Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 12:29 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4evr View Post
Ironically, Plattsburgh is NOT within "the Adirondacks" but as one poster correctly stated...in the "foothills". Feel free to check the "blue line" and confirm !
Technically, it is in the Champlain Valley, but the area its is in has been marketed as the Adirondack Coast. Adirondack Coast Cultural Alliance - Home

GoAdirondack.com-The Adirondack Coast

Adirondack Coast Wine Trail & The Adirondack Coast Wine, Cider & Beer Festival
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 09:54 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,822,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4evr View Post
Ironically, Plattsburgh is NOT within "the Adirondacks" but as one poster correctly stated...in the "foothills". Feel free to check the "blue line" and confirm !
Isn't the blue line the park itself, the area under the control of the APA? I believe the Adirondack region extends beyond this boundary a bit. For example, I'd say the South Colton Reservoir area would be considered the Adirondack region.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:24 AM

792 posts, read 1,301,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Isn't the blue line the park itself, the area under the control of the APA? I believe the Adirondack region extends beyond this boundary a bit. For example, I'd say the South Colton Reservoir area would be considered the Adirondack region.
The "blue line" does indeed define that area controlled by the APA...and within that defined line lies the Adirondack Mountains ....comprised of 46 low to mid range mountains. I have found that over the years, people tend to stretch the perimeters. I have heard New York City folks claim they are from "up North"..when you ask where, they say Buffalo..!

People from Malone often refer to "heading up North" when going to the Tri Lakes area (Placid/Saranac Lake/Tupper) when in fact, Malone is North of that specific area.

Plattsburgh, which does lie within the Champlain Valley, has been the saving grace of the High Peaks Adirondack) region for many years....it is there where many residents head to find the bigger box stores etc.

True Adirondack natives are a funny bunch, they take pride in often being known for being the "cold spot in the nation"...and get wicked sensitive when outsiders claim residency within that area known as The Adirondack Mountains....almost like a badge of well earned courage.

As to that specific area around Colton, I can't honestly tell you where the "blue line" lies, all you need to do is ask any resident...they know...better yet...cut a tree...and you will find out quick !

Old 03-15-2016, 10:07 AM

792 posts, read 1,301,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Technically what you state is true...the key word being "region"...A region being a general area...the "Adirondack Mountains" being a specific area within that region...make sense ?

One final example, If you look at the State of Maine...to some people, anything North of Bangor is "Northern Maine"...however if you specifically refer to "the Allagash"...that too is in Northern Maine, however a place specific to that region...a place...within a place !

Last edited by Irish4evr; 03-15-2016 at 10:30 AM..

Old 03-18-2016, 12:36 PM

6 posts, read 6,127 times
If you liked the Capital Region of NY and you want to return, go for it provided that you have a job lined up and that know which area is comfortable and affordable. I suggest a rental. There are plenty of apartments and/or in the cities and communities located in the counties of Saratoga, Albany and Rensselaer.

This is a great place to live, but it does come with a price. We do have higher costs. We do have difficult winters and cloudy days, etc., and you need a car if you really want to see what this REGION (and beyond) has to offer.

Pls be realistic as you approach another change in location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area