Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2015, 08:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,689 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm close to taking a job in Schenectady county and if I decide to accept it, I will be moving there soon and have no idea where to start looking. I'm young and will be living alone, so safety is my number one concern - I'm willing to pay a little more and be a little further away if it means not worrying about walking around alone. A lot of what I've heard about the city of Schenectady itself is that it can be dangerous but also has nice parts (like most cities).

I'm looking at apartment complexes in the area around Nott St, Rosa Rd, and Balltown Rd. It's in my price range and close to where I'd be working, so those are two big advantages, but is the area generally safe? Or should I go further away to make sure I'll be safe?

Any help is welcome, and please be as descriptive as possible with neighborhoods, streets, etc. I've only been to the area once for an overnight trip, so I know next to nothing about the neighborhoods.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 01:07 PM

3 posts, read 10,274 times
I actually live in Schenectady and live in the Rosa Rd area. I have never felt unsafe here. I feel fine walking around the area. Rosa Rd/Nott St is right on the border of Niskayuna. This part of the Northside is a quiet neighborhood. Halfway between Rosa and Balltown turns to Old Niskayuna, which is in the town of Niskayuna, is another fine area.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:22 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,409,128 times
Schenectady (and for that matter the entire Albany area) is not a nice place - the winters are drawn-out brutally cold, there is a disproportionate number of people that are small-minded, most inner city areas are not safe (think DC Navy Yard area), the Albany area is remotely located and requires an overnight stay if you plan to visit other cities.

If you are from VA as your name suggests, I would recommend NoVa over Albany. NoVa is not problem free, but much better than Albany. If you are looking to leave VA, try Texas or Wash State.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:10 PM

131 posts, read 138,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Schenectady (and for that matter the entire Albany area) is not a nice place - the winters are drawn-out brutally cold, there is a disproportionate number of people that are small-minded, most inner city areas are not safe (think DC Navy Yard area), the Albany area is remotely located and requires an overnight stay if you plan to visit other cities.

If you are from VA as your name suggests, I would recommend NoVa over Albany. NoVa is not problem free, but much better than Albany. If you are looking to leave VA, try Texas or Wash State.
I would completely avoid and not listen to this post. While some parts of the Albany Area aren't nice, many people would much rather live here than Texas and Washington State.

While Schennactady has definitely seen better days, the suburbs in the area such as Saratoga completely destroy the suburbs in Texas and Wash. NoVa does have nice suburbs though, but expensiver than the Albany Area because of its proximity to DC.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:49 PM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post

NoVA is pretty expensive in terms of COL and has ridiculous traffic at times as well. Niskayuna just outside of Schenectady is one of the most affluent communities in Upstate NY and is on par with higher end suburbs in major areas. Niskayuna Central School District - USA.comâ„¢

I believe that the Albany area may be one of the safest top 100 metros in the country in terms of crime rate and it is around 20th out of the top 100 metros in educational attainment. http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2013...LowtoHigh).pdf

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...reas.html?_r=0

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-19-2015 at 09:09 PM..

Old 07-21-2015, 12:29 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddust View Post
I would completely avoid and not listen to this post. While some parts of the Albany Area aren't nice, many people would much rather live here than Texas and Washington State.

While Schennactady has definitely seen better days, the suburbs in the area such as Saratoga completely destroy the suburbs in Texas and Wash. NoVa does have nice suburbs though, but expensiver than the Albany Area because of its proximity to DC.

Really? With that statement, well, it's true if you're talking about Eastern WA.
One of the five hottest real estate markets and top 5 in metro area growth is the Seattle area.
The Capital District is all right but next to Seattle, that is like comparing the New York Jets to the Seahawks.
Saratoga, Clifton Park and Ballston Spa over Gig Harbor, Edmonds and Kirkland? LOL

Old 07-22-2015, 09:47 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,409,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddust View Post

Lol. You are right.

Sunshine and balmy temps prevail in Albany year round
http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/26/35/37.../5/628x471.jpg
(please note that the snow becomes so thick and slushy that you can't use a large vehicle plow, but need a large snow thrower)

Albany is very close to all the places you want to be.
The driving time from Albany, New York to Boston, Massachusetts is:

2 hours, 54 minutes

Driving Time from Albany, NY to Boston, MA

(It's about the same to NYC.)

Go to FlightStats - Global Flight Tracker, Status Tracking and Airport Information and check out the meager offerings for flights - about 1 per hour and most are just regional connectors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area