U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-05-2017, 08:00 AM
 
65,479 posts, read 91,284,819 times
Reputation: 14330

Advertisements

Are there any new city neighborhoods that are seeing any revitalization or gentrification in the area? This is including small cities such as Cohoes, Watervliet and Rensselaer. I know that Cohoes has seen some degree of revitalization, but is there more occurring there or in other cities in the area?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-08-2017, 10:32 AM
 
Location: Watervliet, NY
5,166 posts, read 2,230,540 times
Reputation: 9623
I live in Watervliet, right behind Delollo's, and I just hope that neighborhood doesn't go downhill. I'm right off of 19th St., but it is like a pocket of peace and quiet. No ghetto-blasters, no loud house parties after midnight in the summer. I don't even think they have a Neighborhood Watch (something the neighborhood I moved from, Mont Pleasant in Sch'dy definitely needs!!).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2017, 01:37 PM
 
65,479 posts, read 91,284,819 times
Reputation: 14330
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I live in Watervliet, right behind Delollo's, and I just hope that neighborhood doesn't go downhill. I'm right off of 19th St., but it is like a pocket of peace and quiet. No ghetto-blasters, no loud house parties after midnight in the summer. I don't even think they have a Neighborhood Watch (something the neighborhood I moved from, Mont Pleasant in Sch'dy definitely needs!!).
I'm thinking in terms of revitalization due to the more industrial or formerly industrial nature of parts of those cities. For instance, are there more revitalization projects like or similar to this?: Albany Apartments for Rent | Pet Friendly, Corporate Rentals, Upscale Amenities
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2017, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Watervliet, NY
5,166 posts, read 2,230,540 times
Reputation: 9623
Well, there are the apartments going up in downtown Schenectady around the casino that are supposed to be "luxury." They are also building apartments in Rotterdam, IIRC where the Curry Shopping Center used to be on Curry Road.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2017, 10:38 AM
 
233 posts, read 250,569 times
Reputation: 383
It may be a bit early for me to comment as I haven't lived here long and haven't visited most of the smaller cities around .. but I work in the Engineering/Construction Industry- and my job is to know what's being planned.. and what's being built (at least the big stuff)!


So far, the only real notable development action is in Schenectady- just beyond the new casino they are working on Mohawk Harbor- Mohawk Harbor Schenectady


In Troy, they are redeveloping Monument Square- in downtown- to include a movie theater, additional parking and retail. The new new plan for 1 Monument Square | All Over Albany . I heard Troy is also planning on adding 2 new hotels downtown (but this project may account for 1 of those- as a hotel was also proposed for this location-but lost).


Troy also recently had a MasterPlan developed - the first one since 1962... which is a big deal! They are trying to revitalize the city, making it more walkable and finally trying to take advantage of the waterfront... Which Albany cannot do!


I can't think of anything cool or major going on in Albany...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2017, 01:04 PM
 
65,479 posts, read 91,284,819 times
Reputation: 14330
Quote:
Originally Posted by mls012 View Post
It may be a bit early for me to comment as I haven't lived here long and haven't visited most of the smaller cities around .. but I work in the Engineering/Construction Industry- and my job is to know what's being planned.. and what's being built (at least the big stuff)!


So far, the only real notable development action is in Schenectady- just beyond the new casino they are working on Mohawk Harbor- Mohawk Harbor Schenectady


In Troy, they are redeveloping Monument Square- in downtown- to include a movie theater, additional parking and retail. The new new plan for 1 Monument Square | All Over Albany . I heard Troy is also planning on adding 2 new hotels downtown (but this project may account for 1 of those- as a hotel was also proposed for this location-but lost).


Troy also recently had a MasterPlan developed - the first one since 1962... which is a big deal! They are trying to revitalize the city, making it more walkable and finally trying to take advantage of the waterfront... Which Albany cannot do!


I can't think of anything cool or major going on in Albany...
Thanks for this! It is nice to see that Schenectady has more planned for the city, as it seemed like it isn't mentioned as much as Albany, Troy or Saratoga Springs in regards to development or as an urban option when people look into the area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2017, 02:36 PM
 
65,479 posts, read 91,284,819 times
Reputation: 14330
Is this a new development?: The Tilley Lofts - Historic apartment renovation in Menands NY
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2017, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Watervliet, NY
5,166 posts, read 2,230,540 times
Reputation: 9623
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yes, recent, according to this article from December 2015.

Tilley Lofts apartments open in Watervliet - Times Union

Quote:
Tilley Lofts, one of the nation's most energy-efficient residential developments, opened Wednesday with a ribbon-cutting and speeches, including one by Bob Howland, the 90-year-old descendant of the founding family and the last person to run the Tilley Ladder Co. factory that once occupied the space.
The $8 million project is just about complete, with all but four of its 62 apartments rented. With a combined heat and power unit, plus geothermal heating and cooling, the building emits half the carbon dioxide of a new structure built to modern construction standards, said John Blackburn, a partner in Redburn Development, which converted the factory to apartments.

Tilley Lofts has proven popular both with renters in their late 20s and 30s, as well as to empty-nesters and other older adults who are leaving home ownership behind.
"Modern renters want convenience," Rossi said.
Apartments range from 750 square feet for a one-bedroom unit to 1,600 square feet for two-story loft spaces. Tilley Lofts also offers what's called "all-in living," in which it charges a monthly flat fee for high-speed Internet, HDTV, electricity, heating and cooling, and water. The fee ranges from $135 for a one-bedroom unit to $168 for the largest units.
Blackburn estimated tenants pay about half what they would for the services separately. Heat from a combined heat and power unit is recaptured to run through a heat recovery turbine, producing additional electricity.
"We're actually generating electricity at the same efficiency percentages as a large natural gas power generating facility," Blackburn said.
The building is registered to achieve platinum status, the highest certification under the U.S. Green Building Council's Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design program.
Rents range from $800 to $1,500.
Tilley family descendants, touring the building for the first time since the ladder factory closed 10 years ago, were impressed by the transformation.
"I've never seen the basement this clean," one family member said as she left the elevator to tour the heating and cooling area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2017, 11:56 AM
 
13 posts, read 30,578 times
Reputation: 67
There is significant rehabilitation going on in downtown Albany, mainly in the conversion of office buildings to apartments, but there is also new construction. Another big project is in the Hudson Park neighborhood of Albany just south of Center Square. Long Energy's old building is being converted into like 75 apartment units. Also, the warehouse district in Albany is seeing a lot of rehabs. That's just north of downtown on your way to Menands.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2017, 02:57 PM
 
65,479 posts, read 91,284,819 times
Reputation: 14330
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyt23 View Post
There is significant rehabilitation going on in downtown Albany, mainly in the conversion of office buildings to apartments, but there is also new construction. Another big project is in the Hudson Park neighborhood of Albany just south of Center Square. Long Energy's old building is being converted into like 75 apartment units. Also, the warehouse district in Albany is seeing a lot of rehabs. That's just north of downtown on your way to Menands.
Is the warehouse district a part of Arbor Hill or is it a separate district in the general area?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top