Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 10:45 PM

32 posts, read 32,341 times

Advertisements

Good evening,

I will be making a career change soon, which allows me to live anywhere in the U.S. and work from home with ocassional travel. My family lives in Las Vegas, NV and with two young daughters, we have decided this is not where we want to raise our family anymore. Our desire is to relocate to the northeastern U.S. and specifically we are looking at: Upstate New York (e.g., Saratoga Springs, Albany, Plattsburgh), Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Connecticut, and Massachusetts (Berkshires).

I have read a ton of blogs, websites, and this forum but haven't quite found the information I am looking for. As background on my family, we are transracial (my wife and I are white, we adopted two girls at birth who are black - they are now 7 and 11 years old). One nice thing about Vegas is - no one cares or even thinks twice about our family. We lived in a smaller town in another state before Vegas and we had problems with both whites and blacks who did not approve of our family and we certainly do not want to deal with that again.

A few other points for consideration: Our kids attend an accredited christian-based school online, so we are not concerned with school districts and I will need to be within an hour or two of a decent sized airport (e.g., Burlington or Albany airport would be just fine as an example). We are also a very active family and beyond what we could do on our own property, we would like easy access to trails, hiking, biking, etc. in proximity to where we live.

Ideally, we would like to find some private property (10+ acres) that either has a home on it or we can build, that is secluded but also within an hour or less drive of a metropolitan area that has things to do, stores, restaurants, etc. as well as to the airport. My wife would like to do some organic farming/homesteading on the property too. Our budget for housing is around $600K.

In addition to the above, our desires/requirements in our new area are:
  • Racial acceptance/tolerance
  • Good healthcare in the area (no specific needs but nice to know a competent ER is fairly close)
  • Dependable high-speed Internet (absolute requirement for my job)
  • Property conducive to homesteading/farming
  • Church in the area (we currently attend a Calvary Chapel) so looking for non-denominational that is either a Calvary Chapel or similar that provides expository teaching

Thank you in advance for your time and any information you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 03:00 AM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
What about employment? Are you looking specifically in the Albany area or are you open to other parts of Upstate NY?

Old 01-29-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about employment? Are you looking specifically in the Albany area or are you open to other parts of Upstate NY?
I will be working from home with occasional travel (which is why I need to be within an hour or so of a decent size airport).

Old 01-29-2017, 11:37 AM

150 posts, read 300,445 times
You might want to consider Greenfield which is the next town over from Saratoga Springs. I know several people who live there, have acreage, chickens etc. Its rural but you can get to everything (e..g shopping, northway, etc) very quickly .

Town of Greenfield - Home

Old 01-29-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 296539 View Post
I will be working from home with occasional travel (which is why I need to be within an hour or so of a decent size airport).
So, are you just looking in the Albany area or are you open to other parts of Upstate NY? There are other areas in Upstate NY that have a decent sized airport. I'm just asking in order to see what options you have, as you may have more than you may realize.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
So, are you just looking in the Albany area or are you open to other parts of Upstate NY? There are other areas in Upstate NY that have a decent sized airport. I'm just asking in order to see what options you have, as you may have more than you may realize.
Good question, ckhthankgod - we are not necessarily tied to the Albany area (or any area for that matter) so any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Old 01-30-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 296539 View Post
Good question, ckhthankgod - we are not necessarily tied to the Albany area (or any area for that matter) so any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
No problem and not to necessarily persuade to not move to the Albany area, but Buffalo and Rochester have airports with similar rates. Syracuse has a decent sized airport as well, but check rates depending upon which airline you use, as they can be a little bit higher than the other airports.

All of those areas are close to hiking, biking and other trails.

I'd say to look into small college town areas like say Hamilton, Geneseo, Clinton, Morrisville, etc or perhaps areas that are rural with some visible degree of diversity like some small towns in Wayne(Lyons, Clyde, Sodus, Newark, Williamson) and Orleans(towns outside of the villages of Albion or Medina like Gaines, Shelby and Ridgeway or Carlton) counties or that have an underground history like LeRoy, the Caledonia-Mumford area, Peterboro/town of Smithfield(in Morrisville-Eaton SD) in Madison County, among others.

Perhaps even rural areas near Watertown/Fort Drum in say the Indian River, Carthage and General Brown SD's may work due to the diversity the military brings to those districts(especially IR and Carthage)/area.

Rural outside of Ithaca like Ulysses/Trumansburg, Enfield, Newfield, Groton and parts of towns such as Lansing and Dryden also come to mind.

Near Albany, Chatham, the Ravena-Coeymans-Selkirk area, other parts of Saratoga County and perhaps Voorheesville area some others to look into.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-30-2017 at 09:00 AM..

Old 01-30-2017, 07:58 PM

Thanks, ckhthankgod! We will start checking into those.

Old 01-31-2017, 04:32 AM

No problem and another area that also came to mind is the area of Western/NW Monroe County around Brockport. It also is a college town surrounded by rural areas.

Closer to Albany, rural areas just outside of Hudson or Catskill may be worth a look as well.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:42 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,654,623 times
Schuylerville (outside the town) and Greenwich there is plenty of farming area or homes with acreage. Close enough to get to Albany airport (a neighbor is a pilot) and 10-15 miles from shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area