Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2016, 08:10 PM

5 posts, read 12,413 times

Advertisements

Hello! Our family is moving to the Saratoga Springs area. We have lived in Arkansas for our whole lives. We are agnostic liberals and that is not the norm around here. We have a hard time making friends here because of that, and we want to move to a more socially liberal and less religious place. Everything here revolves around church. Even public school activities are held in churches. We can't even sign our kids up for a basketball team without it involving prayer first. That's totally okay if that's your thing, but it's not for us. So, we would like to meet some people that are at least more like minded than us! If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!!! Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 03:17 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Have you looked into groups in the immediate area?

Old 12-30-2016, 10:40 AM

15 posts, read 18,171 times
It's definitely more liberal than what you described. That part of upstate NY is somewhat of a mix of liberals and conservatives. Saratoga Springs itself is more liberal but the surrounding areas tend to be more conservative. That being said, I grew up in the Saratoga area (but not in Saratoga Springs itself) in a non-religious household. I did not feel like religion was "in your face" at all. Certainly there were no prayers held in school or at school activities. I hope this helps answer your questions.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:48 AM

2,478 posts, read 1,545,581 times
I think you found an awesome place to live, whether it be through luck or careful planning. Upstate NY is generally conservative, though in my experience not oppressively so. Saratoga is full of culture with SPAC and Skidmore College, among other venues, such as the Yaddo writing retreat and the Lincoln Baths. Big horse town (Saratoga Race Track), which makes it congested during the end of July through August. Gorgeous place. I don't think you will have a problem with folks being too conservative. We have some of that New England attitude: we care for our neighbors, but we also like our fences.
Best of luck.

Old 01-02-2017, 04:57 PM

150 posts, read 300,468 times
I suggest you check out the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Saratoga Springs.. a liberal and welcoming community for all people
UU Congregation of Saratoga Springs

Welcome to our town!

Old 01-03-2017, 05:43 PM

312 posts, read 354,405 times
Kworth1720, my husband is originally from Texas and lived with me briefly in New York (Albany area) before we moved back down south. In his estimation, "a New York Republican is still more liberal than a Texas Democrat." You'll find what you're looking for in Saratoga.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:00 AM

625 posts, read 902,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella Tiger Moth View Post
Kworth1720, my husband is originally from Texas and lived with me briefly in New York (Albany area) before we moved back down south. In his estimation, "a New York Republican is still more liberal than a Texas Democrat." You'll find what you're looking for in Saratoga.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:04 AM

885 posts, read 1,166,120 times
Saratoga county is very nice and is growing fast.

Saratoga Springs is very expensive to live in. NYS in general has high taxes, especially compared to what you are use to. That being said, I think you will really like it here.

There are some nice areas in the Saratoga "area", that are affordable. Being from Ak, you will be in for a culture shock for the prices of things, but you should be able to get a decent paying job here, especially if you are willing to commute to Albany (south) or Schenectady (southwest), and possibly Glens Falls (north).

Saratoga county is also now up and coming with tech jobs.

No one here rubs religion or politics in your face. The larger areas of NYS are more purple than either blue or red. Probably more red in central and western NY especially away from the big cities. More blue as you go south towards NYC and Long Island.

We are very liberal, and have a few liberal friends, and many conservative friends. None of us are very religious or church goers. In fact I don't think I know anyone who goes to church. We all just get along.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:08 PM

5 posts, read 12,413 times
Thank you so much for your reply! Actually sales tax and income tax will be lower for us in Saratoga. Property taxes are just a tad bit more, but we will not mind paying that at all. The public schools are horrible here and that is what our property taxes are supposed to pay for, But instead we pay $30,000 a year to private schools. So we should be saving quite a bit moving from Little Rock to Saratoga, since we will be using public schools there.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:42 AM

70 posts, read 125,804 times
Default Sounds like a good place for you

If there is one thing you get in New York State for your high property taxes, it good public schools. And no, religion is definitely not an big thing up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area