U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 06:37 PM

691 posts, read 555,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcakes8888 View Post
Hello !
So, my family and I are considering a move back east from San Francisco Bay Area ( I grew up in west cty ny) to Saratoga springs area. I have family up there and am somewhat familiar, but not with Saratoga springs in particular . Help! We are concerned about cost of living. I see housing is affordable ( compared to where I am lol) but we need to get a idea on average salaries, across the board. What can you survive on? Live comfortable on? Is the economy good there, and year round? Is it a ghost town even for locals in winter time? Which schools are good? Will I feel like I know everyone's business after a year of living there lol? We are looking for a smaller town, more community, change of seasons, lighter commutes, friendly people and rich nature and history. Please ,if you can, give me your two,three or tens cents:
Thank you

Saratoga is crazy busy in the summer, but there is still enough going on in the winter IMO.

I think you will be surprised by how good the schools are compared to the Bay Area. Prop 13 really destroyed the quality of education in California. The schools are usually so bad in SF and Silicon Valley, it's the norm for people to spend $30-40k a year per kid for schooling. Many public schools are good in Saratoga County, just look at the school ratings to get a feel.

Commutes will definitely be better, but are you looking to commute to Albany? That commute is not the greatest.

Housing prices will be a dream after being in the Bay Area, especially if you are flexible on surrounding areas.

If you want to enjoy nature, try going up to Lake George from Saratoga.

The economy in Upstate NY is not the same as the Bay Area. Amount of $ to live on is all dependent on your actual lifestyle. Some people are happy with Honda, but some want the Audi. Know what I mean?

For the most part, I think people are friendly in the 518. You will find a different political vibe compared to the Bay Area. The Saratoga area is more moderate with some pockets of more left and others more right.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 12:42 PM

3 posts, read 19,633 times
I moved here from Suffolk County and never looked back. I highly recommend the east side. Close to everything. Good luck and I promise you, you won’t regret moving up here.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:47 PM

1 posts, read 554 times
Stillwater town is nice place to live. School district is good and houses are affordable.

Old 11-17-2018, 07:01 AM

611 posts, read 1,846,053 times
Too many Long Islanders up here... they all want out of Nassau and Suffolk but most of them want all of the lifestyle they left behind. I actually like Long Islanders (my Dad is one..) but I have heard so many of them gripe about winter up here, it makes me tempted to offer them a bus ticket to leave! It's largely a cultural mismatch (we would see them in Connecticut as well...). They are generally a discontented weed...a lot of them up here are running from something and unemployed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area