineral deposit & springs are cool to see, the formal pool, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area