U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 09:19 AM

7 posts, read 33,015 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am moving to Albany from NYC. I'm originally from Syracuse so I'm use to upstate life. However I wanted to get info from those who know Albany and upstate as a whole. Couple of questions:

1) Since I LOVE NYC, but need to move to Albany for work reasons, where is a good place to live in Albany for someone with a NYC mentality. I don't want to drive to go grocery shopping, or to the coffee house, etc. Prefer neighborhoods that are diverse, young families, etc. Anyone familiar with Syracuse (Westcott/SU area) or Buffalo (Allentown/Elmwood area), that's what I'm looking for in Albany. Please help.

* Also please tell me the absolutely worst areas in Albany (crime, trash, etc.)

2) Are the public schools any good in Albany? I heard about some good private schools for my 4 yr. old including Doane Stuart and Albany Academy. However, in Syracuse there are some horrible public schools but a few that are highly regarded including HW Smith Elementary. Anything like that in Albany?

3) Anyone know where I can get pictures of the different areas of Albany, online?

Thanks for all your help. If yu ever need info on Syracuse, Buffalo, or NYC let me know!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2006, 10:00 AM

6 posts, read 21,432 times
Wow I live in albany now and have to the past 4.5 years. I love it. I grew up just outside of albany so I know the area very well. If you want to walk to dinner, coffee houses, and be in a diverse neighborhood there is only one spot, center city. It is where the capital is. You want to look for a place to live off of lark street. Now just so you know this is a historic area, very old homes. My home was built in 1863. I love it, but it is a lot of work. This area is very diverse and a lot of fun. If you want more question answer please feel free to ask. The public schools are tough around albany, but the private schools are awesome. IT's your call. But i would look in that area, its the only one thats close to city living.

Old 11-25-2006, 02:07 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,133,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christoph13 View Post
Wow I live in albany now and have to the past 4.5 years. I love it. I grew up just outside of albany so I know the area very well. If you want to walk to dinner, coffee houses, and be in a diverse neighborhood there is only one spot, center city. It is where the capital is. You want to look for a place to live off of lark street. Now just so you know this is a historic area, very old homes. My home was built in 1863. I love it, but it is a lot of work. This area is very diverse and a lot of fun. If you want more question answer please feel free to ask. The public schools are tough around albany, but the private schools are awesome. IT's your call. But i would look in that area, its the only one thats close to city living.
WOW! That sounds so GREAT! Now if there were only jobs for me - I'd consider moving there too. I do Accounts Receivable/Payable, Credit and Collections (Business to Business) with 8 plus years experience. Trouble is that when I do a job search online in the Albany area via the major job boards or look into the Albany newspaper - there isn't that much there as far as job openings in my field of expertise and I'm not working for a measely $8-$12/hour either . Am I missing something or is it either that there are no jobs or it's elsewhere that I'm not seeing.

Any insight would be so appreciated - thanks.

Old 11-26-2006, 05:33 PM

Thanks Christoph13 for the info. What about the public schools in that area you're referring to: Center City. Do you know if they are any good? The area definitely sounds like my taste. What are the rents. Even though, who care's. Coming from NYC anything sounds good.

NJguy- Maybe you should reserach some companies up there and send out resumes/letters cold to companies. The lower paying jobs are always advertised on those jobs and their not the best. I work in media and went directly to the source. I'll make the same amount I make in NYC but with Albany cost of living and I can't turn that down.

Old 11-26-2006, 05:45 PM

10,193 posts, read 25,822,073 times
Last time I checked apartments in Center City (Lark Street Historic area) they ranged from 550-1000.

I worked in NYC and Albany, commuting back and forth but really enjoyed this area--restaurants, shops, bookstores, etc. but scale is much different.

I don't know anyone with children in the area so can't comment on schools.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:48 AM

Thanks Ontheroad. What areas are definitely "no go" zones?? This neighborhood sounds like my speed but is there a neighborhood similar with more kids?? My son is a NYC kid so he stills needs action too.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:04 PM

538 posts, read 2,330,944 times
I drove through a section of Albany called "Arbor Hill". I highly recommend staying away from there.

Old 11-27-2006, 11:37 PM

3 posts, read 8,263 times
if you do move to Albany stay on the left side of central ave. The right is the " Arbor Hill" area . (e.g.. Clinton,first, second, elk, and a whole bunch of others) The Albany city school district is horrible so I definitely recommended privet schools the cost is not that much. Lark street is awesome I lived there for three years and it was the best. the lark street lifestyle is unforgettable , definitely try the daily grind its soooo good, but if you have children its a little bit harder because its very urban. I would recommend living in the 12203 zip code up more towards the state offices it a lot more laid back but a great place to raise children my mother lives up there, and most of the property has backyards and there are tons of kids around.

Old 11-30-2006, 04:53 PM

Thanks all for the info I can't believe the school district is that bad. That's sad. I wanted to put my son in private school but at least wanted the option.

Old 12-01-2006, 01:59 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,426,317 times
hi KeNYC-i lived in Albany for many years, went for grad school and stayed for 10 years. very open minded and fun place to hang.

1) Pine Hills is very comfortable older more affordable homes near groceries, restaurants, cafes, theatre on foot.

Delmar a great suburb right outside of albany south

Lark Street, the historic district and young and hip-restaurant and bars( Justins is a great jazz bar and restaurant, the Big House Brew Pub) housing down there and on foot

(worst-Arbor Hill)

2) Good Magnet public schools

3) try albany times union or metroland news for more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area