Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 10:45 PM

32 posts, read 32,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Schuylerville (outside the town) and Greenwich there is plenty of farming area or homes with acreage. Close enough to get to Albany airport (a neighbor is a pilot) and 10-15 miles from shopping.
Great, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 11:27 AM

885 posts, read 1,167,084 times
In the Albany or Schenectady areas no one will even think twice about your interracial family. I think Connecticut will be very expensive and along with New England states, a little more conservative.

At your housing budget you can get a large farm with a great house and barns etc. There is farmland in all directions from either Albany or Schenectady.

Medical care in either area is very good. Albany has Albany Medical Center. I don't know about Connecticut, but the other New England states usually travel to Boston for anything major.

Internet is spotty. The cities have it, most rural places don't. Sometimes a rural area will have it because it's in an area where the internet is going to another place. So anyplace you choice that would be one thing you need to enquire about.

The bigger cities will also have more private school choices. The rural areas don't. So again something to look into before you decide on a place. There is also a lot of homeschooling up here. If you have any more questions just send me a message.

Old 03-26-2017, 10:30 AM

This is great information, thank you!

Old 03-26-2017, 10:32 AM

11 posts, read 14,443 times
We moved to upstate for my husbands job over 30 years ago, its cold, its rainy, its boring and we can not wait to leave. I have to say it was a good place to raise children but it is expensive and over taxed, just real estate taxes alone are outrageous and you get nothing for your money.....Just a thought bf you make the final move

Old 03-26-2017, 10:44 AM

Thanks, rosy9959 for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:02 AM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 296539 View Post
Thanks, rosy9959 for the feedback, I appreciate it.
Albany's overall cost of living is around or a little over the national average. So, it isn't as expensive as you may think it is. General housing affordability in relation to median family income is relatively good in comparison: http://www.nahb.org/~/media/Sites/NA...416.ashx?la=en

http://www.nahb.org/en/research/hous...ity-index.aspx

So, employment/pay will play a part in terms of housing, where to look, etc.

It will depend on your preferences as well.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:07 AM

4 posts, read 4,237 times
If you are still looking to potentially move to the Albany Area there are some very beautiful areas with acreage I think you would love. The following counties have great potential for you: Schenectady County, Schoarie County, Washington County and Montgomery County. All have rural areas that have acreage but are not too far from shopping, entertainment, etc...

- James Hardy

Old 04-04-2017, 05:24 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,551,658 times
Just a note: If you do some research on the highest ranked schools in upstate, NY, you will also likely find some of the best communities to live in. I would consider these schools as the education is excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area