U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 02:11 PM

718 posts, read 1,509,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just so this thread doesn't get hijacked with non Albany area stuff, if you want to know more about Syracuse, you could start a thread in that forum. There is some information in the one thread you posted in, but there may be some other things you may want to ask about in terms of the area.
I started a thread in the Syracuse forum?! Oh crap, I don't remember doing that. I need to keep better track.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 02:26 PM

65,767 posts, read 91,653,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
I started a thread in the Syracuse forum?! Oh crap, I don't remember doing that. I need to keep better track.
No, I was saying that it would be a good idea to start one if you are interested in the area.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:55 PM

Yes, thanks. I'm gathering info a few places at a time and making note of whatever comes to my attention. I've been posting here and there with inquiries, and when someplace is mentioned that sounds good, I keep it in mind and post when I'm ready to move on to a new area for gathering more info. If I have too many inquiry threads going on at once, it gets to be information overload for me.

Before I start investigating somewhere else, I would still love to read more about the Albany area.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:30 AM

5,216 posts, read 2,262,642 times
Quote:
Oh, I'm open to a lot of places anywhere except the southernmost states, because I don't do well with heat and humidity (or bugs!). I prefer cooler temps and four seasons.
We definitely have heat! We had one day last August when the heat index was at 99, that was one beastly hot day! I had to wrap my cat in a wet dish towel, because she was panting for hours and lying on the tile floor in my closet trying to keep cool. But it is no where near as bad as the southern states. You do need to be mindful of ticks and Lyme disease; I know two people who have gotten it in recent years.

Weather is definitely a mixed bag here. Recently, on 2/24 it was in the 70's less than two weeks after we had gotten a major snowstorm (on 2/12). Last weekend we had wind advisories and temps in the single digits (wind chills in the negative), this past weekend the temps were in the single digits, and now we're supposed to get a major snow storm starting tonight and going into tomorrow, up to 16" for the Capital District, if not more. Just in time for the 24th anniversary of the March 1993 blizzard that closed the NYS Thruway.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
That sounds good. And I hate granite countertops, LOL! Are there lots of apartments in two family houses around the area?
It's funny, when I got the place I have now, I wasn't actually doing any serious looking, I was just feeling frustrated with my living situation (living with parents, hot day in July, tired of commuting 16 miles OT to work), so I was just putting out feelers myself to see if I could find anything. I went on hotpads.com and started looking at places just to get a feel for what was available, and I stumbled on the place I ended up applying and getting accepted for.

From what I can tell in my area of Watervliet, there are nothing but 2-family houses. I don't see any driveways on my block (my landlord said our house was built in 1892).

Old 03-15-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
It's funny, when I got the place I have now, I wasn't actually doing any serious looking, I was just feeling frustrated with my living situation (living with parents, hot day in July, tired of commuting 16 miles OT to work), so I was just putting out feelers myself to see if I could find anything. I went on hotpads.com and started looking at places just to get a feel for what was available, and I stumbled on the place I ended up applying and getting accepted for.

From what I can tell in my area of Watervliet, there are nothing but 2-family houses. I don't see any driveways on my block (my landlord said our house was built in 1892).
Interesting! I'll have to break out the Google Street View!

Old 03-20-2017, 12:34 PM

134 posts, read 82,852 times
Quote:
Hello all,
Would anyone care to share opinions on how possible or feasible it would be to live and work in Albany without a car? I would be looking for an administrative position (Exec. Asst., Office Mgr., etc.) or, as a last resort, Retail Manager. I'd like to find a studio or 1-BR apartment (or a share if necessary) for less than $1000/mo., preferably within proximity to a walkable area with shopping (groceries and necessities, not designer clothing, LOL) and restaurants. Of course, job and apartment should be relatively near public transportation. I'm in NYC now, don't own a car, and don't see myself buying one for a while yet.

Is all that possible in Albany?
Look no further then the very first reply you got here. I second that the ideal locations for you are Delaware Ave area, and Pine Hills. If you do not want to own a car, then stick in these areas. You should not have any problem finding an apartment under $1000 in those areas. Other areas will likely require a ride on the 905. Not a bus you want to be on with any regularity.

Take a look at what you can get around Delaware Plaza in Delmar/Bethlehem, as well as Pine Hills, in the South Main/South Manning vicinity.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:54 AM

I'll say one thing... come here without a car you'll be at an advantage over the 200 people whose cars got towed in Albany last week after the 2 feet of snow we got on Tuesday!

I can't understand why people in that city can't seem to pay attention to the snow emergency notices. They've been doing odd-even side parking for as long as I can remember. I've never lived in Albany, but I seem to be more in the know when they call an emergency than the folks who do.

Watervliet, OTOH, only towed 25 cars. They also have an alert system that you can sign up for that will notify you, as soon as they decide when the emergency is going to be (this storm it was for last Thursday starting at 7 AM), through email, voice mail, or text (or a combo of those 3) leading up the the designated day/time. They were inundating us with alerts, I must have received at least 5 or 6 in two days. And I get the 3-pack combo!

Old 03-21-2017, 10:35 AM
Q44

895 posts, read 858,372 times
^^ Then you see the people on the news in Schenectady that followed the odd-even parking rules following the snow emergency and their streets still have not been plowed.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
^^ Then you see the people on the news in Schenectady that followed the odd-even parking rules following the snow emergency and their streets still have not been plowed.
Schenectady does not do odd-even parking for snow emergencies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area